Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question about cases and The Cup at the Expo

Hey all

I'm going to the Expo again this year. I went in April for the first time in like 10 years since I got out of cards. I have some money to spend and I do breaks online. I'm wondering what people's experience are with buying cases at the show. Do a lot of places bring them? I could it not happening because it's a waste of booth space but that's what I'm asking you guys for! Is there any kind of "show discount" or anything? Maybe not a discount per se but cheaper than ordering online with taxes and shipping etc. I know I grabbed a couple boxes of Certified last year at the show for $90 tax in which was a pretty good deal for what was around.

Also the same question for this year's version of The Cup (minus the part about whether dealers will have it there) Any kind of discount or benefit to buying there? Right now when I break them I'm paying $500 tax in per box. That's a cheap price that I've seen considering my other two go-to places are 499+ and 489+ respectively.

Just wondering if some higher end stuff has the same thing going on. Anyone have a bit of insight on this?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I open a fair amount of cases and I find it more expensive at the show. To be fair I live on the border and can cross to pick up product myself and it works out cheaper. If you are comparing it to your LCS or ebay with taxes and shipping it is cheaper at the card show.

When Pittsburgh sportscard wholesale was allowed at the show they had some really good prices...too bad they were kicked out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

Why were thye kicked out?

BANNED

Country

Correct me if am wrong, but pitssburgh wholesaler came to the expo selling their boxes for much lower than the average canadian seller price. Some boxes are cheaper in the USA so they had reason to do so, but they were kicked out because it was taking business away from Canadian stores with higher, yet standard, box prices. I believe the expo gave them a few chances to correct the prices and raise them to the canadian normal, but they kept them in USA prices.

Same goes for DA card world, DA is not allowed to sell boxes or cases at the expo because of the fact that the boxes and cases they get are from the USA and are far more cheaper than boxes in Canada. DA is allowed in but only to advertise. Pittsburgh card wholesaler is not allowed in because they were given a chance but did not accept it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Now that the dollar in on par this shouldn't be an issue so perhaps the Canadian Distrbutors are the problem.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sigh...only in Canada would we complain about competition. This is the reason so many Canadians cross the border as the competition in Canada is a joke. To be honest cassy118 there are so many things wrong about what you said I am just going to drop it.

Jogesc2....they were kicked out because Universal and Grosner complained. They both threatened Al that they would pull out if Pittsburgh was allowed back.

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

Now that the dollar in on par this shouldn't be an issue so perhaps the Canadian Distrbutors are the problem.

That means squat now. There used to be a time when you went in to the LCS when the dollar was high and get some good deals. Now, nadda. All the LCS's seem to have a rigid price regardless. Blame the distributors as well, it's a merrygoround of fun.
    Last edited by jonpop; 11-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sigh...only in Canada would we complain about competition. This is the reason so many Canadians cross the border as the competition in Canada is a joke. To be honest cassy118 there are so many things wrong about what you said I am just going to drop it.

Jogesc2....they were kicked out because Universal and Grosner complained. They both threatened Al that they would pull out if Pittsburgh was allowed back.

What he said. So sad. So disgustingly sad. AND a microcosm of why Canadians will ALWAYS pay more for items. Whether it's clothes, cars or hockey cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

I bought a hobby box of 07/08 Parkhurst from them (Pittsburgh) a couple of years ago at the Expo for $75 and I thought that was a good price. They had other boxes there at good prices as well but nothing blowout crazy or anything.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I open a fair amount of cases and I find it more expensive at the show. To be fair I live on the border and can cross to pick up product myself and it works out cheaper. If you are comparing it to your LCS or ebay with taxes and shipping it is cheaper at the card show.

When Pittsburgh sportscard wholesale was allowed at the show they had some really good prices...too bad they were kicked out.

You're probably right. It might be cheap for me as a Canadian.

Also interesting conversation that has erupted. I didn't know about Pittsburgh Sports Cards being kicked out.

It is pretty ridiculous. I like supporting the local businesses but when I can buy two boxes of Contenders from Blowout Cards for $140 including shipping (and the last time I didn't get charged any duty) or from my LCS for $240 + tax which comes to about $270 there is no comparison. The only difference is obviously I have to wait for it to ship. But if I really need it soon I'll go through UPS and deal with the extra brokerage fees because they still come out less than buying around here. I've also been buying boxes from eBay sellers quite a bit. It's definitely driving my business away from Canadian retailers.