Card Grading Question

In all of the years I have been collecting, I have yet to send a card off for grading. When I was younger it was a fear of losing the card in the mail and now that im older I just don't think about it. I am now thinking about sending off a few cards for grading and had a question. Does anyone know how much of an impact the surface condition of a card makes in the grade? I have a couple of Topps Chrome cards that have a light scuff or two on the front, only seen when held up to a light. Will a scuff or two have a major impact on the grade? If so, I will save my money on these two. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

-Josh
    Hidden Content
    (Joshtastic) Blowoutcards.com Rating is 100% w/ 20 Feedback
    (EJamesPManning) TraderRetreat.com Rating is 100% w/ 22 Feedback

Yes. A single minor scuff may lower the surface 1 point or less. A major scuff may take the grade down several points.
    2010 Topps Platinum Football SuperCollector
    Colt McCoy SuperCollector
    Hidden Content

If it's a very rare and kickass card, it's worth grading even if it's a little messed up because it will still have value. It will help people who would otherwise be scared to buy it ungraded. There are a lot of people who want certain cards but can't afford hundreds for a 9+ and will gladly buy your 6-8 card. If the cards in question are <$100 mint and someone stepped on them then it's probably not worth sending to get graded.
    Last edited by Ensley03; 11-09-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Scuffs do make a huge difference especially with BGS.If grading for personal collection your good but for resale make sure it is something of value and or short printed.
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Scuffs make a HUGE difference with BGS. I sent in my Randy Moss 98 Odyssey Hologold RC /150. I don't have the card in front of me so I don't have exact numbers, but if memory serves me correctly it got 9.5 on corners, 9.0 on centering, 9.0 on edges and 7.0 on surface. I was baffled by the surface grade and after holding it up at an angle to light I could see the slightest little scuff that was maybe 1/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch long that looked like it had been brushed by another card. If not for the low surface grade I don't think any normal person would even know the scuff was there. I owned the card for nearly 10 years (pulled it from the pack myself) and never knew it was scuffed.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Thanks for the responses everyone. The only card I would be sending off for possible resale is a rookie auto #ed to 5. It has 3 small scuffs that are barely visible when angled in a light. From the responses it sounds like I still need to send it in for grading. Thanks all!
    Hidden Content
    (Joshtastic) Blowoutcards.com Rating is 100% w/ 20 Feedback
    (EJamesPManning) TraderRetreat.com Rating is 100% w/ 22 Feedback

If it's for your PC just send it in, who really cares. I have a few cards that cost me more to grade then they are worth lol. I just like to get my PC cards slabbed for preservational purposes.