Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

Cool Better late than never: Expo pick ups- Kurri, Fuhr, more Oilers, Belfour (scan heavy)

It's been a week since the Expo and I haven't got around to scanning everything until today. Better late than never to post the pickups from the show. Once again, it was a great show and it was really great to meet up with some fellow members from SCF and pick up some new cards for my collection. Even with a lockout, nothing could dampen then fun of the Expo, and there were even some good deals to be had! On Friday I saw that ITG had a game where you could shoot on Jonathan Quick for a chance to win a box of Between the Pipes. Basically the whole net was covered except for a small space in the five hole. Everyone was allowed two shots, and with my first attempt, I wristed one in the net! Click here to see the results from my free box break of 10-11 BTP, and thanks again to ITG for the box!

On to the S&T! First, additions that arrived a little before the show:

Price Gold Mask /10

Haven't come across many of these and managed to get this for a very reasonable price. (PC)

Got these two Kurri auto from a friend who got them for me (both PC)

A big thank you to kurri17 who sent me this as a gift! I've been looking to add the Kurri Legendary Signatures for a while and it arrived this past week (one less card to look for at the Expo too). It is really great to talk about our similar collecting interests (Kurri and other Oilers from the dynasty team), as well as the hobby and sport in general. (PC)

On to the Expo pick-ups. To start, there are some of the highlights of the non-PC additions:

RNH is already traded

I also went to the Panini booth where you could "swap out" and get a replacement for redemptions that were pending. Since I preferred having it settled on the spot versus having to wait, and did not care much about the card I was waiting on, I said that would be happy with anything as a replacement (very open-ended). So the guy asked me if I like the Maple Leafs or would I like something from a box which contained players from all teams. Again, I figured I would be satisfied with anything and let him decide for me. So he grabbed a box marked "$30" on the side, and held it up so that the cards could not be seen. I reached in, and pulled out this card...only to later learn that it is a short print!

Overall I thought this was a great program (regardless of my experience) and it seemed to be pretty popular as he was often at his laptop helping people out whenever I walked by.

Now on to the cards I managed to add to the personal collection! (all PC and not for trade)

I like to try and get autos of any player who was with the Oilers during their Stanley Cup years and was happy to add Dave Hunter.

My first Tough Times auto and really love the design of these.

When a few of us from SCF got together, I brought a card to the show thinking that hossa18sens could use it for his PC (see his S&T thread). So we ended up making a trade and I added a couple more cards to the collection. The Fuhr is a double but I never mind having doubles of Oilers auto, and the Botterill is part of a new PC that I have wanted to start - Canadian female Olympic hockey players.

While I was at the Expo I sold a near complete set of 72-73 O-Pee-Chee with many of the inserts and short printed logos to a guy. Near the end of the show on Sunday while I was waiting to catch a glimpse of Pavel Bure he noticed me and walked up saying that he bought something for me as he saw it in a showcase and decided to buy it as a thank you:

It was such a cool gesture that he went out of his way to buy the card after we completed our deal. Not only did he buy the Kurri with the hopes of giving it to me, he said that had he not found me at the show, he would have tried contacting me so that he could mail it to me as a Christmas present, or would have hoped to run into me at the spring Expo. Another great collecting story!

Came across this card on ebay a few weeks ago and asked the seller if he could hang on to it for the Expo. It ended up saving both of us some money as there were no shipping costs or final fees.

I have a very small Bernie Nicholls PC and when I asked how much the dealer how much he wanted for this Nicholls auto /25, he said $5!

I always love adding Paul Coffey autos!

2 steps closer to having all of the Oilers autos from the Canada vs the World set. These two were side by side in a showcase.

It is great having local dealers who know what I collect. Within about 5 minutes of being at the show a dealer I know saw me and said he had this Fuhr set aside for me!

Was able to add this auto'd die-cut parallel to my Belfour PC which is slowly growing. Surprisingly, at one point this Expo was looking to be more of a Belfour success than anything else but I managed to find more awesome Oilers cards too....keep reading.

After passing on the same Anderson auto at least year's fall Expo, I came across one again (different dealer). This time I knew it was a Group B auto and thankfully it had the same asking price.

Considering this Coffey auto is /50, I haven't seen many of these around since they were released. I found this while going through cards in a box and to my surprise, it is numbered 07/50...his jersey number!

Fuhr International Ice SP - Finally managed to track down this card. I have been trying to add as many of the Oilers autos from the set as possible as many players have more than one version. I now have Fuhr, Kurri, Tikkanen, and Anderson completed.

Fuhr Legends Classics Signatures XSP - Another card that I haven't seen many of. The guy had this on his table and I originally decided to think about it. I came back the next day and then learned that it was short printed, let alone an XSP! After a bit of back and forth, I got this along with the Dave Hunter auto together.

Kurri O Canada SP - Probably only the second or third of these I have seen available. Sure I have seen them in a couple of other Kurri collections, but I have wanted this one since they came out. I managed to find this with the Nicholls auto in the same showcase.

Hull Modano Belfour patches /15 - While I like adding to my small but growing Belfour collection, I really didn't plan on adding much to it. However, I saw some great cards and didn't want to pass up on a few of them. This card was a "must have" because of the unique 4-colour Belfour patch and that the card is only /15. Having multi-coloured patches on the Hull and Modano is a bonus! Since I was a fan of Belfour since his rookie season, I enjoyed watching him play wherever he went (especially Toronto), loved watching the Oilers vs. Stars playoffs series and ultimately enjoyed staying up extremely late one night when Hull scored in triple OT and Belfour got to hoist the Cup. This card has three important players from than team

Belfour Patch /6 - Keeping with the Belfour theme, a friend of mine pointed out this card along with another a dealer had in his showcase. While both cards were very nice, I did not want to spend the money on the cards. When we were talking about the cards, the dealer saw me as a potential buyer. I told him that they were out of my range but were both nice cards. He then asked if I had cards to trade, and I did! After 15 minutes or so, we had a deal and both cards were mine...continued with the next card. I should also note that when we made the deal he told me that the Belfour was /9, but when I was scanning everything today I decided to look this one up and noticed that it is /6!

Belfour Triple Emblem /10 - The second card which I traded for with the Belfour patch /6, and my new "holy grail" to the Belfour PC! There are a few reasons why I love this card so much, but the main reason is that it contains emblems from all teams he had significant years with. Coming across Belfour memorabilia from Chicago isn't very common, and this is only my second Blackhawks memorabilia card of his that I have (the other is a 2 colour jersey card). It is also the first Blackhawks patch I have owned and

Kurri Ultimate Patch Auto /10 - Once again, I am glad to add another low numbered Kurri to the collection! Got this closer to the end of the Expo and got it for a decent price as well. I didn't find as many Kurri cards this time compared to the past, but since I have many of the easier ones, it becomes a little tougher to come out with quantity. I am very glad to have found a couple of tougher ones this time - the O Canada SP auto and this patch auto /10.

And that's all! I am very pleased with the amount and quality of cards I was able to add. I managed to added many more Kurri, Fuhr and other Oilers to the PC and also a few nice Belfour cards as well. Next I will have to organize the PC portion of my bucket lol. Thanks again to those who helped me out! It is always greatly appreciated.

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fifthcup90's Items on eBay

Alright! Been waiting for this one, and it didn't disappoint. Great haul of really nice stuff. That triple stars patch is amazing. I don't think I have seen one of those. Of course great Kurri and Oilers stuff as well. I'll skip the one card at a time oohs and ahs, but man, that is one nice haul. Congrats and thanks again for letting me experience the Expo at least vicariously.
    I collect: Kurri, '70s Kelloggs and Topps hockey(also OPC), football, and baseball cards, vintage stars and World Series subset cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

Very nice story. That 06-07 BTP triple emblem is a great card from a very underrated set. I also want to get the triple emblem for Roy and a few other players on that list, but they are so hard to come by. Congrats on picking that one up.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Looks like you had a great time. It was very nice to meet you and get a trade done.

Thanks for a crazy show

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Dallas Cowboys Toronto Raptors
    Twitter: @@SCardCollective See SportsCardCollective's Items on eBay Instagram:

Very Nice Pick up's.. Glad to hear you had a great Expo.. I made it for Sunday as its a semi-annual event for the GF and I to attend :).

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (14)
    Country

some greeaatt cards in there, some fuhrs ive never seen either .... thanks for the show

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

Very nice story. That 06-07 BTP triple emblem is a great card from a very underrated set. I also want to get the triple emblem for Roy and a few other players on that list, but they are so hard to come by. Congrats on picking that one up.

Cheers,
    reoddai

Thanks a lot! It was great to see you again for a few minutes.

I can't say I have seen any of those triple emblems of any player from the set before, but then again I haven't paid much attention to that set...which helps prove your point of being an underrated set. It's a very creative idea that is hardly ever used. Hopefully you can find a Roy and if I come across one, I know who to contact.

Looks like you had a great time. It was very nice to meet you and get a trade done.

Thanks for a crazy show

It was great being able to finally meet you as well. It's always fun to trade and I'm glad we could work out a deal as well.

Very Nice Pick up's.. Glad to hear you had a great Expo.. I made it for Sunday as its a semi-annual event for the GF and I to attend :).

Thanks a lot! I always have a great time at the Expo although for my other half, she sees the Expo as a time she can hitch a ride to the Vaughn Mall lol. Hope you and your gf had a great time as well!

some greeaatt cards in there, some fuhrs ive never seen either .... thanks for the show

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. If you have a link to your PC, you should send me a PM with a link. I always love looking through collections, epsecially of players I collect as well just for the sake of looking at awesome cards.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (17)
    Country
    See iidaemmi's Items on eBay

Great cards, especially Kurri's cards, great to read these stories buddy!

Harri

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See baseballislife1984's Items on eBay

great story and expo pick ups! You had a really sweet haul!