Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why dispute a case?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bobbybruins's Items on eBay

Why dispute a case?

Hello, I was just wondering if any of you member ever got your cards back from a dispute case. In six plus years, I have two dispute case and both resulting in never getting anything in return. Comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Robert

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Cards returned 3 times, money returned once. I involve Parents and the Police if necessary.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Never had to dispute a case yet, but i heard about positive results from other members who have

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

I have had mixed results from my few disbutes cases. Cards rec'd - 1 Cards not rec'd - 2.

The disbutes are not easy and I found out recently that we have only 1 person looking after this. I have done a bit of what this could be called collections in the past. It is not an easy task and to have a success ratio of 33% for me is good. Most times the number is less the 20% - in world of collections/finance.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

As this isn't hockey card talk per se, I'm going to move this to a general discussion forum.

Disputes are not an easy thing to try to resolve. When the initial problem is that the person filing the dispute hasn't received their cards because the other participant isn't participating and didn't actually ship the cards, it becomes a circular issue. The person has a dispute against them for not sending, and unless they have a change of attitude and send, well there's not much room to advance. On some occasions it can be due to a lapse in memory or a legitimate reason (family issues) which can get squared away pretty quickly. But when it's a problem of intransigence filing a dispute may not result in you actually getting your cards owed. In cases where cards arrived damage, we can often provide a plan of action that leads to the return of all original cards (i.e. the status quo ante) or propose an alternative card or two be sent to replace the damaged card.

What filing a dispute can do in those circumstances is force consequences for the person's inaction. The person will have action taken to restrict their account, such as an MSF or No Trading/Buying/Selling tag. The MSF remains in place for a considerable amount of time until a person demonstrates that they are trustworthy enough to have that restriction lifted. An NTSB remains in place indefinitely until all open transactions are successfully concluded. Often as a follow up members can be suspended or even banned from SCF.

So filing a dispute is always the correct course of action if you do not receive what you are owed in a deal in a timely manner, or if you receive cards which are damaged. The staff works hard to provide resolution to these issues so that good traders do not get ripped off, so that a simple error does not end up damaging the reputation of an otherwise very credible trader, and so that others in the future do not have to endure the same feeling of violation at being ripped off by disingenuous people looking to scam the many good and great traders of the community.

Hope that helps answer the question from an SCF staff member's perspective.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why wouldn't you dispute it?

At worst you could get a potential scammer or bad trader kicked off the site and then they won't be a threat here to other members. I have opened up a couple of disputes for people not paying for my items and most of them have led to me getting paid. Much better percentage than when I was on eBay.

Is it always going to work? No but it doesn't hurt to try and see if the other person will be reasonable and deal with you to work it out.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with your comments 100%. That is why the dispute case should be used for, so when your trading partner does not want to cooperate or gives you the run around, they should be banned no question ask.

So filing a dispute is always the correct course of action if you do not receive what you are owed in a deal in a timely manner, or if you receive cards which are damaged.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Exactly why you should dispute it.

At worst you could get a potential scammer or bad trader kicked off the site and then they won't be a threat here to other members.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roaddogg02316's Items on eBay

If your owed something and it's taking forever. It is best to dispute it. No need to handle it all on your own. The disputes team handles things as best they can and mediates the issue. I know from working in the disputes that some people can be completely stubborn and all. But having a mediator helps things from going completely south.

As for getting stuff back. I've willingly sent stuff back to a guy without disputing it. Was a kid who wanted something, and he sends me dinged up cards for what I was sending. Was stuff I was only taking in trade to hopefully move, but ya can't move up dinged up stuff.
    Another instance a guy sent me a damaged card and claimed it wasn't that way when he sent it. He went PWE as I didn't mind, but no protection whatsoever. I sent it back and he was told he had to cover the cost to ship back, which he did.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, I can tell you that my dispute went south and fast.

Imagine this, I'm a self employed electrician and my supplier sends me a package damaged. He claims it wasn't damaged when he sent it, so doesn't want to replace anything but they are smart enought to have insurance on their stuff, so have a change of heart and finally take responsability for the stuff not arriving at my home safe and sound. It would be safe to say that I will no longer purchase items from them if they would have shafted me, so this brings me to my damage card.

Again imagine this, I receive a well protected package but still the card arrives damaged, like you, my card that I receive would be for tradebait. So I PM'ed the member to tell him that it's damaged, then he tells me that the card was not damaged when sent and everything was done to SCF rules, so he doesn't want to return my cards. Well you can say that I was not too impressed. So on comes the dispute. Let's just say nothing got resolved from that. So now,

-I have a damaged card that's worth nothing(well almost nothing).
    -The other member has mint cards for potential tradebait.
    -Member did not want to return my cards
    -Dispute closed because we couldn't come to a resolution when the only thing I wanted was my cards back
    -Don't understand why the member is not banned
    -Did I mentioned I am still upset.

If your owed something and it's taking forever. It is best to dispute it. No need to handle it all on your own. The disputes team handles things as best they can and mediates the issue. I know from working in the disputes that some people can be completely stubborn and all. But having a mediator helps things from going completely south.

As for getting stuff back. I've willingly sent stuff back to a guy without disputing it. Was a kid who wanted something, and he sends me dinged up cards for what I was sending. Was stuff I was only taking in trade to hopefully move, but ya can't move up dinged up stuff.
    Another instance a guy sent me a damaged card and claimed it wasn't that way when he sent it. He went PWE as I didn't mind, but no protection whatsoever. I sent it back and he was told he had to cover the cost to ship back, which he did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast