Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scammers on ebay question--How often does this take place?

I am talking about people who buy and then claim damage to the merchandise.

How often does this stuff happen to y'all? Is this common?

I have had maybe 30-40 sales with no problem and now I have a couple cases claiming damage merchandise.

Is there any way to not refund them the money?

I know that sometimes damaged items happen, but in these instances I have my doubts.

I just got burned on eBay by this. First always escalate the case to eBay customer service and never issue a refund until they return the item and you inspect it, if it is not damaged, the damage is obviously intentional, or other shady circumstances, then call eBay and tell them. It is very easy for the buyers to scam a seller. I sold a replacement lamp for a Samsung DLP tv, the buyer got it, switched his blown lamp out and claimed that was the one I sent him. I lost the lamp and my shipping over this because I had no idea how to handle it according to eBay's rules. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE ANY ACTION TO CLOSE THE CASE UNTIL YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN THAT THERE IS NOTHING ELSE YOU CAN DO. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I learned a lesson the hard and expensive way.

Recently sold an Eli Manning RC Autograph that was mint. Buyer said it came damaged and when I received it, the card was creased in 3 places.

Check this out -

The buyer I sold to claimed to receive multiple cards damaged by the post office.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...kLeftForOthers
    Last edited by Gold Inspector 25; 11-14-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Inspector 25 View Post
    Recently sold an Eli Manning RC Autograph that was mint. Buyer said it came damaged and when I received it, the card was creased in 3 places.

Check this out -

The buyer I sold to claimed to receive multiple cards damaged by the post office.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=pfitter157&ftab =FeedbackLeftForOthers

Was this the manning card http://www.ebay.com/itm/130788768305

I see no evidence of scamming with this guy. Both the Freeman and the Manning were numbered so its obvious he couldn't pull a switch. Did he try to get you to refund some of the money for the damaged card? If he did then I could see where he might claim damage to get you to refund some of the money and still keep the undamaged card and only when you refused he could have damaged the card and sent it back. If he just said The card was damaged I want to return it I see no problem.

You may have sent out a mint card but it looks like it may have been damaged in the mail. I don't see how that is the buyers fault. Is he supposed to just suck it up and accept a damaged card. You said yourself that when you got the card back it had three creases so it had to have been damaged somewhere. Unless you are saying he intentionally damaged the card I see no issues.
    Steve Schindler

Collect what you want to collect. Collect players and cards that you like. Collect what you can afford. Collect for you, not to try to impress someone else. If you do this you will much more likely to enjoy the hobby and stay with it.

pretty much the buyer always wins the claim. Not much to do unless it can be proved you sent the merchandise un damaged.

As a seller your screwed.If someone gets an item thats damaged you have to refudn them the money.If you buy insurance on the item the post office i believe will cover damages.In over 15 years on Ebay I had 2 items damaged that were not when shipped on my end.Both times i insured and filed claim with post office.Seem Ebay even more now forgets that the seller is making them money not the buyer.The seller gets boned more times
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sschind View Post
    Was this the manning card http://www.ebay.com/itm/130788768305

I see no evidence of scamming with this guy. Both the Freeman and the Manning were numbered so its obvious he couldn't pull a switch. Did he try to get you to refund some of the money for the damaged card? If he did then I could see where he might claim damage to get you to refund some of the money and still keep the undamaged card and only when you refused he could have damaged the card and sent it back. If he just said The card was damaged I want to return it I see no problem.

You may have sent out a mint card but it looks like it may have been damaged in the mail. I don't see how that is the buyers fault. Is he supposed to just suck it up and accept a damaged card. You said yourself that when you got the card back it had three creases so it had to have been damaged somewhere. Unless you are saying he intentionally damaged the card I see no issues.
    If he was unhappy with the purchase or changed his mind about buying the card, PayPal probably wouldn't decide in his favor if it went into a claim. However, it would be much more likely for PayPal to decide in his favor if the card he received was damaged.

-I'm saying he changed his mind about buying the cards so instead of keeping them, or even asking for a return, he damaged them so PayPal would be on his side.

Just depends on the situation IMO. I always demand the item be returned before I issue a refund. It isn't cards but I have had these things happen to me in the recent past when selling.

- I sold a PDA. Was a new buyer with 1 feedback. First he claimed I sent it to the wrong address. I responded that I sent it to the address given to me by eBay and PayPal and that if he didn't enter his address correctly with them then that was his fault not mine. A few days passed with no response. Then he messaged me again wanting a refund because he claimed the memory card lost data when the PDA was powered off. I had checked it right before I listed it so I knew it was working fine and I told him this. He insisted that it wasn't working right so I told him to return the PDA and all parts that I had sent with it (extra battery, charging dock, memory card, etc.) and after confirming that he had returned what I had sent him by comparing the serial numbers on the items he sent me with the serial numbers in the pictures on the listing that I would issue him a refund. I never heard from him again.

- I sold around $300 in scrap gold. A lady won it and paid immediately. After she got the gold she immediately left positive feedback and even messaged me telling me how happy she was. A few days later she messaged me saying that she sold the gold at a pawn shop and got less for it than she paid me and she wanted me to refund the difference. I told her that pawn shops never pay full price and it wasn't my fault if she agreed to sell it for less than she paid. A few days later she opens a claim and says that I sent her fake gold. I told the claim person about the message she sent me saying she had sold it in a pawn shop but they froze my account anyway. I let it sit for 10 days while she harassed me demanding a full refund. I finally got irked and said that if she returned the gold that I would issue a refund but I was not issuing a refund and her keeping the gold too. I clarified that since she had told me that she had sold the gold to a pawn shop that any package I opened from her would be video taped in the presence of a state police officer and compared to the pictures of what I sent and if I did not get back what I sent that a mail fraud complaint would be filed. After my eBay and PayPal account sat frozen for 21 days with no response from her and no returned gold they closed the claim.

My point in these two stories is simple. Be smart. Demand the card be returned before you issue a refund. If this person is trying to pull a fast one and keep the card then they won't want to do that.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Inspector 25 View Post
    If he was unhappy with the purchase or changed his mind about buying the card, PayPal probably wouldn't decide in his favor if it went into a claim. However, it would be much more likely for PayPal to decide in his favor if the card he received was damaged.

-I'm saying he changed his mind about buying the cards so instead of keeping them, or even asking for a return, he damaged them so PayPal would be on his side.
    Fair enough. You don't have any evidence to back up your claim but it's your prerogative to think so.
    Steve Schindler

Collect what you want to collect. Collect players and cards that you like. Collect what you can afford. Collect for you, not to try to impress someone else. If you do this you will much more likely to enjoy the hobby and stay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcorleone View Post
    Seem Ebay even more now forgets that the seller is making them money not the buyer.The seller gets boned more times

People are still on the "seller is the one making ebay money" kick huh? Ebay wouldn't be making much if no one was buying. Ebay realized that listing fees were small potatoes compared to final value fees that is why they make it free for so many people. The more things people list for free (which makes ebay nothing) the more people buy which makes ebay money thrugh final value fees. Its the buyers that generate the final value fees by buying things. The seller generates no final value fees, they may pay it but they wouldn't be paying anything if no one bought it.

Its a two way street and both sides are equally important. If no one lists no one buys and if no one buys no one will list.
    Steve Schindler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast