Thinking of Starting a Vintage Set Project

When I was a kid, for some reason I really liked the 1967 Topps FB set. I think it was the design of the card with the oval boarding. Years ago, I bought a Len Dawson from the set so I would have an example of the design. I always thought it would be fun to assemble a complete set.

A while back, I purchased a nice size lot of commons...around 50 of them. They are probably around EX condition. I think it's time to get serious and try and finish this set. I'm not looking for ultra high grades...I think EX is fine. I'm going to do a set to put in an album and enjoy.

I have never assembled a vintage set before. Does anyone have any advice? I think this is a good set to start with as it's fairly small (132 cards) and fairly affordable.
    Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 321/384 - 83.6% Complete

I've started a 1986 Topps as a side project. It's my birth year and quite a few players I watched as a kid were rookies or newer that year. Down fall is there are a few higher priced cards that will take awhile to get a hold of, though.

Starting with a small set would have been a wiser idea. I've heard the 67 set is a good one, though, too.
    Collecting:
    Maurice Jones-Drew, Ryan Moats, Bernard Pierce, Margus Hunt & Green Bay Packers game used
    Maurice Jones-Drew - Different: 898/2797 Total: 1140
    Ryan Moats - Different: 172/366

still looking? go to checkoutmycards.com just looked on the site and it seems that they have most of the set
    good prices and usually all cards have discounts
    check them out
    Looking for Atlanta Falcons cards GO FALCONS! Hidden Content
    Also looking for star NBA and NFL players jersey and auto cards
    If Iam slow to reply to post and pms Iam a freshman in college and I don't live on the computer

I decided to get all the Topps sets from 1970 (the year I was born) all the way up to now. I need a few sets from the later 90's and early 2000's but loved putting them together. Two years ago I started on the 1969 set and the 1964 Philadelphia (not sure why on this one) and for commons I used sportlots.com. You can usually find a seller on there that has quite a few and the S&H charges are EXTREMELY reasonable compared to other sites. Have made over 30 purchases from the site and have yet to have a problem either. Good luck!

I collect Kordell Stewart, Earl Campbell, Deacon Jones, Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson and Steelers cards.
    Working on 1968 & 1969 Topps Football sets and 1980 Stop 'n' Go.
    Hidden Content

So, the more I think about it...the more I want to make this a larger focus of my hobbies. I have identified 3 sets that I have always loved and wanted to complete but felt they were too hard or expensive. I think now is the time to work on them. Here are the sets, what do you think?

1966 Philadelphia
    1967 Topps
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold Parallel

The 1994 set has a special place in my heart. When I was a kid I would buy a pack of 94UDCC everyday on my way to football practice.
    Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 321/384 - 83.6% Complete

All three look like great sets to start collecting. It looks like the '67 set is off to a good start already. Good luck with the other two.
    Collecting:
    Maurice Jones-Drew, Ryan Moats, Bernard Pierce, Margus Hunt & Green Bay Packers game used
    Maurice Jones-Drew - Different: 898/2797 Total: 1140
    Ryan Moats - Different: 172/366