Results 1 to 10 of 11
12-06-2012, 04:40 PM #1
Washington State officially legalizes marijuana
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM #2
it still ain't legal
12-06-2012, 05:17 PM #3
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM #4
Legal per state law but not federal law. The state is pretty much telling the feds if you have a problem with it then come in and handle it yourselves. I wonder if the fed gov't who cant even make coffee will start doing federal stings to arrest marijuana users/dealers in Washington State.
12-06-2012, 05:43 PM #5
12-06-2012, 05:48 PM #6
12-06-2012, 06:10 PM #7
Which is why state legalization will eventually force the feds to give up on marijuana and let the states make their own laws regarding it, which is how I thought the US was supposed to work in the first place. The only federal law regarding marijuana should be regarding sales (tax, regulation, etc) or transport over federal border.
It will take more than Washington and Colorado to do this, but they've voted to take the lead in the process. That's something that seems to be lost in today's politics. Allowing time for the process. Many pro legalizers want it done today and believe it will immediately take money away from gangs and etc, etc. It won't, but that will happen over time. Those against it want to see Washington prosper and deal with everything right away and be successful on the first try before they'll change their minds. That's wrong too. What needs to happen with this is open mindedness and a realization that all the problems won't be fixed right away and there will be bugs in the system to begin with. Now that they've officially legalized in WA though, watch them and see what happens. If they fail ask if it was the marijuana or the system they chose that brought it down. Medicinal marijuana is not working properly in Canada because the system is stupid, but the theories behind it are sound and, I believe, a new approach is needed. At the same time the system is working as designed and legalizing prescription marijuana hasn't caused any problems, even with the system being abused as it is.
You all know me. I think WA and CO took the right step. I don't think marijuana should be illegal unless possessed by a minor. I think the medicinal marijuana movement is a veiled "outright legalization" movement, though I do believe in marijuana's pain killing ability and other medicinal properties as well. Studies have shown that 95% of the average pot smokers crime wouldn't be a crime if marijuana were legal. The other 5% is basic stuff you would find in the background of any group of people.
I will still not go into WA to smoke pot. I don't want to end up in American federal prison. What I will do is watch very closely. WA doing this has a huge impact on my Province and, quite frankly, I thought Canada or BC and would do this first, but the US overall has taken huge steps we just haven't and have taken the lead in this area.
12-06-2012, 06:39 PM #8
Basically the feds are going to turn the other way unless prompted to do something by the State. It's a bunch of wasted money to go after people in a state where it's legal.
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM #9
I heard of something in Texas where they were trying to prosecute federal agents for doing things inside of the state of texas. I'm not sure of all the legalities but someone with a legal backround could give more insite but what about the state of Washington pretty much passing a law saying that it is illegal for police agency weather federal, state, or local cannot partipate in a sting operation w/o prior knowledge of local officials. Pretty much telling the feds off and telling them if the violate local laws harrassing marijuana laws they will be subject to arrest and prosecution.
12-07-2012, 12:42 PM #10
i think state and federal laws should be aligned.