Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like I said, I am amazed people still think of sports cards as an investment and that people even consider Becketts prices to be relevent. The market is what determines prices, not some third party company. The hobby is what it is. I never open packs anymore for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I simply buy or trade for the cards I want for my collection, I always get something I need that way and never have to worry about getting shafted on a box of cards. I love this hobby and enjoy it very much this way.
    Last edited by Redman5006; 12-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Collecting Baseball Rookie Cards.
    Hidden Content

Baseball cards are alot like the lottery!! Most of the time you are lucky to get your $2 back, time to time you might hit for $20 or better but when you do its big. Anyone here crying because they didnt win the $500million lottery. Im not and yet i will try again next week! Same with baseball I buy packs most of the time to see what my luck brings me. Most of the time not worth the money sometimes (like a month or two ago) you get lucky and pully a color swap, or auto patch or whatever. It is what you make it!

Or you can not give a damn about playing the lottery or worrying about getting a card that is supposed to worth money, and just collect for the love of cards. Yea I know, putting inserts is the only way Topps is going to sell cards and flip a profit, so I get it.

I dont care about book value, or cards going up in value. Yes, i am a COLLECTOR. Once in awhile i sell a few cards (nothing expensive), and i will do an auction and start it low and let the bidders set the price. If its way below the phony book value, oh well. What about the dealers with BIN prices way OVER book value, other dealers see that and then ask more for their cards. Levi at 707 is like that, he is so expensive, to me he ruins the price structure on cards as he makes everybody ask for MORE money for their cards. So it goes both ways.
    ITS GREAT TO LOVE ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS!

Hidden Content

I challenge each person that says they collect for fun, but they use beckett only to get their cards graded and not for their value. If you collect for fun and the cards in pretty decent shape why get it graded? Getting it graded only proves the fact that you want the card to hold some value. Also I think I might cripple the value of bryce harper autos tonight.. I have 10 in totally, maybe I'll post them on eBay for $65/each. ;) ;) ;) I would never, I just really like to challenge some of you low priced sellers out there.. A collector is anyone who opens a pack and has a PC or not, who does it for fun and or for profit.

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by lasershow15 View Post
    I challenge each person that says they collect for fun, but they use beckett only to get their cards graded and not for their value. If you collect for fun and the cards in pretty decent shape why get it graded? Getting it graded only proves the fact that you want the card to hold some value.
    I'll take that challenge! The only cards I've ever submitted to Beckett have been PC cards & it had nothing to do with value. I've had cards come back with grades in the 4's, 3's, 2's & even no grades, just slabbed as authentic. The reason I submitted them was not for the grade, but for the encapsulation itself. I love the look of the Beckett slabs & I thought it would make for a nice display idea that I have in my head to create. The protection aspect is very appealing to me as my 2 year old grandson really likes going through them with me as well. I don't see how any of these reasons proves the fact that I want the cards to hold any value other than sentimental. Some of these cards have been in my collection for over 35 years & with any luck I'll have another 35 years to enjoy them!
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 555/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 9/19 (47.4%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

I can respect the point of you appreciating the grading aspect for the case. To each their own I guess, as I'd just invest in magnetic holders and put a large team back over them. But that is a good point I over looked.

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by lasershow15 View Post
    I can respect the point of you appreciating the grading aspect for the case. To each their own I guess, as I'd just invest in magnetic holders and put a large team back over them. But that is a good point I over looked.
    Yeah, I've tried the magnetic cases & team bags. They are not 2 year old proof! lol They also don't hold some of the oddball size releases very well. If they just sold the slabs then I would just go that route. I could make my own label inserts & I would be more than happy with that.
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 555/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 9/19 (47.4%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Anytime someone hears my coworkers & I discussing baseball cards and chimes in "oh, and they might be worth money someday."
    It makes me cringe. I have explained countless times it's not about the monetary value, my HOBBY is not going to send my imaginary grand kids to college, and my PC cards are probably valued higher today than they'll ever be. Market value's all down hill after my player retires.
    It's absolutely not about the value.
    Yeah, they're expensive and I sure as heck protect then better than anything else I own, but it's out of principle, not hope for profit.
    Baseball cards are a poor monetary investment, but they are an excellent hobby.
    I totally understand however, that if there wasn't a lottery component the world wouldn't be busting packs and selling me their hits.
    But Beckett's worthless. And I agree sellers with over priced cards do more damage than sellers with cheap cards. I can think of a few sellers I absolutely despise because they have cards I need for 10x what anyone wants to pay.
    How's that helping the hobby?
    Last edited by Livin_OK; 12-03-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Joey Votto can run faster, jump higher, dive deeper, stay under longer, come up dryer and whip his weight in wildcats while gettin' kicked every fifteen minutes by a Zebra.

Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Im subscribing to this thread, you guys all have some great points and im enjoying hearing all these opinions lol.
    Bucket- Hidden Content
    Hamels
    Kershaw
    Starlin Castro
    (Under Construction)- Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast