Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See raf240's Items on eBay

Do you think the habs can be a good team this year (or next)

I think yes.

The lock-out is not a reason to not discuss this kind of things. Our NHL feelings can be on the hard side, but we have to focus on the positives things of the hockey. Because we can became crazy about things, but not when we're talking about the habs.

I see them again running for the 8 th seed. They may miss the playoffs, but not by mutch. The results of the drastic re-working of the people around the players can't be bad.

What do you think?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

So many variables, in Galchenyuk they finally got a legitimate #1 center talent wise...Koivu was ok, but a #1 star centre? G-man maybe the most talented of last years draft, period. But young Russian's have not fared well in Montreal...he really needs to have a veteran mentor to keep him in line, not too mention Away from the strong presence of the Russian mafia in MTL, who that veteran is?...if they do not rush him and protect him well, that will be Huge for them.
    Not sure about their cap room? 7.5 M for Gionta who has been cut...do they still have that amount against the cap?
    Eric Cole Was a 30 goal scorer, but 30 goal scorers go to Montreal to die...he is a streaky scorer and if he goes 10 w/o a goal...watch the habs fans turn on him but fast which will make him squeeze his stick even harder...not a good signing at 4.5M per imho...
    I think they have some good prospects, but for now, the East is so stacked...but you never know, I think they took the Bruin's to 7 in the 1st round 2 years ago, so anything can happen!

SCF Rewards
    Country

So many variables, in Galchenyuk they finally got a legitimate #1 center talent wise...Koivu was ok, but a #1 star centre? G-man maybe the most talented of last years draft, period. But young Russian's have not fared well in Montreal...he really needs to have a veteran mentor to keep him in line, not too mention Away from the strong presence of the Russian mafia in MTL, who that veteran is?...if they do not rush him and protect him well, that will be Huge for them.
    Not sure about their cap room? 7.5 M for Gionta who has been cut...do they still have that amount against the cap?
    Eric Cole Was a 30 goal scorer, but 30 goal scorers go to Montreal to die...he is a streaky scorer and if he goes 10 w/o a goal...watch the habs fans turn on him but fast which will make him squeeze his stick even harder...not a good signing at 4.5M per imho...
    I think they have some good prospects, but for now, the East is so stacked...but you never know, I think they took the Bruin's to 7 in the 1st round 2 years ago, so anything can happen!

So much of that just isn't accurate at all.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So much of that just isn't accurate at all.

What part Mr Know it all? Most of what I said are actually questions not answers!

What I do know is they will be crushed by the Bigger, Faster more Skilled Rangers, Bruin's, Capitals, Penguins, Flyers, Devils, the very talented Senators, the Lightning with better goal-tending, the Sabres...well Everyone! MTL couldn't even finish ahead of the Leafs last year!..but yeah Eric Cole and a 18 Year old Russian will change all that!...Maybe they can trade for Cammarelli...oh wait they did and he sank like a rock there as well, and they got a total slacker in Rene Bourque in return...
    The Habs have done nNothing since Roy left town and have had even One legit superstar since...no one with any brains like Nash will ever sign there!

One of the Wealthiest franchises in the NHL and they have been barely relevant since 1993! Abysmal management, terrible draft picks and even worse free agency signings. They finished dead last last season. What part about that is not accurate?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Some inaccuracies:

7.5 M for Gionta who has been cut

The captain of the Canadiens has not "been cut" nor does he make $7.5M per season. You may have been thinking of Gomez, but he wasn't cut either.

a 18 Year old Russian

Galchenyuk was born in Milwaukee, WI, USA. He did spend considerable time growing up in Russia, but he's been in North America since he was 15.

Eric Cole Was a 30 goal scorer

Cole scored 35 goals last season, so he is still a 30+ goal scorer.

Maybe they can trade for Cammarelli...oh wait they did

Mike Cammalleri was a July 1st free agent signing in 2009. They did not acquire him via trade.

They finished dead last last season

Actually they finished 28th out of 30 teams. Edmonton and Columbus were both worse teams.

That's just three off the top of my head.

--------------------------------------------

As for the team, quite frankly they made minor adjustments this past off-season and they did not address their #1 problem: scoring. The depth additions of Prust, Armstrong, and Bouillon will make the Habs a tougher team to play against, but none of them will be significant contributors to the offence. This team very badly needs people who can score goals. How many shoot outs did they go 0-fer? How many games did they score two or fewer? They've got an All-World Goalie in Carey Price, but he can't score goals for the Habs, only prevent goals against them. Subban still needs to be re-signed. We do not know what the salary cap landscape will look like if/when this lockout ends in time for a shortened 2012-13 season.

Things off the ice have improved dramatically but the actual on-ice product still leaves me with a lot of question marks.
    Last edited by RGM81; 12-03-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: One more - that's five now
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habs1909_2009's Items on eBay

The Habs have done nNothing since Roy left town and have had even One legit superstar since...

What part about that is not accurate?

First in the east in 2007-08, stanley cup semi finalist in 2009
    1- P.K Subban - Vlad Guerrero (Expos)
    2- Montreal Canadiens Centennial auto'd (current count: 125)
    3- Brian Gionta 10-11 Panini Certified Mirror Emerald, Black and Big men jersey auto
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Uh, what? I didn't say Gomez was the captain, and Cole, 30 or 35 goals, wow, that changes Everything! lol.....and Galchenyuk, yeah got me! he is a yank than lol...Anyhoo...if you want to be anal about trivia, if finishing 28th instead of last, ahead of the mighty Blue Jackets from Ohio of all places makes you feel better, all the best!

For what its worth, I do agree with your on ice assessment of the Habs issues, and Cole, with no help now...20 goals would be a great achievement!

enjoy your evening!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

First in the east in 2007-08, stanley cup semi finalist in 2009

Congrats...you have found "mistakes"...I am far from an expert on Hab's history, but how does that change the Truth that the habs are simply an awful team right NOW? Raphael put the question out there, and my simply answer is No. If you think they will make the playoffs, than say why, don't go around nit picking about details that have nothing to do with the question!
    I suppose focusing on trivia helps take the pain away from the fact they are too small, too slow, and too unskilled.
    If you disagree with me and think they Will make the playoffs, simply have the courage to say why and put your answer out there!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Uh, what? I didn't say Gomez was the captain, and Cole, 30 or 35 goals, wow, that changes Everything! lol.....and Galchenyuk, yeah got me! he is a yank than lol...Anyhoo...if you want to be anal about trivia, if finishing 28th instead of last, ahead of the mighty Blue Jackets from Ohio of all places makes you feel better, all the best!

For what its worth, I do agree with your on ice assessment of the Habs issues, and Cole, with no help now...20 goals would be a great achievement!

enjoy your evening!!

You said Gionta was cut. Those were your words. You didn't say Gomez. You said Gionta. Brian Gionta is the captain of the Montreal Canadiens. The captain was not cut.

The details are important because if you don't have the details right, it undermines your credibility when you try to make a bigger point. I could make all kinds of historically inaccurate statements about the New Jersey Devils, but would you take my "big picture" assessment seriously even if it was bang-on?

SCF Rewards
    Country

My faux pas, I meant to say Gomez, who everyone knows is the one who makes 7.5M.
    To answer your question, if your "sense" of any situation was Bang on, Yes! I would take you seriously. Why?, because if a dam house was on fire, and you said, FRED, get the hell out of the house!, I most certainly would.
    regards,

TIM

PS, now if all you Hab fans, the only ones responding, will kindly let it go, as I am clearly out numbered here, I thank you in advance. This isn't my post, if you want to Answer to Raphael's question, by all means, Have a go at it friends!!
    I suppose a thank you is in order as well to all the responses I have received...My "sense" must have hit some nerve or there would not be so much "protest too loudly."

Go Habs go, I sincerely miss the great rivalry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast