Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why are Peyton Manning Rookies losing value?

I just picked up the latest beckett and noticed Peyton Manning Sp Authentic 1998 was lowered to 600 from 800. I recently bought a bgs 9 of this card for 490. These were over 650 not too long ago. What gives? Denver is 9-3 and Peyton is in the MVP race.

There are new studs in the pasture and one of them is messing with Peyton's fillys.
    Steve Schindler

Collect what you want to collect. Collect players and cards that you like. Collect what you can afford. Collect for you, not to try to impress someone else. If you do this you will much more likely to enjoy the hobby and stay with it.

People always want what is shiny and new. They aren't logical and are very susceptible to hype. People now also seem to have very short attention spans and just jump from stuff without actually thinking it through first.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    People always want what is shiny and new. They aren't logical and are very susceptible to hype. People now also seem to have very short attention spans and just jump from stuff without actually thinking it through first.
    Totally agree. It's a consistent sheepish following for the next biggest thing all the while forgetting the legends of the game. I've had issue with this for way too long (rookie hype) and hope one day it will come to an end. Sometime. Eventually.

I collect Kordell Stewart, Earl Campbell, Deacon Jones, Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson and Steelers cards.
    Working on 1968 & 1969 Topps Football sets and 1980 Stop 'n' Go.
    Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC(124)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Peyton will bump up again if they win a super bowl, when he retires, and when he goes into the hall of fame. :) Basically its like these guys have said. Hes not the new guy on the block. Everyone knows how good he is. He has lost some, not all of his collector luster. He may get a permanent bump post retirement also.

After Beckett buys the amount of Peyton cards they want there will be an up arrow returning the price to what it once was.
    All my teams stink.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Thats hilarious and probably true spuds1961. I just was surprised at how low some of his cards were going considering how he has played and come on he is Peyton Manning. Do you think any of it could have to do with all the die hard Indy fans choosing to buy Luck because he is the future?

Easy. He left his main collecting fan base who is now collecting someone new. His current fan base likes him, but prefers him in Broncos uni. If Manning actually achieves something for the Bronco's fan base, they would be more likely to start buying his RC's, which feature him in Colt uni.
    Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (98 of which are auto'd)
    Hidden Content
    Marino Most Wanted:
    1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite

Do you think most of his old fan base is collecting Andrew Luck? He throws a ton of picks but, is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
    Easy. He left his main collecting fan base who is now collecting someone new. His current fan base likes him, but prefers him in Broncos uni. If Manning actually achieves something for the Bronco's fan base, they would be more likely to start buying his RC's, which feature him in Colt uni.
    Nailed it.
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast