Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 112
  1. #61
    I don't dislike religious people. I dislike their behaviour.


    Religion clouds judgement. The common sense dictate is passed-by in favour of clouded religious dogma.

  2. #62


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,363
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    That's a great question....

    First of all, if alien life exists I do not believe it is the Hollywood movies type, I also do not believe they are coming to earth in flying saucers.

    Ok, back to the question.

    Earth is speck on this universe, a good analogy would be to say that Earth is a grain of sand in an endless beach.

    On this planet we were fortunate to have the right conditions for life to arise, however rare this occurrence may be, it is certainly possible that a similar process happened on another planet in some other galaxy.

    How would this life be?

    Would it be as evolved as ours? Well, that depends on numerous factors.

    At the moment, we don't have any evidence to conclude that alien life exists, however, since we already have a scientific theory of how life came to be on this planet, I believe that alien life is possible.
    So despite there being zero evidence, you don't disbelieve alien life. Interesting...
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  3. #63



    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,471
    Country
    Card Cash
    0.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom2005 View Post
    I've heard this argument before. It does not meet acceptable standards of evidence used today. If this is good enough for you, cool. It does not allow Christians to impose their will on the government or anyone else.
    Which standards are not met? (And I agree on your second point.)
    Buying "Broder" unlicensed sets and singles.

  4. #64
    drtom who does have the right to impose their will on government or anyone else?
    Jay Shrewsbury
    Hidden Content

  5. #65



    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,471
    Country
    Card Cash
    0.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    Christian apologists have been using that excuse for decades, but it is flawed.

    I guess drtom already explained it, but if you say that god has always been, then I can say the Universe has always been without a beginning or end.
    You're comparing the physical world to the spiritual world. In the physical world there is zero evidence that something can come from nothing. The scientific response is that eventually they will be able to prove how something came from nothing. They also expect others to believe that after the big bang, molten rock and chemical reactions created little specks of life that magically transformed over time into complex human bodies with the ability to think logically, reproduce, and thrive on this planet.

    To me, it takes just as much faith to believe there is not a God as it takes to believe there is a God.
    Buying "Broder" unlicensed sets and singles.

  6. #66


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,363
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post

    To me, it takes just as much faith to believe there is not a God as it takes to believe there is a God.
    Church!!!!!
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    You're comparing the physical world to the spiritual world.
    Define this "Spiritual world" you speak of....hell, for that matter, define the word "spiritual".

    I'm not mocking you, the reason I ask this is because if you go down the list, you will notice that many people have vastly different definitions to these two concepts.

    Some people believe the "Spiritual world" is where ghosts and demons and angels dwell.

    Others believe the "spiritual world" is heaven and hell.

    Others believe that this is the realm of monsters from literature such as witches, vampires, etc.

    Others believe it's Nirvana.....and I can keep going.

    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    The scientific response is that eventually they will be able to prove how something came from nothing.
    Who told you that?

    I haven't read anything about scientists wanting to prove something comes from nothing.

    Their response today is the same it's always been......"We don't know".

    And I like that response a lot more than....."I know exactly how the Universe started, and I know exactly what will happen when you die, but I have zero evidence to prove this assertion."

    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    They also expect others to believe that after the big bang, molten rock and chemical reactions created little specks of life that magically transformed over time into complex human bodies with the ability to think logically, reproduce, and thrive on this planet.
    You clearly don't understand the big bang theory, cosmology, abiogenesis, or evolution.

    You just clumped them all together in an attempt to make it sound ridiculous.

    In other words, you created a strawman.

    Furthermore, it is "god" who does "magic".....he supposedly created EVERYTHING in existence out of nothing, and supposedly no one created him and he exists outside of the logic, space and time.

    Science is looking for answers, they may never get these answers, but that doesn't mean we insert "god" in the gaps.

    Why not look back in history, when everything was attributed to god, until science was able to correct their mistakes:

    Why does it rain? ("god" is sad)

    Where does a rainbow come from? ("god" did it)

    Why do people become sick? ("god" or the "devil" has placed a curse on you)

    Why don't we float into space? ("god" is keeping us down here)

    All of these questions were previously unknown and attributed to a god.....religions didn't care if they were right or wrong.

    Science DID care, and now we understand why it rains, why we don't float into space, and how diseases work.

    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    To me, it takes just as much faith to believe there is not a God as it takes to believe there is a God.
    Faith: belief that is not based on proof.

    You believe in a god despite the zero evidence that is available for him.....hence you have faith in god.

    I don't believe in god because there is no proof.....I don't have faith in him, and my position is relied on evidence....which basically means that it CAN change.

    But somehow we are equal in terms of faith?

    You do see the inconsistency here, right?
    Logic and Reason is all you need.

  8. #68


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,363
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    You think God isn't possible because of zero evidence.
    You think aliens are possible despite zero evidence.

    See the problem?
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    You think God isn't possible because of zero evidence.
    You think aliens are possible despite zero evidence.

    See the problem?
    No, I don't see the problem.

    "god" is undefinable.

    Aliens are definable.

    Essential the word 'Alien' (in this usage) is defined as living organism outside our planet.

    There, I just defined it, and we can even give it characteristics.

    How do you define "god"?

    You can't.

    =======

    I just notice how weird this sounds.

    What I mean when I say that you can't define god is that you can't give god any characteristics since there is no way of comprehending what "god" even is.

    Religions TRY to define god and they form incredible logical fallacies in doing so.

    The Christian god for example contradicts himself over and over again in the bible, but he's given characteristics of being "perfect"....it doesn't make sense!
    Last edited by JustAlex; 12-10-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Logic and Reason is all you need.

  10. #70


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,363
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    How do you define "god"?
    Supreme being. Creator and Ruler of all things.

    Try again.

    and any characteristics you give aliens is nothing more than speculation. Kind of like giving God characteristics...
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •