Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112
  1. #1

    Why is YOUR religion (or atheism) better than any one elses?

    To piggy back off the religion is like a pistol discussion why is you religion better than anyone elses? I have asked this question in many different ways on mutiple occasions and no one can or will give me a straight answer. You believe in what you believe in and it is you have every right to do so but no one can tell me why theirs is superior. Yes you can quote XYZ holy book that says that you must follow what this book says and believe what the book tells you what to do or you will go to hell. That dosen't prove a thing. Every holy book says the same thing. Yes you can talk about the miracles that God has done for you but then again every religious person can point to the miracles that God has done for them. Also atheists I haven't forgot about you why is being an atheist the best option? What if you found out that there is a God when you die and he sends you to hell for what not believing and mocking him. Again these questions are not an attack on anyone in particular but just trying to provoke some thought.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Before being an atheist I'm a skeptic.

    That means that I doubt things and I don't take them at face value.

    While I can't say that God absolutely doesn't exists (This is why I'm also agnostic) from the evidence we have right now, I can't believe in god.

    I really don't have a problem with anyone that does believe in god, my problem is with religious folks that feel the need to impose their beliefs and morality to everyone.

    Christians get away with this so much because they are the majority in this country.

    However, they're also (some of them) the first ones to speak out against any other religion especially Islam.

    Some people here don't seem to understand what it means to "Impose your beliefs and morality" to others, so I want to elaborate a little...


    Our country was founded on a secular beliefs, that means that we are NEUTRAL when it comes to religion and government.

    No where in our constitution does it mention god or the christian faith.

    so how do Christians impose their beliefs to the rest of us?


    • They put "In god we trust" on our money.....sorry, but about 15-20% of Americans don't trust in any gods.
    • They put "One nation under god" on the pledge......Nope, we are not one nation under god, since none of our laws have to do with any god or religion, we don't have a national religion, nor does our constitution name any god whatsoever.
    • They want to teach "Creationism" in public schools.......Creationism is not science, it is religion, and it has no place in any public school, period.
    • They put the ten commandments on court houses........our laws have NOTHING to do with the ten commandments, 8 of them aren't even applicable in our society, what is the point of putting a religious symbol like that on our court houses?
    • Many politicians want to make policy based on their Biblical beliefs which would impose on EVERYONE including non-christians.


    These are some examples of imposing beliefs on the rest of us, and that's what a lot of atheists go against.
    "Islam is the mother load of bad ideas" -Sam Harris

    "Christianity is a close second" -Me

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    Before being an atheist I'm a skeptic.

    That means that I doubt things and I don't take them at face value.

    While I can't say that God absolutely doesn't exists (This is why I'm also agnostic) from the evidence we have right now, I can't believe in god.

    I really don't have a problem with anyone that does believe in god, my problem is with religious folks that feel the need to impose their beliefs and morality to everyone.

    Christians get away with this so much because they are the majority in this country.

    However, they're also (some of them) the first ones to speak out against any other religion especially Islam.

    Some people here don't seem to understand what it means to "Impose your beliefs and morality" to others, so I want to elaborate a little...


    Our country was founded on a secular beliefs, that means that we are NEUTRAL when it comes to religion and government.

    No where in our constitution does it mention god or the christian faith.

    so how do Christians impose their beliefs to the rest of us?


    • They put "In god we trust" on our money.....sorry, but about 15-20% of Americans don't trust in any gods.
    • They put "One nation under god" on the pledge......Nope, we are not one nation under god, since none of our laws have to do with any god or religion, we don't have a national religion, nor does our constitution name any god whatsoever.
    • They want to teach "Creationism" in public schools.......Creationism is not science, it is religion, and it has no place in any public school, period.
    • They put the ten commandments on court houses........our laws have NOTHING to do with the ten commandments, 8 of them aren't even applicable in our society, what is the point of putting a religious symbol like that on our court houses?
    • Many politicians want to make policy based on their Biblical beliefs which would impose on EVERYONE including non-christians.


    These are some examples of imposing beliefs on the rest of us, and that's what a lot of atheists go against.
    Great points, I can't disagree with you on any of them. You are doing what works for you. I am still interested if any of the other atheists or believers can articulate why what they do is the best for everyone else and why one should convert to their chosen religion or de-convert to atheism.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    I have to disagree with JustAlex and you Mrveggieman, because neither of you have evidently ever done any study on how America was founded. JustAlex says we were founded on secular views and thats totally wrong. Ever heard of the Pilgrims?? This country was founded so that "religious freedom" could be exercised. The King of England was imposing his religion on all of England, so those who disagreed began leaving England. In the beginning of our country, there were no printing presses, but the children were taught from the BIBLE. The reason the Ten Commandments are on our buildings, is because they were the basis for our law in the beginning. GOD had a pretty good idea in giving them to Moses. I am actually thankful, for "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shall not steal", "Thou shall not covet other peoples property", "Honor thy Father and Mother", they all seem pretty good stautes to live by. JustAlex, dont know how old you are, but you shouldnt throw out stuff without something to back it up. You guys keep drinking the kool-aid and you will miss the "TRUTH" that is right in front of you, problem is when someone tries to share it with you, you feel like they are "pushing their religion on you". Even Martin Luther King, who was named for one of the greatest Christian reformation leaders, said it best when he quoted GODS WORD, "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. Take care fellows, but please dont mislead others with untruths.
    Bobby Leonard

    I dont do Paypal!! Check, money order, or concealed cash only. I sell at 25-40% of BV.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have to disagree with JustAlex and you Mrveggieman, because neither of you have evidently ever done any study on how America was founded. JustAlex says we were founded on secular views and thats totally wrong. Ever heard of the Pilgrims?? This country was founded so that "religious freedom" could be exercised. The King of England was imposing his religion on all of England, so those who disagreed began leaving England. In the beginning of our country, there were no printing presses, but the children were taught from the BIBLE. The reason the Ten Commandments are on our buildings, is because they were the basis for our law in the beginning. GOD had a pretty good idea in giving them to Moses. I am actually thankful, for "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shall not steal", "Thou shall not covet other peoples property", "Honor thy Father and Mother", they all seem pretty good stautes to live by. JustAlex, dont know how old you are, but you shouldnt throw out stuff without something to back it up. You guys keep drinking the kool-aid and you will miss the "TRUTH" that is right in front of you, problem is when someone tries to share it with you, you feel like they are "pushing their religion on you". Even Martin Luther King, who was named for one of the greatest Christian reformation leaders, said it best when he quoted GODS WORD, "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. Take care fellows, but please dont mislead others with untruths.

    If that was the case why wasn't Jesus or the bible mentioned in the constitution, declaration of independence or the bill of rights?????
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  6. #6
    If you ever take the time to read the documents, you will find references to the BIBLE and to our Lord, our Savior.
    Bobby Leonard

    I dont do Paypal!! Check, money order, or concealed cash only. I sell at 25-40% of BV.

  7. #7
    Ok...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have to disagree with JustAlex and you Mrveggieman, because neither of you have evidently ever done any study on how America was founded. JustAlex says we were founded on secular views and thats totally wrong.
    Actually, I have studied it, and the evidence is much more on my side.

    Why does the constitution not name any god?

    Why is the only mention of religion is the establishment clause which has been interpreted to make a clear separation between government and religion....(Secularism!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    The reason the Ten Commandments are on our buildings, is because they were the basis for our law in the beginning. GOD had a pretty good idea in giving them to Moses. I am actually thankful, for "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shall not steal", "Thou shall not covet other peoples property", "Honor thy Father and Mother", they all seem pretty good stautes to live by.
    No, you're wrong.

    The ten commandments are NOT the basis of our laws, only 2 of them (thou shalt not kill and steal) are actual laws, the other 8 commandments can be broken at any time without consequence.

    Furthermore, saying that Killing and stealing are bad was not a concept invented by religion. It is a societal concept which is necessary to abide by if you wish a society to remain cohesive, it has nothing to do with god.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    JustAlex, dont know how old you are, but you shouldnt throw out stuff without something to back it up. You guys keep drinking the kool-aid and you will miss the "TRUTH" that is right in front of you, problem is when someone tries to share it with you, you feel like they are "pushing their religion on you".
    No, you can't say that "truth" is something for which there is no evidence for.

    Believing in god is not truth, it is faith.

    Furthermore, it is pushing your religion on me if I don't believe it and you insist that I follow it despite my non-belief.

    I don't "trust" in god, we are NOT "one nation under god", creationism is not science and thus doesn't belong in public schools.

    It's not unreasonable to want to be a secular country, if you want to live in a religious country then one should only look at Pakistan, Iran, Uganda, etc. to see how bad their governments are.
    "Islam is the mother load of bad ideas" -Sam Harris

    "Christianity is a close second" -Me

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    If you ever take the time to read the documents, you will find references to the BIBLE and to our Lord, our Savior.

    Please quote where. I wont be holding my breath waiting.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    I feel sorry for you Alex, if we lived by GOD'S standards that have been here since the beginning of time, not just since America was established, we would all be better off. Where has your secular country got you-into the mess America now is? The fall of America began when prayer was removed from school and Americas secular way of thinking began. It has continued under Obama, who will continue to drive America down, until either revolt occurs, we are taken over by China, or the LORD returns. Good day sir, we have nothing in common and no need to converse. I pray you find the TRUTH, cause hell is busting wide open with "secular" thinkers like yourself.
    Bobby Leonard

    I dont do Paypal!! Check, money order, or concealed cash only. I sell at 25-40% of BV.

  10. #10
    veggie--here you go. Dec of ind refers to the "Creator" and the "Supreme Judge of the World"
    You can take a breath now.

    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

    We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in general Congress assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the name and by the authority of the good people of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States;
    Bobby Leonard

    I dont do Paypal!! Check, money order, or concealed cash only. I sell at 25-40% of BV.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •