Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Shelving units for card box storage

Just wondering what everyone out there uses for storing card boxes to keep them easily accessible. I have mine all just stacked in a corner which is fine except for those on the bottom of the stack.

I'm planning on moving everything I have into 5000-count boxes and building a shelving unit to hold them all. However, I figured I'd check and see first if there are any commercially available units that work well for this.

If not, then I need some help from any members who know this stuff better than I do (which is to say anyone who knows anything about it since I'm clueless).

I have approximately 120,000 cards, so that would be 24 of those 5000-count boxes. Each box measures 19"D x 16.5"W x 4"H, and weighs approximately 25 lbs. I plan to put two boxes per shelf. Thus, I am planning on 12 shelves that are 20" deep and 34" wide, with 4.5" height so I have a little space to work with. Each shelf would have to support approximately 50 lbs. The entire unit would be about 6 feet high, give or take a few inches depending on the requisite thickness of each shelf.

So, oh great gurus of carpentry, or at least people who know more than I do about it, is 7/16" oriented strand board good enough for this? If not, what about 1/2" fiberboard? Or, am I going to have to suck it up, wait a while as I save up some money, and just go for some sort of plywood?

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See brennerjeff's Items on eBay

one thing to think about it is the amount of stress your shelving unit will put on your floor (unless its in a basement) 50lbx12 shelves plus the weight of the wood over a relatively small area

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

I'm not too concerned about that. I've had all the boxes stacked in one area for several months with no problems to the floor.

I'm looking at buying a shelving unit in a few months instead. There's a pretty decent adjustable steel one at Lowe's that's the perfect size. I'd just need to repaint it and it should be fine.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The metal "wire rack" units are great.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New York Yankees New York Rangers

The metal "wire rack" units are great.

+1 They work great for me too.......I have had them on these for a few years and they are durable and easy to get at.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    BO(38)
    Country
    See atcxchange's Items on eBay

Agree with the use of Metro wire shelves. The originals are really expensive but knockoffs can be had at Costco