Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

The pricing of a product like this is very hard, so is the design and checklist. I dare anyone challenging the price to go out and get a certified auto of any of these players for $30. You'll be lucky to get in contact with 1/3 of them. You can talk about resale all you want, but the pure cost of signings from some of these players are ridiculously high, and it's a major factor in the price. Add licensing and packaging and it's a very fine line to deal with. Compare it to it's main competition, Parkhurst Champions of last year. On DA, you can get a box for $80, and get 1-2 autos of the same calibre of players, yet people still loved that product. Times that by 2 and you get 2-4 autos for $160, so the pricing isn't off at all to me. There's a cost to signing these players, and Panini didn't fill it full of inserts.

With people saying that Titanium is better and more reasonable at $20-25 a pack, some of them are also the same ones complaining about how a $1 GU card or sticker auto for that price. There's just no way to please the majority of the people any more.

As far as the design goes, they hit it spot on to me. All of the pictures are of good, clean, crisp quality, and it has the retro look to it. I really like the back of the cards as well. I am a huge fan of the design.

To all the complaints about the names and player selection (diversity), I don't want to have the same players over and over again, and the fact that they included some players that do not have a ton of autograph cards is pretty cool as well. As a Canucks fan, I love the fact they included Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning, Richard Brodeur and Dan Cloutier. A lot of people would complain about pulling one, but I'd be more than ecstatic to pull one. There's a lot of names on that checklist that I feel a sense of nostalgia when I watch them play or read about the game in the past. At some point if we keep on putting players like Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, etc. into products over these players, we are going to complain because there isn't diversity.

The average break to me seems very solid compared to other retired player products; you get a very solid hit (the dual auto in this case) and 5 other autos of players who have had a significant impact in the game per box. All of the autos of the players are classy as well.

If you slapped a UD logo, I don't think a lot of people would be complaining about it or the price, and it is what it is: a classy product.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (5)
    Country
    See razzamaztaz's Items on eBay

Don't get me wrong, you know me, I like most Panini stuff, at least they can spell to the word design which UD often can't. I'm just afraid of another SPGU: buy a box, get $20 back (yes spgu is often that horrible!). Shelling 180$ then... I could before but the oast months has been killers for me, so expect for nice cards I also like to get some revalue in it. I was really shocked when I saw the price, a product like this shouldn't be on that pricelevel, unless it's very limited (like that Montreal product few years back. Centinnal?), or got some extra stuff in it. Nice with banners, but how about some really rare beautiful designed inserts to go with it, and then guarantee an sp auto per box. That's what I'd want to pay this price. As for the names, couldn't agree more, there's too many big names and Hof:ers in all products, it's overflooded, so overflooded pulling an odd oldtimer name people think are worthless can be worth lots more than another Malkin etc. So far so good. It's just that it seems horribly overpriced and it scares me away anyway.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You can justify whatever you want, but $180 for that box that was cracked was absolutely DISGUSTING! That person has $30 worth of auto's and that's ONLY if they can find someone to purchase those 6 auto's. For $180/box, you HAVE to get SOMETHING. And if an UD logo was slapped on it, it would be just as bad. You can go on and on about how you can't get auto's of some of those players, but you know what? I will personally give you $1,000 if you can find 100 people who are willing to pay $30 an auto for ANY of the autographs pulled from that box. Seriously. Are there 100 on this planet willing to pay $30 for a Kevin Weeks auto? No. 100 people willing to pay $30 for a Kjell Samuellson auto? No. And it continues for another 4 auto's. I said it as soon as I saw the checklist, "Depending on price point, this could be the set of the year". At $180/box this is the biggest bust of the year (Maybe even the past 10 years) and I don't feel sorry for a single person who pays that. Why? Because there is no excuse. Everyone now knows what you'll get with this garbage product.

From the SP's and SSP's it seems as though the hits are 1-2 per case, which is TERRIBLE. This is a product that even at $90/box is a rip-off. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

This is the best review of this product, dead on.

You can justify whatever you want, but $180 for that box that was cracked was absolutely DISGUSTING! That person has $30 worth of auto's and that's ONLY if they can find someone to purchase those 6 auto's. For $180/box, you HAVE to get SOMETHING. And if an UD logo was slapped on it, it would be just as bad. You can go on and on about how you can't get auto's of some of those players, but you know what? I will personally give you $1,000 if you can find 100 people who are willing to pay $30 an auto for ANY of the autographs pulled from that box. Seriously. Are there 100 on this planet willing to pay $30 for a Kevin Weeks auto? No. 100 people willing to pay $30 for a Kjell Samuellson auto? No. And it continues for another 4 auto's. I said it as soon as I saw the checklist, "Depending on price point, this could be the set of the year". At $180/box this is the biggest bust of the year (Maybe even the past 10 years) and I don't feel sorry for a single person who pays that. Why? Because there is no excuse. Everyone now knows what you'll get with this garbage product.

From the SP's and SSP's it seems as though the hits are 1-2 per case, which is TERRIBLE. This is a product that even at $90/box is a rip-off. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Personnally, I want a Kirk Muller autograph for my PC and I'll be done.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (5)
    Country
    See razzamaztaz's Items on eBay

Let's not exaggerate, no way is it a bigger bust than SPGU this year, which roughly cost the same, had the same horrible payback, but was ten, no HUNDRED times uglier. It's do darn ugly I don't even want to wipe my butt with it. AT LEAST these classic signatures cards are really nice design wise, with hard-on autos, and a great look. There are not one way but two ways a product can fail: 1) Valuewise 2) Quality/look wise. So far I can only see Classic signatures failing valuewise, and it fails miserable, they should be very ashamed of the pricetag. But it doesn't failt on nr 2, plus I know there will be plenty of happy set collectors. Thus it's ridiculous calling it bust of the decade or whatever. In my book the looks and quality always comes first. This year's SPGU, again, is the hands down most horrible product I've seen in years.

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

Dropped 40 dollars a box already here at my local LCS from 189 to 149.....Here 's another of those quality assurance breaks from another forum.....

Took a chance on a box of 2012-13 Panini Classics. No scans, for obvious reasons. This was a spirit crusher...

Pack 1: Scott Mellanby Auto
    Pack 2: Paul MacLean Auto
    Pack 3: Stephane Matteau Auto
    Pack 4: NO AUTO
    Pack 5: NO AUTO
    Pack 6: Scott Mellanby Auto (you can never have too many of these!)

Wow. Thought I would share this to all those who thought they had a bad day at the LCS...it could be worse; this could be your box. Support ticket with Panini to follow, cards coming soon to a 99 cent auction near you.
    Last edited by jonpop; 12-06-2012 at 09:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If you wanted to do the complete auto set, you could probably get 140-150 of the 200 autographed base for the price of buying 1 box.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See winterempire's Items on eBay

Wow I thought it was a guaranteed auto per pack? This is just garbage

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See ledeuxieme's Items on eBay

Wow I thought it was a guaranteed auto per pack? This is just garbage

yes, it's one auto per pack guaranteed... so the guy from the other forum should tell his situation to panini and have them fix it for him. it's a hassel, but he should be able to recover the missing hits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12