Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Atlanta Falcons Detroit Tigers
    See pistonsnut3's Items on eBay

I think your missing the point... these are the Bentleys... cards are not just what a company slaps onto them to make them valuable... there needs to be a desire, a want to collect it. I have a Marino insert card /100 that sell for 3x some of my Marino autograph cards, because more people want it and more people are willing to pay money for that card.

Honestly I think the point is people are in such withdrawal from real cards, they are buying anything that is shiny. UD and Topps and such being gone, Panini can literally put anything out and it is going to be a hit b/c it is all there is. They may be Bentleys, but they are only being matched up against themselves... put them next to a Lambo and it would be a whole other story. Anything is the best if its the only one available. Im my moms best son, but then again Im her only son... haha. I would make a bet right now if UD was still making cards, that same set of cards would be going for more what you might imagine, hardly anything. Highend is junk compaired to what it used to be. If those are considered highend and hard hits, and the highlight of a box, Ill definitely stay away. Panini is J U N K , I have said that from day one when they were starting out as the only ones with the NBA licence. Its pretty sad when you have to count on an insert to save a box. The boxes must be way over priced and full of junk. Common sence to me says they aren't worth the money. People are only buying into them b/c they have to. Put some real meat in front of em and let em eat a real meal, and Panini would be out cold. not really trying for the pun, but it worked out great.
    Last edited by threebearfan; 12-09-2012 at 10:55 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Honestly I think the point is people are in such withdrawal from real cards, they are buying anything that is shiny. UD and Topps and such being gone, Panini can literally put anything out and it is going to be a hit b/c it is all there is. They may be Bentleys, but they are only being matched up against themselves... put them next to a Lambo and it would be a whole other story. Anything is the best if its the only one available. Im my moms best son, but then again Im her only son... haha. I would make a bet right now if UD was still making cards, that same set of cards would be going for more what you might imagine, hardly anything. Highend is junk compaired to what it used to be. If those are considered highend and hard hits, and the highlight of a box, Ill definitely stay away. Panini is J U N K , I have said that from day one when they were starting out as the only ones with the NBA licence. Its pretty sad when you have to count on an insert to save a box. The boxes must be way over priced and full of junk. Common sence to me says they aren't worth the money. People are only buying into them b/c they have to. Put some real meat in front of em and let em eat a real meal, and Panini would be out cold. not really trying for the pun, but it worked out great.

Spoken like someone who's never busted UD products.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See teambrinkz's Items on eBay

card popularity/set determins the value..... not the look/style. I might have sold it to you cheaper if you would have counter offered instead of crying about it for 3 pages...... get a grip bro.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

Spoken like someone who's never busted UD products.

If Finest, bowman chrome, or topps chrome would've had cards /10, they would have went for the same price as the prizm /10. It's as simple as if you want the card, ur going to pay for it, if you don't like the product, don't buy it. You make good points about Panini and if it had competition, however that it IF, and such there is none, we have to live with what we have (we don't have to like it).

SCF Rewards
    Country

card popularity/set determins the value..... not the look/style. I might have sold it to you cheaper if you would have counter offered instead of crying about it for 3 pages...... get a grip bro.

for whats its worth I never meant to come off as a dink, and I hate hogging up someones post, so to you Im sorry for all that. haha, still shaking off some dust from being gone for the past few months, I guess I got a little excited.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

A gold is a gold, Kobe has been going for $1000-1400, a Damian Lillard just went for $2k. They are tough to hit

300 card set x 10 copies = 3000 total golds.

Not actually super rare.

At least you hit a "base" gold; the subsets sell for diddly.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

If Finest, bowman chrome, or topps chrome would've had cards /10, they would have went for the same price as the prizm /10. It's as simple as if you want the card, ur going to pay for it, if you don't like the product, don't buy it. You make good points about Panini and if it had competition, however that it IF, and such there is none, we have to live with what we have (we don't have to like it).

I agree.

Simply put, these are actually nice cards. That's why they're selling.

SCF Rewards
    Country

there have been /10 cards for years, maybe not in those specific sets, but low numbered cards have been around awhile now. so Im not 100% sure it would have been the same way or not. To each their own for sure, and if you have the grand to toss out for a Kobe and you find one, all the power to you I guess. I just don't like the direction the hobby is going with this. eventually its going to hurt in ways we will only be able to fix over long periods of time. I have been collecting cards since I was 5, so for the past 20 years I have been buying cards and trading cards. From recess to card shows. As a hobby buying 2 for a dollar packs with my allowance each week in hopes of getting some shiny card of my favorite player before my friends got it. to me that was the fun of it... now its literally make bank or lose your butt. it is a corporation for some and a business is the only way to describe it... a hobby it what its lacking today and its hard to spend a Saturday with a couple friends watching Spiderman trading for Grant Hill cards b/c the love is gone for the hobby or at least on its death bed on life support.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

The issue I have with the prices (and again, sorry to hijack the thread but since this is a good conversation) is that really, the difference between a /10 and a /100 (or whatever the next level up is) is the ink that Panini uses to print the card.

Adding an autograph or a piece of jersey - something that is INDEED rare - is one thing. But to pay those high-dollar prices for a card that, in every sense, is exactly like the next level down except for the ink color? I don't get it. I understand the free market and supply and demand, but holy cow.

Like threebearfan said, the hobby has changed so much. It sucks that my six-year-old can't walk into a hobby shop and pick from any number of boxes...with his limited budget, he can afford base Topps baseball or football, or Hoops basketball. Five bucks gets him two packs of cards. In my youth, $5 probably would have gotten 7 or 8 packs of cards. I remember when Upper Deck came out in '89 when I was 12, and I think they charged a buck, maybe $1.50 for a pack, and THAT was expensive back then.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The issue I have with the prices (and again, sorry to hijack the thread but since this is a good conversation) is that really, the difference between a /10 and a /100 (or whatever the next level up is) is the ink that Panini uses to print the card.

Adding an autograph or a piece of jersey - something that is INDEED rare - is one thing. But to pay those high-dollar prices for a card that, in every sense, is exactly like the next level down except for the ink color? I don't get it. I understand the free market and supply and demand, but holy cow.

Like threebearfan said, the hobby has changed so much. It sucks that my six-year-old can't walk into a hobby shop and pick from any number of boxes...with his limited budget, he can afford base Topps baseball or football, or Hoops basketball. Five bucks gets him two packs of cards. In my youth, $5 probably would have gotten 7 or 8 packs of cards. I remember when Upper Deck came out in '89 when I was 12, and I think they charged a buck, maybe $1.50 for a pack, and THAT was expensive back then.

I am confused how you don't want value to be added by parallel cards, only seeing value in GU'd and Auto's, yet also want lower pack prices. Also, minimum wage was different in your youth, as an hour wage could get 7-8 packs of basic cards. Today, your child could get 7-8 packs of Score Football with minimum wage. the option is still there, but your child wishes to spend it on something more expensive (based on your wording.) Not everything in the world needs to be created for all budgets. That makes more valuable items less valuable. This product is priced VERY fair based on the fact, in 1995, Topps Finest would have cost the same as this product does, only this one includes autograph cards as well.

I think the card collector is almost dead. The modern card collector is becoming a memorabilia collector on a budget.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast