Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

The finale of Brien Taylor

a waste of talent

NEW BERN, N.C. -- Former New York Yankees pitching prospect Brien Taylor has been sentenced to 38 months in prison after pleading guilty in August to distributing crack cocaine.
    The 40-year-old Taylor told U.S. District Court Judge Louise W. Flanagan during Wednesday's sentencing hearing that he was sorry for causing so much pain to his family and his five daughters.

Brien Taylor, sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday, was the No. 1 overall selection in the 1991 draft and got a then-record $1.55 million signing bonus, but he never threw a pitch in the major leagues.

Taylor was arrested in March. The Carteret County Sheriff's Office said undercover narcotics agents bought a large quantity of cocaine and crack cocaine from him over several months.
    "This is a tragic story -- all too often our professional athletes spiral into criminal activity after an athletic disappointment or injury," Thomas Walker, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, told ESPN in a statement. "I think all of us hope that Mr. Taylor, like many others who have gone down this road, will put their activity behind them and move to a better place in their life."
    Taylor was represented by the federal public defender's office, which told ESPN it has no comment and neither does Taylor, adding that he declined ESPN's interview request.
    Taylor will also have three years of supervised release after his prison term. The federal system does not provide an opportunity for parole, but Taylor could potentially reduce his prison term by 15 percent with good behavior, according to the U.S. Attorney's office. Taylor is being held in the Pamlico County jail, pending transfer to a federal prison.
    Taylor was the No. 1 overall selection in the 1991 draft and got a then-record $1.55 million signing bonus, but he never threw a pitch in the major leagues.
    Information from ESPN's Willie Weinbaum and The Associated Press was used in this report.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Yeah I remember him. I rember watching QVC and HSN back in '91 when they used to hawk cards and other memorbillia. They well touting him as the next big thing and his cards were flying off the shelf back then. So sad to see what happens to some of these ballplayers when the spotlight fades and they have to live in the real world.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

I still have a binder not a sheet but a binder of his rookies.What a waste of talent

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wonder if he will do any ttm from prison.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Taylor and Van Poppel.... UGH... though at least Todd made it for a few years

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See helmsbr's Items on eBay

I guess he is the best pitcher on his prison team

SCF Rewards
    Country

What about Matt Bush. He was the first pick of the '04 draft as was touted as the next big thing. He was recently sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison for his latest drunk driving arrest.

http://deadspin.com/5969544/matt-bus...-to-stay-clean

SCF Rewards
    Country

I missed this thanks Veggie I have 2 ttm from Bush now i can add to my felons collection

What about Matt Bush. He was the first pick of the '04 draft as was touted as the next big thing. He was recently sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison for his latest drunk driving arrest.

http://deadspin.com/5969544/matt-bus...-to-stay-clean

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

i have a stadium club fdi taylor lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is that an auto card?

i have a stadium club fdi taylor lol