Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Reprint/Missing link cards?

Can someone tell me more about reprints and missing links of vintage cards? Mainly the list of the sets produced? I believe there was one in 93 and 94 by Parkhurst? And I guess some of the 2012 OPC ones seem to be reprints too or at least in the style of vintage cards.

Seem to be a lot for cards from the 50s/60s....I like vintage cards but the pre-70s stuff is expensive so this plus custom designs seems to be the way to go.

Do any of these cards show stats from multiple seasons on the back? I'm mainly just interested in base cards of notable players, don't really care for rookies/memorabilia etc ones so should I stick to finding these as singles online or find a box somewhere? thanks
    Last edited by Sportfreund; 11-26-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The Missing Link cards are actually not reprints. They're a very aptly titled set made because there was no Parkhurst set made in the 1956-57 season. Per the Wikipedia:

As part of the Upper Deck/Parkurst license agreement, during the 1993–94 hockey season, Price was allowed under the Upper Deck/NHL licence to create and release three retrospective Parkhurst trading cards sets. The first set of cards was known unofficially as "The Missing Link" (a mock 1956-57 set). These cards were produced to complement the fact that Parkhurst did not make cards in 1956. All the cards in the set featured the Original Six teams. The cards featured stats from the 1955–56 season, and had a very retro feel to them, with a no-gloss finish and simple design. One of the most unusual cards in the set was a card featuring the likeness of Johnny Bower in a New York Rangers uniform, while other Parkhurst traditions were upheld, such as action cards.
    The popularity of this set led to two other retro-style sets, one commemorating the 1964–65 season (in the "Tall Boy" format Topps used that year), released in 1995, and a subsequent set issued in 1996. This set "commemorated" the 1966–67 season, which signified the rookie season of Bobby Orr and the final Stanley Cup triumph of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Once again, all Original Six teams were featured in the set and each pack contained a "wheel", akin to the Shirriff pieces issued around this time. There was one wheel issued per pack, which paralleled the shell cards (player cards) in the set, as well as 10 bonus wheels that paralleled the Beehive-inspired inserts of Orr and Gordie Howe.
    Aside from the Missing Link sets, three other series were issued by Price and Upper Deck (two series in 1993–94 and one in 1994–95) in North America. One other set released in 1994–95 was the Parkhurst SE series (Special Edition), intended for distribution in Europe but equally available in North America. It could be distinguished from the standard 1994-95 Parkhurst cards by its unique numbering with an SE prefix. This set also featured the first cards of players like Jarome Iginla and Jean-Sébastien Gigučre.

Perhaps Dr. Price himself could discuss the set, its origins, and his memories of it?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's pretty neat. I also found a set from 1995-96. This one claims to be Parkhurst from 1966/67. Pretty much the same as the 93 set (btw I believe the 93 set was re-released in 94 or people are just mislabeling it on online sales).
    I'm gonna pick some of those up. The ones I know so far:

1993 Parkhurst Parkie Reprints
    1994 Parkhurst Missing Link
    1994 Parkhurst Tall Boys
    1995 Parkhurst (66/67)
    2001 Topps Archives (reprints of cards from different years, this set seems to keep it to good players which is nice)
    2002 Parkhurst Reprints

Now if only some company can print these on old 50s card paper. Obviously there are Mini's too which are reprints of old tobacco cards I think.