Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

New Morman rule could affect top basketball prospect Jabari Parker

I know this is more of a basketball chat issue but I want to get the P&R groups spin on morman missions,how they affect athletes and any other questions, comments or concerns about the morman religion.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/8479249/new-mormon-rule-affect-top-recruit-jabari-parker
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

So he has the option of going a year earlier? Big deal.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I guess the question is what do you think about ballplayers being "encouraged" to go on morman missions? Are you ok with it. Would you go? Would you allow your son to go? If Jabari Parker was your son would you advise him to go? HOF QB Steve Young who is a decendent of one of the founders of the morman religion Brigham Young never went on his morman mission. Not knocking the mormans but I have to ask the tough questions.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

so you would pick money over your God and advise your children to do the same?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Well I wouldn't do any of those thing but I wouldn't be Mormon either. I suppose if I was his dad and was a Mormon I'd encourage him to go but it's his decision.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

wickabee, we agree!!!! perhaps the first time today!!!!!!!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

so you would pick money over your God and advise your children to do the same?

I'm not a morman and the church that I go to does not "encourage" anyone to go on a two year religious mission so I can't say what I would do in that situation. I was just playing devils advocate. What I would do is sit down and discuss the situation with my son and his mother if she were around but tell him to pray on it and put the decision in God's hands. I am actually curious to hear the opinions of some of our atheist members if there son converted to mormanism and had to choose between playing ball with a good chance of going pro or going on a religious mission.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Not to get off topic, but is Morman an accepted spelling or an error? Not a shot or anything I'm just wondering.
    Anyway, as far as choosing money over God, people do it every day. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that the idea is not a shocker, to say the least.
    This Mission work is voluntary but "encouraged" right? If that is the case and he can't officially be excommunicated or disfellowshipped or dismembered, then ultimately, who cares what he does besides him, his parents and his religious leaders, priest or whatever Mormons have? He may be the future of basketball but he's still, what 17? He's too young to have fans who don't want to make out with him at Stephanie's party on Saturday. One thing I hate about Junior hockey is the culture of making money off kids. This is pretty much the same thing. Not exactly, but it includes a lot of the same thinking patterns. He's still in high school? No one should know he exists, let alone care whether he goes on Mission work.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not to get off topic, but is Morman an accepted spelling or an error? Not a shot or anything I'm just wondering.
    Anyway, as far as choosing money over God, people do it every day. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that the idea is not a shocker, to say the least.
    This Mission work is voluntary but "encouraged" right? If that is the case and he can't officially be excommunicated or disfellowshipped or dismembered, then ultimately, who cares what he does besides him, his parents and his religious leaders, priest or whatever Mormons have? He may be the future of basketball but he's still, what 17? He's too young to have fans who don't want to make out with him at Stephanie's party on Saturday. One thing I hate about Junior hockey is the culture of making money off kids. This is pretty much the same thing. Not exactly, but it includes a lot of the same thinking patterns. He's still in high school? No one should know he exists, let alone care whether he goes on Mission work.

That's the future of sports. Now it's the norm for houselhold prospects in all sports (Lebron, Lindros, Harper, Jadaveon Clowney) to be household names in the prospective sports before graduating from high school. Pretty soon middle school and junior varsity sports will be the rage for scouting the next big thing. As a fan I love it but I feel bad for all the pressure that the adults put on these kids because they see them as their mealticket. I also don't have a problem with serving God and worshiping as you see fit but I don't like the fact that people are "encoraged" to go away for two years. Some people may want to go but what if someone really dosen't want to go and only goes because of pressure from family, friends and their church.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I know, and it has been this way for awhile. I still hate it and still think it's a bigger issue than whether this kid plays NBA right away or not.