Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

USPS Postage Increase Rumor

So, I happened by the post office earlier this week to mail out some packages to Canada and was informed that there is speculation that the 'discount' to international shipping for Mexico and Canada (!) will be disappearing sometime near the end of January or beginning of February 2013. This may be on top of other 'standard' postage increases (i.e. the cost of a letter may go up too).

Currently, I pay $3.45 to ship a 3.5 oz package by First Class International Mail. A similar package overseas costs $5.34. Based on what I was told the other evening, the cost to Canada by next spring will likely be over $5.34 for a First Class package (bubble mailer).

As I said, it's a rumor. It did come from a postal employee who I believe to be reliable. If its true, I, for the first time, am a little concerned that trading/selling into Canada may become severely more difficult. I already get dinged on eBay charging $3.50 shipping to Canada with the actual postage being at least $3.45. Something's gotta give...

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Found this info from the USPS rate filing with the Postal Regulatory commision. Don't see any seperate mention of Canada and Mexico rates, so they may be lumping them in with International rates:

International Forever Stamp. $1.10
    The Postal Service introduces an International Forever Stamp for outbound single-piece First-Class Mail International letters. The proposed International Forever stamp "will be sold at the price of a single-piece First-Class Mail International first ounce machinable letter, and have a postage value equivalent to the price of a single-piece First-Class Mail International first ounce machinable letter in effect at the time of use." As the international counterpart to the domestic Forever stamp introduced in 2007, the proposed International Forever stamp will remain valid for postage regardless of future rate increases.

E. International First-Class Mail
    First-Class Mail International (FCMI) consists of two products: Outbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International and Inbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International. The Postal Service calculates a combined price increase for First-Class Mail International of 7.923 percent.

The calculated price increase for Outbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International letters and flats is 14.338 percent.
    For Inbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International, the percentage change in price is negative.
    The non-machinable surcharge of 20 cents for Outbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International letters is unchanged.

Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Found this info from the USPS rate filing with the Postal Regulatory commision. Don't see any seperate mention of Canada and Mexico rates, so they may be lumping them in with International rates:

International Forever Stamp. $1.10
    The Postal Service introduces an International Forever Stamp for outbound single-piece First-Class Mail International letters. The proposed International Forever stamp "will be sold at the price of a single-piece First-Class Mail International first ounce machinable letter, and have a postage value equivalent to the price of a single-piece First-Class Mail International first ounce machinable letter in effect at the time of use." As the international counterpart to the domestic Forever stamp introduced in 2007, the proposed International Forever stamp will remain valid for postage regardless of future rate increases.

E. International First-Class Mail
    First-Class Mail International (FCMI) consists of two products: Outbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International and Inbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International. The Postal Service calculates a combined price increase for First-Class Mail International of 7.923 percent. The calculated price increase for:
    • Outbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International letters and flats is 14.338 percent.

• Inbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International, the percentage change in price is negative.
      The non-machinable surcharge of 20 cents for Outbound Single-Piece First-Class Mail International letters is unchanged.