Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Please Help Identifying An Autograph

I need a little help identifying an autograph I have. Last year I had passes to sit in a suite for a Jets game that contained some ex-players. I was able to get autographs in person from Burgess Owens and Randy Beverly. After Owens signed it, he handed my item to another ex-player sitting next to him. Problem is, I had no idea who this ex-player was. None of the people I asked knew either.

He looked to be about 50ish and is black. I was thinking this could perhaps be Otis Smith, but I’m really not sure. I’ve tried exploring many avenues to find out who it is, but still no success.

My closest guess is Otis Smith (it seems rather odd that it would be him I know) but that’s the only guess I have.

Does anyone have an idea whose signature this is? I would greatly appreciate any information anyone could offer. Thank you very much in advance.

-JoeAutograph Photo.jpg

SCF Rewards
    Country

can't help you, but cool story

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks bassman1282. It was quite the experience. It was really fun, getting to experience what the average fan doesn't noramlly get to experience. But I got to tell you, not knowing whose signature this is is driving me crazy! haha.

SCF Rewards
    Country

After a little more research, I'm thinking this could possibly be Al Toon. See the attachment as a comparison. Any thoughts?Al Toon 1.jpg
    Last edited by joedrake9091; 11-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See paper-history's Items on eBay

I don't think it is Al Toon. The "A" is different and Toon usuallysigns his name spaced out and not all clumped up like the top auto.

Dale

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey Dale,

This is a tough one. It's the only "mystery" autograph in my collection. Whoever signed it, it's almost like he didn't want anyone to know who he is.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roaddogg02316's Items on eBay

You may want to post about this in the autograph section. alot of good guys there to help you out.

It can be tough when something gets signed and they don't put a #. I know when I get index signed and am not sure who it was, I immediately go for a roster to find out who it was so I can put it in my log. But in your case it was a retired guy and he didn't put a #. That would have really helped. You could have researched a little.
    Another thought would be to look up alumni sites. I imagine it was a Jet alumni. Maybe they have pics of guys on there and you could tie 2 and 2 together by looking.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the tip. I just posted in the Autograph forum and will start checking out the alumni stuff. Do you have anything you'd recommend? It's like the worst signature in the history of signatures. A # would have gone a long way.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roaddogg02316's Items on eBay

Thanks for the tip. I just posted in the Autograph forum and will start checking out the alumni stuff. Do you have anything you'd recommend? It's like the worst signature in the history of signatures. A # would have gone a long way.

Not really. I haven't done anything TTM or IP with other sports besides hockey in a while. Best thing is the alumni to look for pics, then you could maybe narrow it down. Then hunt ebay for autos of that guy if you trace him to a photo.