Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm not sure that's something you can quantify.

I'm just looking for everyone's individual estimate and some sort of official estimate. I'm not expecting perfection at all.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

Here is something:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Pub...icsSummary.pdf

These are just stated statistics published by the USDA. No supporting documentation is attached.

20% of food stamp households have zero gross income, i.e., they don't work. I'd say 5-8% of these are elderly. It also says 45% of recipients are working age. There are other stats you can cherry pick out of here. I guess they're reliable, but I'd be interested in seeing the supporting data.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Well, that doesn't really answer the question, though I get it if you can't find anything to answer it (and I am only looking for ballparks here, so I'm not hugely worried about supporting data, etc). I'm wondering how many people of those who are in these programs are abusing them. That link gives us the number of working age people there are, but how many of those fall under "disabled" as well or legitimately can't find a job. Those are the kinds of people who do need these programs and tend to use them as such. I'm wondering how many of the "$3000 rims and eating on food stamps" people actually think there are and then compare that to some sort of semi-official study that likely exists somewhere.

By the way, $3000 rims and eating on food stamps screams drug dealer. That's another one I'm interested in. How many of these people do make enough to live easily (example, dealing cocaine) but because they do so illegally, can't live off that money so they go with food stamps?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Not taking either side at the moment, just wondering what percentage of those on food stamps etc you think you just described. Also, if anyone has some hard data finding an official estimate of that percentage, that would be great to.

Well Wick I lived in NY city til I was 21 then moved to PA.i can tell you I have 3 friends and a family memeber that work for the welfare fraud department of NY.And I can tell you they exposed over 3000 cases just in the last 6 months.It is public record look it up.Now that might not sound like alot in a big city but like i said that was in a 6 month span

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I just spent too much time copy/pasting dictionary definitions to look anything up right now.

Also, while I wasn't looking for perfection, I don't think one state makes a national average. That is sort of what I was looking for, thanks, but we're also talking (actually mostly) about those who don't get caught.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

Well, that doesn't really answer the question, though I get it if you can't find anything to answer it (and I am only looking for ballparks here, so I'm not hugely worried about supporting data, etc). I'm wondering how many people of those who are in these programs are abusing them. That link gives us the number of working age people there are, but how many of those fall under "disabled" as well or legitimately can't find a job. Those are the kinds of people who do need these programs and tend to use them as such. I'm wondering how many of the "$3000 rims and eating on food stamps" people actually think there are and then compare that to some sort of semi-official study that likely exists somewhere.

By the way, $3000 rims and eating on food stamps screams drug dealer. That's another one I'm interested in. How many of these people do make enough to live easily (example, dealing cocaine) but because they do so illegally, can't live off that money so they go with food stamps?

I would not be surprised if there is 30+% abuse of the system. That is just my baseless, wild-™™™ guess. Also, there is MAJOR abuse of the disability system. Disability rolls have increased by ungodly numbers since Obama was elected. We have the safest working conditions that we've ever had, but the rolls are growing at their rapidest rate ever. I think they have intentionally relaxed the standards so that more people can qualify.
    Last edited by AUTaxMan; 12-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

The issue is that you only know the number of people who have been caught, not those who are doing it or were doing it. It comes in so many forms and is done county to county so it is even harder to track any stats.
    The fact that there are more and more anti fraud measures in place and taking place, it must somewhat reflect the increase in the discovery of fraud.
    you have people selling their food stamps in return for cash, people lying about how many dependents they have, drug dealers, people faking disability, people on UEC that are not really trying to find a job, welfare workers being caught for fraud themselves, people have no issue having a kid because welfare will pay for it, people working under the table, then you get into medicare/medicaide fraud, SS fraud, fraud does costs us a lot, but how do you weed it out without making anyone feel offended?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

The issue is that you only know the number of people who have been caught, not those who are doing it or were doing it. It comes in so many forms and is done county to county so it is even harder to track any stats.
    The fact that there are more and more anti fraud measures in place and taking place, it must somewhat reflect the increase in the discovery of fraud.
    you have people selling their food stamps in return for cash, people lying about how many dependents they have, drug dealers, people faking disability, people on UEC that are not really trying to find a job, welfare workers being caught for fraud themselves, people have no issue having a kid because welfare will pay for it, people working under the table, then you get into medicare/medicaide fraud, SS fraud, fraud does costs us a lot, but how do you weed it out without making anyone feel offended?

And why would we be worried about offending anyone?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234