Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries
    Country
    See HBlumUSMC's Items on eBay

Need recommendation for a 1991-1992 hockey set

I'm merely looking to get a box for TTM, though I'm not sure which box I should get Score, Proset, Topps, O Pee Chee? Does anyone here have any recommendations?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I like Pinnacle or Score US, although UD has some nice rookies (Selanne, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Hasek, Yashin, Kovalev, etc...)
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I would go to a site like COMC.com and take a look at the base cards from the sets to see which would look best signed. My choice would probably be Upper Deck, based on the design and some of the cool subsets, such as Art Card Checklists, and Canada Cup cards.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Pro Set looks pretty awful that year (1990-91 Pro Set, IMO, looked great - the other years, not so much).

Score's set that year is pretty large, it wouldn't be a bad choice.

OPC, I think you'll be dissapointed with. Not a bad looking set.... but the autos won't look as nice on this one as others.

Pinnacle is probably the best looking set that was available that year - but the cards are very glossy, so not sure how good they'd be for autos.

Upper Deck, IMO, would be your best bet. You should be able to get an entire set for about $25, maybe $30. Clean design, a lot of white on the cards, not too much gloss. Those would be the best ones for signing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habs1909_2009's Items on eBay

I'd also go with UD.
    1- P.K Subban - Vlad Guerrero (Expos)
    2- Montreal Canadiens Centennial auto'd (current count: 125)
    3- Brian Gionta 10-11 Panini Certified Mirror Emerald, Black and Big men jersey auto
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

How many TTM are you planning to send dude? Box isn't the best way to go for those imo, might not get the players you wanna send it to. Go on eBay and search 1991 complete set under hockey cards. There's are complete base sets on sale with bidding starting at $1.:
    http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Hockey-/216/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1991%20complete%20set&_sop=2

What I would do if I were you though is to go on sportlots.com. You can get any base card for 18 cents usually. Just search 1991 under hockey. Obviously nice thing about that is that you can pick cards from different sets. The one I like the most in terms of design from then is O-Pee-Chee and Topps (also shows more career stats I think). To save on shipping since the cards are sold by different sellers and each charges separately, I'd recommend getting most of your cards from cttcdork or marblesx or barriere because those users all have a tonne of cards so you can just find one for each player you want by ordering from one of them. They have a greater variety there than COMC and the average cost per card including shipping should be less than 30 cents assuming it's a large order and you don't order them from more than 2 or 3 different sellers. Let us know how the TTM's go if you send them.

Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for all the input, I might check out COMC, and I think I will go with UD since I do want plenty of white background, I still might buy a box since its cheap on ebay and just like the 1990 Proset Football I bought for TTM, half od it went out on TTM and I bought an extra box and completed the set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 416gibby's Items on eBay

I would not get Upper Deck if your are going to get them signed because of the UV coating ( very good chance your autos will be faded over time )

Score or OPC would be best IMHO

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

The two best sets for 91-92 Hockey are as follows:

UD Czech, has every junior Rookie card of some guys whom UD and other companies said weren't rookies until a few years later.

Parkhurst French - Harder to find Rookies of Lidstrom, Tkachuk, Niedermayer, Konstantinov.

Upper Deck main issue is far too common and there were around 200,000 cases printed of the stuff.

Blog Entries
    Country

Well decided to give SportLots a try and I love it, for around $11.00DLVD I was able to pick up 42 Score and Topps cards and ALL of them will be going out for TTM's, I love it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast