Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hockey Hall of Fame: Who deserves to get the call?

This weekend, the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto will welcome Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, Adam Oates and Pavel Bure to its ranks.

GALLERY: Hockey Hall of Fame's Class of 2012

Several other players who recently retired have already come up for consideration or will soon. Here's a look at some of the most notable and their chances of future induction.

Mike Modano

The all-time points leader among U.S.-born players was the face of the Stars franchise in both Minnesota and Dallas. He totaled 561 goals and 1,374 points in a storied career and will always be known for the flowing jersey that trailed behind him as he blew past defenders on a rink-length rush up the ice. In 1999, Modano collected 23 points in 23 postseason games even though he wore a cast on his broken hand while leading the Stars to their only Stanley Cup.

My prediction: Certain.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2BokyQUEq

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

a favorite of mine

Brendan Shanahan

One of the toughest power forwards in the history of the game is now a power executive as the NHL's lord of discipline, doling out supplemental punishment for those who break the rules. Between 1987 and 2009, Shanahan played for five teams, including two stints with the Devils, and collected 656 goals (twice topping 50, with the Blues), 698 assists, and 2,489 penalty minutes. That's like having a Gordie Howe hat trick for life. The crowns on his career: Shanahan won Stanley Cups with the Red Wings in 1997, 1998 and 2002.
    Prediction: Certain.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2Bopa35SB

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

i think these guys will get in
    Modano
    lidstrom
    chelios
    hasek
    federov
    forsberg
    shanny
    the others listed, i don't know. Maybe Recchi

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Phil Housley keeps getting passed by.

First American Born Defenseman to score 1,000 points. Mark Recchi with 577 Goals has almost 100 more goals than Fedorov, and he has more points than Fedorov. Vinny Damphousse has more points than Fedorov.

Pat Verbeek has 522 Goals and also deserves to be in at some point.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Phil Housley keeps getting passed by.

First American Born Defenseman to score 1,000 points. Mark Recchi with 577 Goals has almost 100 more goals than Fedorov, and he has more points than Fedorov. Vinny Damphousse has more points than Fedorov.

Pat Verbeek has 522 Goals and also deserves to be in at some point.

yes, they both should be in, especially housley

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

TSN did a much better write up here:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=70789

I say much better, because they talk about guys that could get in next year...... not guys that will get in, eventually. Lidstom - we all know he is a lock to get in on his first ballot..... but that won't be until 2015.

Anyway, looking just at players.... if I had to bet on four names for next year, I'd go with: Andreychuk (640 goals are just too many not to put him in), Rob Blake & Scott Neidermayer (along with Lidstrom & Pronger, would be the best defenceman of their generation), and Brendan Shanahan (only reason he was kept out this year, I think, was fear of the optics of putting an NHL VP in on his first ballot). and Chelios (pretty obvious).

I know that's five, and only four will go at a time.... Andreychuk is probably the odd man out on that list, but whatever.

As for other guys on that list (TSN), I'd put them into four categories:

Locks: Shanahan, Neidermayer, Chelios, Blake
    Likely: Housley, Andrychuck
    Bubble: Roenick, Lowe, Lindros, Fleury, Brind'Amour, Carbonneau
    No Chance: Tkachuk, Naslund, Roberts, LeClair, Karyia, Guerrin

BANNED

Country

TSN did a much better write up here:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=70789

I say much better, because they talk about guys that could get in next year...... not guys that will get in, eventually. Lidstom - we all know he is a lock to get in on his first ballot..... but that won't be until 2015.

Anyway, looking just at players.... if I had to bet on four names for next year, I'd go with: Andreychuk (640 goals are just too many not to put him in), Rob Blake & Scott Neidermayer (along with Lidstrom & Pronger, would be the best defenceman of their generation), and Brendan Shanahan (only reason he was kept out this year, I think, was fear of the optics of putting an NHL VP in on his first ballot). and Chelios (pretty obvious).

I know that's five, and only four will go at a time.... Andreychuk is probably the odd man out on that list, but whatever.

As for other guys on that list (TSN), I'd put them into four categories:

Locks: Shanahan, Neidermayer, Chelios, Blake
    Likely: Housley, Andrychuck
    Bubble: Roenick, Lowe, Lindros, Fleury, Brind'Amour, Carbonneau
    No Chance: Tkachuk, Naslund, Roberts, LeClair, Karyia, Guerrin

Carbonneau, Lowe, Roberts, LeClair, Karya, Lindros, Naslund, and Guerin don't belong anywhere near the Hall.

Tkachuk has 538 goals, and 527 Assists. Tons more points than Neely. Like Oates and Vinny D. he player on some garbage teams, but based on personal performance will eventually get the nod.

Roenick is not on the bubble and will be going in. Perhaps not right away but down the road.

Everybody forgets Cujo, he will be in as well at some point.
    Last edited by centrehice; 11-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

I will rant in more depth about why I'm a very pro-Lindros-to-the-hall guy, but next year's class should feature Blake, Chelios, Niedermayer, and then one of Shanahan or Pat Burns. It makes sense to keep those 3 generational D-men together for their induction.

Lindros nowhere near the hall??? Tim... I humbly disagree COMPLETELY. He won a cup, he won a Hart, he was the best player in the world in his prime... career numbers being shortened or not. If Bernie Federko gets in, Eric Lindros is a hall of famer, no questions asked!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Lindros before Housley, IMHO.

BANNED

Country

I will rant in more depth about why I'm a very pro-Lindros-to-the-hall guy, but next year's class should feature Blake, Chelios, Niedermayer, and then one of Shanahan or Pat Burns. It makes sense to keep those 3 generational D-men together for their induction.

Lindros nowhere near the hall??? Tim... I humbly disagree COMPLETELY. He won a cup, he won a Hart, he was the best player in the world in his prime... career numbers being shortened or not. If Bernie Federko gets in, Eric Lindros is a hall of famer, no questions asked!

Bernie Federko, Clark Gillies and Cam Neely were all HOF mistakes, severe mistakes. Especially Neely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast