Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    Miguel Cabrera named AL MVP

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...can-league-mvp

    Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera won the American League's Most Valuable Player award after becoming baseball's first Triple Crown winner in 45 years, beating rookie phenom Mike Trout by a much wider margin than most anticipated.

    Cabrera received 22 of 28 first-place votes and 362 points from the AL panel of Baseball Writers' Association of America. Trout, the record-setting center fielder of the Los Angeles Angels, had six first-place votes and 281 points. Trout was voted AL Rookie of the Year earlier in the week.

    Cabrera hit .330 with 44 homers and 139 RBIs to become the first Triple Crown winner since Boston's Carl Yastrzemski in 1967. The past four Triple Crown winners have been voted MVP, including Mickey Mantle in 1956 and Frank Robinson in 1966.

    Texas Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre finished third with 210 points, followed by New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano (149). Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton finished fifth.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Good. There was incredible crown pressure to give it to Mike Trout but they did the right thing. How can you NOT give it to someone who won the triple crown and lead their team to the playoffs?

  3. #3
    At least the MVPs went to the right guys. Both should've been no brainers. Although Trout had a fantastic season, it would've been a travesty if he beat Cabrera. You just can't top a Triple Crown winner, especially when his team makes it to the WS.

  4. #4
    Can't argue with that selection.
    There have been Triple Crown that did not win the MVP.

    Teddy Ballgame, in the 40's

  5. #5
    If Trout hadn't tailed off at the end of the season, I think he'd have deserved it, regardless if Cabrera had won the Triple Crown or not. The Angels finished with a better record. The Tigers made the playoffs only because the White Sox collapsed. The AL West is much tougher than the AL Central.

    Cabrera is an incredible hitter, and did better than expected at third. But Trout is the best center fielder in the game, and he should have won the Gold Glove. He also led the majors in stolen bases. You can walk Cabrera four times a game, and greatly lessen his impact. You can't stop Trout from stealing bases, or from jumping over the wall in center robbing a home run.

    Brian Kenny, my absolute favorite baseball analyst (on MLB Network) did a breakdown of Trout vs Cabrera, and did an incredible job of making the case for Trout. I wish I'd saved what he did. He compared the difference in Cabrera's offensive production to the # of runs Trout saved defensively, and created by taking extra bases, and stealing bases. It was really well done, and went a long way to quantify the impact of Trout's whole game being greater.

    That said, I'm glad that Cabrera finally won an MVP. He's a Hall of Famer, and should have won at least one by now.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 11-18-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballboy2 View Post
    At least the MVPs went to the right guys. Both should've been no brainers. Although Trout had a fantastic season, it would've been a travesty if he beat Cabrera. You just can't top a Triple Crown winner, especially when his team makes it to the WS.
    Neither one should have been "no brainers" at all.

    I've already discussed the Trout v Cabrera debate. As far as Posey over Braun, Posey had a great season, but to say it's a "no brainer" is absurd. Posey led Braun in average and OBP by about 15 points on average. Braun killed Posey in runs scored, stolen bases, home runs, total bases, slg.

    Yes, Miller Park played a role in Braun's 41 HR. Both Posey and Braun had 17 HR on the road. But the park differential is overstated. If Posey played his home games at Miller Park, his home run total would most assuredly go up. But with less room in the outfield to cover, his batting average would also go down some. And if Braun were to play at AT&T Park for his home games, there's evidence that his home run totals wouldn't go down much at all. ESPN's home run tracker for Braun's 41, with AT&T as an overlay, showed only two of his home runs wouldn't have been out of the park in San Francisco. Now the weather conditions could have differed of course, but all things considered, the length of his home runs would not be an issue.

    In 66 career at bats at AT&T, Braun has 6 home runs. In 245 at bats during his MVP season, having "one of the greatest offensive seasons ever by a catcher", Posey only had 7 HR in 245 at bats. Posey hit it out once every 35 at bats. For his career, Braun is averaging a home run once every 11 at bats. It's a small sample size, but it does show that Braun has had no problem hitting it out of the park there. Posey didn't have a single multi home run game in 2012. Braun had six, including two on the road, with two at monstrous Target Field in Minneapolis, and three at Petco in San Diego. That's never been done before.

    Posey is a phenomenal player, and again, I have no real issue with him winning the MVP. In the end, the Giants made the playoffs, the Brewers did not, and that was really the determining factor (though it was no fault of Braun's. The Brewer offense led the National League in runs scored, home runs, and stolen bases. It was the bullpen that blew 29 saves). But it should have been closer than it was, and Braun clearly should have won the Hank Aaron Award as the league's best offensive player.

    Posey is a great player, and I like him a lot.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 11-18-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    If Trout hadn't tailed off at the end of the season, I think he'd have deserved it, regardless if Cabrera had won the Triple Crown or not. The Angels finished with a better record. The Tigers made the playoffs only because the White Sox collapsed. The AL West is much tougher than the AL Central.

    Cabrera is an incredible hitter, and did better than expected at third. But Trout is the best center fielder in the game, and he should have won the Gold Glove. He also led the majors in stolen bases. You can walk Cabrera four times a game, and greatly lessen his impact. You can't stop Trout from stealing bases, or from jumping over the wall in center robbing a home run.

    Brian Kenny, my absolute favorite baseball analyst (on MLB Network) did a breakdown of Trout vs Cabrera, and did an incredible job of making the case for Trout. I wish I'd saved what he did. He compared the difference in Cabrera's offensive production to the # of runs Trout saved defensively, and created by taking extra bases, and stealing bases. It was really well done, and went a long way to quantify the impact of Trout's whole game being greater.

    That said, I'm glad that Cabrera finally won an MVP. He's a Hall of Famer, and should have won at least one by now.
    I like Brian Kenny as well, but I think he went out of bounds. He went so far to just insult Cabrera to try and prop up Trout, which is disrespectful.

    With that said, I went in with the mindset I'd like Cabrera to win (because he seems to just lose it every season), but was perfectly fine if Trout had won (because he had a much better case for MVP).
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

  8. #8
    Did a writer actually vote for Raul Ibanez on his MVP ballot but then leave off Robinson Cano?
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    Did a writer actually vote for Raul Ibanez on his MVP ballot but then leave off Robinson Cano?
    Yea, John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press, he also had Jeter 3rd I think. Nobody is really sure what in the world he was doing with his ballot.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    If Trout hadn't tailed off at the end of the season, I think he'd have deserved it, regardless if Cabrera had won the Triple Crown or not. The Angels finished with a better record. The Tigers made the playoffs only because the White Sox collapsed. The AL West is much tougher than the AL Central.

    Cabrera is an incredible hitter, and did better than expected at third. But Trout is the best center fielder in the game, and he should have won the Gold Glove. He also led the majors in stolen bases. You can walk Cabrera four times a game, and greatly lessen his impact. You can't stop Trout from stealing bases, or from jumping over the wall in center robbing a home run.

    Brian Kenny, my absolute favorite baseball analyst (on MLB Network) did a breakdown of Trout vs Cabrera, and did an incredible job of making the case for Trout. I wish I'd saved what he did. He compared the difference in Cabrera's offensive production to the # of runs Trout saved defensively, and created by taking extra bases, and stealing bases. It was really well done, and went a long way to quantify the impact of Trout's whole game being greater.

    That said, I'm glad that Cabrera finally won an MVP. He's a Hall of Famer, and should have won at least one by now.
    When he was making the case for Trout did he mention that Trout had 41 more strikeouts in 63 fewer AB's?

    ...Rick
    Hidden Content
    Bucket PC & Trade Items: Hidden Content
    PC In-Person (IP) Auto Memorabilia Collection: Hidden Content
    PC HOF Game-Used Collection: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •