Poll: Who wins 2012 MVP?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    it's most valuable, not the best player is my only argument and a QB will always be more valuable to a team than any other position.
    Banner For BucketHidden Content
    Looking For: Gronkowski, Brady, 2011 Certified

I would hope that Manning wins it, no one was sure he was going to ever play again. AP came back months ahead of schedule, and is looking like the old AP. Brady is just destroying any defense that is in his way without Gronkowski out there. Stats don't lie, and rookies don't win MVP's, but QB's win over RB's, so I can see Manning winning it.
    Hidden Content
    **Hidden Content **
    Bucket Updated 10/2/14

Everyone has made some valid points. I decided to go looks at the list of MVPs and see if there are any trends. I just looked at the MVPs from 1990 to now since I think we all can agree that rule changes have made the game much different in the last 20 years or so and changed the stats that offensive players can achieve. I found some of this interesting.

One thing I hadn't considered is a co-MVP. It happened in 1997 with Favre and Barry Sanders, it happened in 2003 with McNair and Peyton. Considering what everyone has said, I think we may end up with a co-MVP situation in 2012 with any two of Peyton, Brady and AP being named.

Of the 24 players to win MVP since 1990...

- A QB has been named MVP 17 times (70% of the time).
    - A RB has been named MVP 7 times.
    - Of the 7 RBs to be named MVP, two were 2000 yard rushers (Barry Sanders '97, Terrell Davis '98) although 4 RBs rushed for 2000 yards during the 1990-2012 period. Jamal Lewis did it in 2003, but he only scored 14 TDs and was on a Ravens team that wasn't very good and wasn't much of a Super Bowl contender which hurt him. Chris Johnson did it in 2009, again only scoring 14 TDs and again on a pretty mediocre 8-8 team which most likely hurt him in the voting.
    - Of the 5 non-2000 yard rushers to be named MVP, they all had accomplished some other significant feat. In 2005 Shaun Alexander set the single-season rushing TD record at 27, in 2006 Ladainian Tomlinson broke Alexanders 1 year old record with 28 TDs, in 1993 Emmitt Smith led the NFL in rushing for the 3rd consecutive season, in 1991 Thurman Thomas led the league in yards from scrimmage for the 3rd consecutive year, and in 2000 Marshall Faulk led the league in TDs scored (26) while having his 3rd consecutive season of 1400+ yards rushing and 80+ receptions.

So in essence, based on historical patterns, unless a RB has a monumental season or is in the midst of a series of several consecutive years of being the most dominant RB in the league, the MVP award will most definitely go to a QB.
    Last edited by duane1969; 12-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Its obviously Manning, but there are so many factors that have nothing to do with the reality of the situation. Things like "Manning has too many already" or "The broncos made the playoffs without him last year" even though it is clearly a completely different team. I think it is between Peterson and manning. Brady should be out. We have seen what happens when Brady sits out a year and when Manning sits out a year. Patriots dont skip a beat. Colts couldnt compete in the Sun Belt college conference. Thats what the MVP is about. Value to the team. Brady is great, but Manning is the team. He is what makes it go. Peterson should clearly win comeback player because what he is doing is amazing, but it hasnt resulted in enough wins or value to his team. Its manning, but who knows who will actually win it.
    Here is a Link to my Photobucket PC and trade stuff. Hidden Content

Here is the link to my set Needs List.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rybowski View Post
    I would hope that Manning wins it, no one was sure he was going to ever play again. AP came back months ahead of schedule, and is looking like the old AP. Brady is just destroying any defense that is in his way without Gronkowski out there. Stats don't lie, and rookies don't win MVP's, but QB's win over RB's, so I can see Manning winning it.
    a lot of people are bringing up manning and ap came back from this and that. i just don't see where that has any bearing on who is the mvp other than playing to human sympathy with the voting. my argument is that brady has 1 less td, and 6 less ints and both teams are equally dominant. so everyone is telling me that manning is more valuable than brady just because he came back from 4 neck surgeries? brady also doesn't have games where he throws 4-5 int's. and a qb will 99.9% always be more valuable than a rb. answered by a simple question, if you had to start a franchise from scratch are you taking a hof qb with your 1st pick or are you taking a hof rb with your 1st pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Titantron View Post
    Its obviously Manning, but there are so many factors that have nothing to do with the reality of the situation. Things like "Manning has too many already" or "The broncos made the playoffs without him last year" even though it is clearly a completely different team. I think it is between Peterson and manning. Brady should be out. We have seen what happens when Brady sits out a year and when Manning sits out a year. Patriots dont skip a beat. Colts couldnt compete in the Sun Belt college conference. Thats what the MVP is about. Value to the team. Brady is great, but Manning is the team. He is what makes it go. Peterson should clearly win comeback player because what he is doing is amazing, but it hasnt resulted in enough wins or value to his team. Its manning, but who knows who will actually win it.
    you should go back to that 08 year and see how the pats really did. they beat a bunch of cream puffs with the easiest schedule on earth, lost to every good team and didn't make the playoffs in a horrible division with an all-star cast that went 18-1 the previous year. that argument of the pats didn't skip a beat without brady is a bit misleading. the pats could have put painter in that year and still had 11 wins. that schedule was a joke.

Just my .02, but the knock on Brady for me is the fact that he rarely throws a pass more than 10 yards down field. Over the last 6 seasons no WR has more catches than Welker, but he gets no credit for it because of the type of offense he is in. The same disclaimer should apply to the QB that is throwing all of those short dump-off passes.

Everyone bashes on Wes Welker because even though he has 100+ catches every year he only averages 10 or 11 yards per catch...well, he catches what Brady throws. If Welker catching 120 passes isn't a big deal because he only averages 10 yards per catch then Brady shouldn't be called a great QB for throwing for 5000 yards because he threw 500 10 yard passes either.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

i like how everyone discredits brady because the pats did well without him but those same people don't discredit manning when the broncos did well with tebow.
    bucket:Hidden Content

Wants: Anything mma as well as nice texans patches

Quote Originally Posted by BradyToMoss View Post
    you should go back to that 08 year and see how the pats really did. they beat a bunch of cream puffs with the easiest schedule on earth, lost to every good team and didn't make the playoffs in a horrible division with an all-star cast that went 18-1 the previous year. that argument of the pats didn't skip a beat without brady is a bit misleading. the pats could have put painter in that year and still had 11 wins. that schedule was a joke.
    I agree with what is said above about that season. Also the Colts don't have Manning this year and are doing pretty good IMO. To me it shows the difference in what kind of QB you have stepping in. While Luck is no Peyton yet, Painter and others should of never seen a NFL field in a regular season game. I think the MVP will be a QB, but I want AP to win it. Sure his team isn't great and will probably miss the playoffs. Where would they be without him though?
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to all that I've dealt with!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast