Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

02-03 Topps Hometown Heroes - Spot the difference?

I see two listings in the inventory for these cards. One is the regular topps / opc issue. The other is for the Topps Factory set. My question is how can you tell the difference between the two? I checked the scans in the inventory but could not find any distinguishing marks to tell them apart.

Thanks.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Look on the card back in the upper right-hand corner.

The Updated Rookie Set, has the letter "U" before the number identifying itself differently.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I see what you're talking about.

COMC listings show cards with the "U" designation as being from the factory set. I have eight different cards and all have the "U" numbering, but have never bought a factory set. All of my cards were pack pulled. I think that is what was adding to the confusion.

Perhaps COMC has listed them wrong.

Thanks for the info!

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

The secondary "U" marked cards were not from the 02-03 Topps Issue, but they were found as a SP subset pull in 02-03 Topps Chrome which came out a month later.

That's why there is confusion.

There is no "U" designation in the original Rookies I don't believe.
    Last edited by centrehice; 11-20-2012 at 02:41 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Isn't there also a difference in the foil on the front logo? I think factory sets have more shimmer to the foil

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

For the regular cards the foil on the front is a different color, almost a copper looking color (similar to the old Pacific colors). I have never really seen a Factory set for the Hometown cards, but if anyone can scan one I would appreciate it. I need the Lemieux from the set.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For the regular cards the foil on the front is a different color, almost a copper looking color (similar to the old Pacific colors). I have never really seen a Factory set for the Hometown cards, but if anyone can scan one I would appreciate it. I need the Lemieux from the set.

I don't have any factory set cards, but I have looked at the scans in the SCF inventory and at COMC.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here is the info from the "Big Book"
    "This 40 card set was split into two subsets: Canadian and US Heroes"
    "Cards HHC1 - HHC20 {the canadian heroes} were available only in OPC packs"
    "Cards HHU1 - HHU20 {the us heroes} were available only in Topps packs"

So the "U" in HHU-14 stands for US, not Update. That solves that mystery. Doesn't help identify factory set, though...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Purchased a Factory Set Hometown Heroes of Kovalchuk and the difference is obvious.

Pack Issued OPC / Topps: Cards have glossy finish and rainbow "refractor" effect
    Factory OPC/Topps: No glossy finish / No rainbow effect. Flag in background has a metallic appearance.

Cased closed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

any chance of scans for comparison?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast