Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ITG overdoing it

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

At the end of the day, someone is going to complain. If we pull too many no name players as box breakers, we aren't going to buy products. If we have too many cards of the big name players to collect, we can't keep up with every card. If we don't have enough cards to collect of a player, we will complain that there is nothing new to pick up. People will complain about selling on ebay because they don't have PayPal. People will complain about trading because the other person has no cards they want. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

I think ITG is grasping at whatever market share they can possibly obtain. They will never have the truly mainstream so they hover around the edges and scavenge. They do it by any means necessary. They havent had an original concept or innovation . I posted this before, they have deliverd the famed "Canyonero" that Homer Simpson developed, They rolled every other company's good idea into one gawdy abortion of a card . It's patched, jerseyed , signed serial numbered and worst of all slabbed, (none of which is ITG genius) and as they get weaker and lose ground , all they do is decrease print runs, or add a flashier patch or add a 9th player to the card, hoping to dupe you into believing you have something special.

Really, you don't think ITG has mainstream appeal. Other than those "collectors" who are only focused on the most recent hot Cup ARP, ITG has strong standing with most, if not all, other collectors. In terms of original ideas, the Skatelaces are truly unique and one of the best produced sets of the year. There is also only so much you can do with a product. What original cards has UD or Panini produced in the last five years that weren't either a copy of something ITG was already doing or that was not already done in their products or someone elses. Further, what original idea has UD or Panini had that wasn't also a combination of things done before? I can't think of anything. At least with ITG you are getting quality players and actual game worn materials, not the photo shoot stuff that UD has been shovelling at us since 2005.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have not been a fan of ITG in the past, but I am starting to come around. I do agree with the original poster that they are "over doing it", but not for the same reasons he cites.

If releasing 130 Bossy cards between 2000 - 2007 is overdoing it, what do you call it when UD releases over 1,400 Ilya Kovalchuk cards during the same period? I'd say ITGs player saturation is much better than UD and Panini.

There are two areas where I believe ITG is overdoing it:
    1) Too many short print, super short print cards (1/1, 1/9, etc...) putting most PC cards beyond the reach of the average collector.
    2) Re-using the same photos over and over. I've noticed that several of the Lindros cards from Broad St Boys have recycled photos from previous Heroes and Prospects releases. I understand ITG is a small operation and may not have the budget for thousands of photos, but if your limited to headshots, mix it up.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (17)
    Country
    See iidaemmi's Items on eBay

Wow, are we really at the point of complaining about companies providing too much good content in their products. Would you rather they fill the hits with 3rd line/minor league scrubs like Upper Deck does? Is it possible to please anyone in this hobby anymore?

I take a short comment for this.

YES, you got my point.
    Let's talk more after you start to collect some HOF-player which get more than enough hobby love.

Let's vote.. who wants 30 new Gordie Howe AU / GU cards per set?

Harri

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

They havent had an original concept or innovation . I posted this before, they have deliverd the famed "Canyonero" that Homer Simpson developed, They rolled every other company's good idea into one gawdy abortion of a card.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion :)

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

Can I start uploading some UD cards now so we can compare? lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Be my guest :)

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Don't bother, you're getting tiresome with your One Trick Pony act.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

I only buy ITG boxes to open. I prefer getting HOFers, Superstars and players I watched growing up. I buy UD & Panini singles of players I collect because I am tired of no name players jerseys or autos in thier products. Buy what you like. Do we forget this is a hobby. If you are worried about resale down the road then buy precious metals or something else.
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

Don't bother, you're getting tiresome with your One Trick Pony act.

You don't seem tired you post your expert advice on every post.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast