Obama weighing military options if Syria uses chemical weapons

http://news.yahoo.com/us-weighing-mi...223957678.html

The White House and its allies are weighing military options to secure Syria's chemical and biological weapons, after U.S. intelligence reports show the Syrian regime may be readying those weapons and may be desperate enough to use them, U.S. officials said Monday.

President Barack Obama, in a speech at the National Defense University on Monday, pointedly warned Syrian President Bashar Assad not to use his arsenal.

"Today I want to make it absolutely clear to Assad and those under his command: The world is watching," Obama said. "The use of chemical weapons is and would be totally unacceptable. And if you make the tragic mistake of using these weapons, there will be consequences and you will be held accountable."

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, in Prague for meetings with Czech officials, said she wouldn't outline any specifics.

"But suffice it to say, we are certainly planning to take action if that eventuality were to occur," Clinton said.

Options now being considered range from aerial strikes to limited raids by regional forces to secure the stockpiles, according to one current U.S. official, and one former U.S. official, briefed on the matter. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

The administration remains reluctant to dispatch U.S. forces into Syria, but a U.S. special operations training team is in neighboring Jordan, teaching troops there how to safely secure such sites together with other troops from the region, the officials said.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Nope have the U. N. take the lead. The U.S. is support only. We can't afford any more wars.
    Hidden Content
    My new site at MYHOBBYCARDS:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by drtom2005 View Post
    Nope have the U. N. take the lead. The U.S. is support only. We can't afford any more wars.
    ^^^

The U.S should NOT be the Police of the world.

I'm sorry, but it is NOT our problem what happens in foreign countries.
    "Islam is the mother load of bad ideas" -Sam Harris

"Christianity is a close second" -Me

Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    ^^^

Daily Double

CHURCH!!
    CHURCH!!
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    ^^^

In a rare occurrence, you and I agree. I am tired of seeing our troops risk their lives to protect people who hate us in a fight that isn't our fight.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Wed like to zee the US not be the world police too.
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

The problem is that the UN sits and waits for the US to do something. It is a rare occasion that UN troops are the first into a region of major conflict. In fact, I can't remember the last time they were the first into anywhere.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    The problem is that the UN sits and waits for the US to do something. It is a rare occasion that UN troops are the first into a region of major conflict. In fact, I can't remember the last time they were the first into anywhere.
    Well generally you do what you want regardless of the UN. So it makes sense to wait for you guys and see what the mess is going to be before the rest of us go in.
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.