Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It humors me to see collectors destroying the hobby...

.. from a financial aspect. I mean.. The hobby basically almost bottomed out due to the mass production of cards until the companies revamped and started serializing cards, adding autos, relics, ect. In order to try and establish a stable foundation ideally to be used for building blocks to make the hobby fun and a more stable investment.

I personally love the hobby for the fun and for the money. With that being said, I notice a huge black hole still present. This brings me to my first point on how collectors are destroying the hobby. Lets say you had an Alex Rodriguez 94' Leaf Limited Gold Phenoms Rookie Graded to a 9 MINT by Beckett and the value is $350 by Beckett as well and you sold it for $151.99 on eBay. Well That's selling the card for 56.6% of the book value, So why do we base the value off of Beckett? Why do you spend so much money a month for their pricing services if were going make the value that they decide obsolete? It's funny how people really do destroy this awesome hobby as it starts to lose it's fun when you start losing money. It's also remarkable how people destroy the each product that comes out but crippling the value of it by selling the #1 big hit that everyone is chasing for way under the book value, at the price of about 2 boxes. If I know I can get the #1 auto for the price of 2 boxes $300ish, why would I even buy the box/packs trying to chase? =)

I do applaude all of those standing around book value who might discount 5-25%, but to everyone else selling cards way less then they're worth I laugh at you and pity; because not only are you losing money, you're taking money out of everyones pockets.

I know the old tale of a card only being worth what someone is willing to pay... but how about the tale about the card only being worth what it's priced for.

Just a little rant, Just a little rave

Yours Truly,
    Laser 'The Big Man From Boston'

If you are in this hobby for making money you are in the wrong hobby. BVs are irrelevant to what a card is really valued at.

If you love baseball cards, as I do, it's a wonderful hobby. And there's plenty of product for all income levels. I think it's wonderful you can go out, get a ton of 20+ year old cards for almost nothing, and just go through them. A complete set of 660 cards if $49 bucks, which is comparable to a complete set sold in 1990 for $20 when factoring in inflation. However, the quality of the cards today are many times better.

However, Beckett values have always been inflated under the pressure from dealers. Beckett is only good for a trading value point of view. Counterfeits, bad dealers, and over-inflated card conditions have always plagued the hobby.

We used to sub-lease our video store with a baseball card dealer, and we would see him open packs, take out valuable cards, reseal the pack, and resell it. Even on Upper Deck, he knew how to do it without making the pack look tampered. Kid you not.

There are some good dealers like Dean's cards, while not the cheapest, you get exactly what you pay for.

And like said by many (and by all who aren't dealers), if you in cards to make a buck, go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    If you are in this hobby for making money you are in the wrong hobby. BVs are irrelevant to what a card is really valued at.
    I agree 100%. Beckett is really, really out of touch with true prices. People sell cards for what they will sell for, period. If anything, ebay and the internet has driven prices down, not just a bunch of idiots selling cards at dirt cheap prices. I am amazed that people still think of cards as an investment.
    Last edited by Redman5006; 11-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Collecting Baseball Rookie Cards.
    Hidden Content

What is this Beckett Guide you guys speak about? I'm unfamiliar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman5006 View Post
    I agree 100%. Beckett is really, really out of touch with true prices. People sell cards for what they will sell for, period. If anything, ebay and the internet has driven prices down, not just a bunch of idiots selling cards at dirt cheap prices. I am amazed that people still think of cards as an investment.
    Don't blame eBay or the internet for card prices falling, blame the card companies. The card companies started over-saturating the market with "hits" in 1998. If base jerseys were still one per case, prices would still be high. eBay and the internet just made cards more accessible to collectors.

You also have to blame the memorabilia companies, too. Game jerseys, bats, autographed bats, balls, photos, etc. prices are also falling because of over-saturation. The card companies and memorabilia companies should have held back stock to keep prices high, similar to the way gold and diamond companies do today.

Do I miss the "good ole days" when inserts and base cards of star players were actually worth something? Sure. Do I miss the time when I could easily sell a base jersey card of a superstar for hundreds of dollars? Yeah. But you also have to look at it from the other side; now "nice" cards are more affordable to a larger portion of the collecting community. 10-15 years ago, an autograph of a superstar wouldn't be in a kids collection unless he struck the lottery and pulled it from a pack. Now a kid can easily by an autograph of an all-star quality player for not much money.

You have to remember that this is a hobby first and foremost, it's only a business to card companies and dealers. Years ago I made the decision to only collect autographs because they hold their value better. I had binders full of inexpensive relics that I really didn't care about. Sure they were nice, I can still appreciate a sick patch, but I can live without it. And now I've moved away from just autographs, too. For the past few years I've been about collecting quality over quantity, now I changed that to even better quality and even less quantity. There's some really amazing cards out there you can get for $50 or so, but I'm switching to only "high-end" autographs. Cards that would be considered "crown jewels" of collections will now be the only cards in my collection. The number of cards in my collection will drastically go down, but I can't live without the cards that are in my PC. And the reason I'm doing this is because of the over-saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by JBpatches View Post
    Don't blame eBay or the internet for card prices falling, blame the card companies. The card companies started over-saturating the market with "hits" in 1998. If base jerseys were still one per case, prices would still be high. eBay and the internet just made cards more accessible to collectors.

You also have to blame the memorabilia companies, too. Game jerseys, bats, autographed bats, balls, photos, etc. prices are also falling because of over-saturation. The card companies and memorabilia companies should have held back stock to keep prices high, similar to the way gold and diamond companies do today.

Do I miss the "good ole days" when inserts and base cards of star players were actually worth something? Sure. Do I miss the time when I could easily sell a base jersey card of a superstar for hundreds of dollars? Yeah. But you also have to look at it from the other side; now "nice" cards are more affordable to a larger portion of the collecting community. 10-15 years ago, an autograph of a superstar wouldn't be in a kids collection unless he struck the lottery and pulled it from a pack. Now a kid can easily by an autograph of an all-star quality player for not much money.

You have to remember that this is a hobby first and foremost, it's only a business to card companies and dealers. Years ago I made the decision to only collect autographs because they hold their value better. I had binders full of inexpensive relics that I really didn't care about. Sure they were nice, I can still appreciate a sick patch, but I can live without it. And now I've moved away from just autographs, too. For the past few years I've been about collecting quality over quantity, now I changed that to even better quality and even less quantity. There's some really amazing cards out there you can get for $50 or so, but I'm switching to only "high-end" autographs. Cards that would be considered "crown jewels" of collections will now be the only cards in my collection. The number of cards in my collection will drastically go down, but I can't live without the cards that are in my PC. And the reason I'm doing this is because of the over-saturation.
    I'm not the one blaming anything here. I just said a bigger reason prices have dropped is because of eBay. Not because of a bunch of people selling cards for less than they are worth.
    Like you said, with eBay now cards are easier to find.
    Collecting Baseball Rookie Cards.
    Hidden Content

I loved the sparked interest here. Busting packs alone and or with your buddies is incredibly fun. It's great to spend time and acquire PC cards and the whole gamble of it all. Not everybody is made of money, so to be able to keep going with the hobby people tend to sell their hits that won't go into their PC. If cards are selling for way under what they were really intended to people will no longer be able to turn their cards and get as many packs more as they could've. When this process tends to continue, people lose more and more until.. until ultimately they are at a total lose with money and just have a PC. These people no longer have the funds to keep going, because the cards didn't hold a flame towards it intended value. That's business 101, anybody in the business field and or was in the marketing field understands that. The people that let it get that far are the 'addicts' who don't car about the money aspect who just love opening cards for the rush, in some cases it's just as bad as drugs. The recreational pack busters really suffer, because they can't turn cards to get more packs, like they should be able to if they have some decent hits. Then you have the people that have all the money in the world and just don't care, must be nice. I'm a collector, I must packs weekly.. this isn't a message of OMG I'M QUITTING THE HOBBY THERES NO MONEY TO GAIN.. This is my business mentality kicking in, yes I enjoy pack opening, but at this rate the hobby will bottom out once again. Theres no denying it.

Let me also add.. When I get a super hit like I did in 2012 Topps Finest Football /10 Luck Griffin Tannehill Auto Relic. I look like --

Video Removed for language............

And sell ASAP when the ticket is high, because it's going to be worth half that next year, even worse the next year after that.
    Last edited by mess0312; 12-04-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Video Removed for language............

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyfanatic1224 View Post
    What is this Beckett Guide you guys speak about? I'm unfamiliar with it.
    I just had to quote this, as most people that bring up the money aspect are also unfamiliar with it. I say that because they always seem to forget the "Guide" part of the title.

The card industry could've went belly up & died completely 25 years ago & it wouldn't have deterred me from the hobby in the least. To say that collectors are destroying the hobby is nonsense, as collectors are the only ones that are truly keeping this hobby going! Why, because that is what it is to us, a hobby. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but no one can destroy this hobby for me, but me.

I didn't start my collection caring how much money it was worth & I still don't care. If I want to worry about something, I have a wife, four kids & two grandchildren that give me real enough worries & I have the gray hairs to prove it!
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 549/3385 not including 1/1's (16.2%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 9/19 (47.4%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast