Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 36 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Gun Control?

With the Shooting in Newton, CT, is now the time to open a consecration on Gun Control?

Please respect the thoughts of other during this thread.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Geraldo recently said something that got me thinking, can't remember the exact quote, but it was something to this effect.
    We need to protect our children like they are gold, if that school was filled with gold there would have been armed guards, what we value the most we guard with weapons except for children.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I don't think the topic of gun control ever needs to be off limits. I do think people, especially at the national level, need to have actual ideas instead of just saying blanket statements like "we need better gun control." Taking this situation, the guns were all registered to the shooters mother. Before people say gun control could have stopped this, I want to hear someone tell me what measure could have been taken that would have actually stopped this.

Secondly, I would have no issue with schools having guards. My high school had three armed police officers at all times. Not security guards but full city police.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

A good mental health system would probably have stopped this issue. I give it an 80% chance that this guy had mental health issues and one of 2 things happened.
    He didn't go to the doctor or didn't listen to his doctor.

Although most mentally ill people do not do violent crimes , they are the ones the crimes are committed against.

Of course, the polticians will turn this into a gun control issue instead of what is really broken, our mental health system.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Both are broken. Sure people will always find guns, but think about this:
    If people will always obtain guns then why, in developed countries with gun control, are mass shootings rare, yet in the US they're almost a monthly occurance? I don't want to step on any part of your constitution, and I don't know the solution. What I do want to do is see far less of these mass killings. What I do know is whatever your doing is failing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A good mental health system would probably have stopped this issue. I give it an 80% chance that this guy had mental health issues and one of 2 things happened.
    He didn't go to the doctor or didn't listen to his doctor.

Although most mentally ill people do not do violent crimes , they are the ones the crimes are committed against.

Of course, the polticians will turn this into a gun control issue instead of what is really broken, our mental health system.

+1, guns have been around for hundreds or years, this type of mass homicides seem to be pretty recent.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I realize the 2nd and all that, but why does everyone assume "gun control" means "take all guns away"?
    Why are you people so hellbent on ignoring an entire side of the issue and finding other things to blame?
    Are you more attached to your guns than your children?
    Do you not think all sides should be genuinely considered to stop this problem?
    What's wrong with looking at other countries that don't have anywhere near the problem you do and seeing why we're all safer in our schools and theatres than you are?
    Until you let go of the idea that gun control is the end of the world (or that a gun is the only way to protect yourself) more and more children will die needlessly. Yes, things like this do happen from time to time even here in Canada. The difference? We're shocked when it happens up here. When it happens in the US, everyone is sad, no one is shocked.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

I do not have a gun. I do think we should talk about the whole issue. We have felony checks for gun owners. I think we should have mental health checks, also. Like providing a note that you are under the care of doctor and proof that people are aking their medicine before they can get a gun.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I do not have a gun. I do think we should talk about the whole issue. We have felony checks for gun owners. I think we should have mental health checks, also. Like providing a note that you are under the care of doctor and proof that people are aking their medicine before they can get a gun.

You don't have mental health checks??? Woah.
    Also, does someone taking their meds at the time they buy the gun guarantee they won't stop and (potentially) go nuts (for lack of a better term) and shoot a bunch of people?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I realize the 2nd and all that, but why does everyone assume "gun control" means "take all guns away"?
    Why are you people so hellbent on ignoring an entire side of the issue and finding other things to blame?
    Are you more attached to your guns than your children?
    Do you not think all sides should be genuinely considered to stop this problem?
    What's wrong with looking at other countries that don't have anywhere near the problem you do and seeing why we're all safer in our schools and theatres than you are?
    Until you let go of the idea that gun control is the end of the world (or that a gun is the only way to protect yourself) more and more children will die needlessly. Yes, things like this do happen from time to time even here in Canada. The difference? We're shocked when it happens up here. When it happens in the US, everyone is sad, no one is shocked.

but again, all that sounds great. But what steps need to be taken? what could actually have been done, on a gun control perspective, that could have helped avoid this?

Page 1 of 36 123411 ... LastLast