Texans WR Andre Johnson drops $19K on toy shopping spree for charity

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3

Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson, one of the league's unquestioned good guys, on Tuesday performed what's becoming an annual ritual for him: a Toys "R" Us shopping spree for at-risk youth in Houston.

Johnson's Foundation, the Andre Johnson Charitable Foundation, funded the spree, in which 12 children selected by Child Protective Services had 80 seconds to fill up their carts with as many toys as they could. And oh, could they fill those carts.

"You hear a minute and twenty seconds, and you don't think that's a long time, but you'd be surprised by what these kids can put into their buckets," Johnson said afterward. You can see his gargantuan receipt in the photo at right.

The children, ranging in ages from 8 to 16, have all suffered parental abuse in some form and now live with extended family members. But each child made sure to purchase toys for siblings and other relatives as well.

Johnson's foundation performs several works throughout the year for children in both Houston and Johnson's Miami hometown. But he told the team's website that it's the Toys "R" Us event that he enjoys the most.

"I think it's probably the best one because you get to see the kids really enjoy it," he said. "That's what this season is about. It's something I look forward to. The kids are happy, they get what they want for Christmas, and that's all that matters."

After the spree, Johnson also joined the Houston Police Department's Blue Santa program to surprise 800 students at Houston's Bastian Elementary School with Christmas presents.

Johnson stressed that he had traveled the path many of these kids were on, and he hoped they could learn from his example: "I grew up in a single-parent home and I was fortunate to achieve my goals," he said. "So, whatever goals you have, just keep them out in front of you, don't let anybody distract you away from them, because there will be distractions that try to detour you away from your goals. That's the biggest thing."
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Now that is cool. Always love to see a player use their good fortune to help those who have less. He will be a hero in the hearts of those children for the rest of their lives.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

great move by a great receiver!

Collecting PEYTON MANNING, CAL RIPKEN JR, AUSTIN COLLIE AND CURRENT COLTS
    **IN THAT ORDER, PEYTON TAKES PRIORITY**

texans are heavy into the houston comunity. they all do stuff like this. maybe not $19k worth though lol. in the offseason jj watt had a golf game set up with yates and yates canceled on him so watt went on facebook and posted yates canceled and invited the first 2 people who responded to his post to go play with him. this is just an example. one of the reasons im such a big fan of this team. they give a lot of time and sometimes money to the community around here.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

This is reminiscent of an old contest Nickelodeon would do. If you won you could fill up your cart with toys and anything sold at Toys R Us in an allotted amount of time. Always seemed like it would be a lot of fun....
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    This is reminiscent of an old contest Nickelodeon would do. If you won you could fill up your cart with toys and anything sold at Toys R Us in an allotted amount of time. Always seemed like it would be a lot of fun....

I remember as a kid (okay maybe as an adult too) day dreaming about how I would plan out a shopping spree like that....what areas to hit first :)

Class act by one of the NFL's best WR's!!
    Hidden Content
    **Hidden Content **
    Bucket Updated 7/22/14

All he needs to do is smack around Cortland and thats enough for me to respect him haha.

But seriously, this guy is quickly turning into one of my favorites. Good guy on and off the field.
    ~Matt

lol dude he's never done that before or since. cortland must have really been saying stuff he shouldnt have. only time since 2003 i ever saw him lose his cool......it was awesome though lolol
    pc is spectra spectra spectra