Post First look: 2013 Topps Archives baseball cards

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/12/...aseball-cards/

The company offered the first looks and basic information about its 2013 Topps Archives baseball card set on Friday, and the second consecutive release for the retro-styled product will arrive on May 29.

The brand is one that includes today’s players on past designs from Topps’ 60-plus year history in the baseball card market along with autographs of fan favorites from the recent past — also featuring photography and designs from past decades.

And for 2013? Some of the designs will be from past Topps releases in other sports, too.

Each 24-pack hobby box will include two autographs inside along with a selection of inserts and base cards all featuring nods to the past. The Fan Favorites autographs will be reproductions of past base card designs, while a triple autograph design will modify the 1987 Topps look, and the Relic set will feature the 1960 design.

The base set appears to be comprised of designs from 1972, 1982, 1990 and 1985 (50 cards per design), while short-printed cards will use designs from all years and be found one in every four packs. Each standard card will also have printing plates only found in hobby packs, while Archives Gold cards will be back but serial-numbered to 199.

Also to be found, just like 2012, will be Topps Originals autographs — buybacks signed and serial-numbered to 10 copies — while framed autographs will turn back the clock to 1973 and a small selection of cut autographs also will be found.

New for 2013 will be 1965 Topps mini tallboy autographs — a nod to the football design from that year — while there will be unsigned versions of those cards as well. The autographs will be limited to 25 or fewer copies.

According to the preliminary checklist, some of the signers for this one will include Dave Parker, Mookie Wilson, Ellis Burks, Eric Davis, Denny McLain, Howard Johnson, Kent Hrbek and Matt Williams to name a few. The 1973 autographs will showcase some bigger names with David Wright, R.A. Dickey, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Bob Gibson and Will Middlebrooks among them.

Players slated to appear on 1983 All-Stars autographs will include Cal Ripken Jr., Johnny Bench, Tony Gwynn, George Brett and Gary Carter, while the Tall Boys set will tentatively include Davis, Williams, Wright, David Freese and Mike Schmidt among others.

Among the players slated to appear on Relics will be Bryce Harper, Bench, Ken Griffey Sr., Gary Sheffield, Justin Verlander, Evan Longoria and Prince Fielder.

Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Cool I am looking forward to this again.

1990? Really? No thanks! Once was enough!

Too bad, I really enjoyed Archives this year...
    Check out my Hidden Content

love the 72 and 83 designs, 1990 not so much. i'll be grabbing a box of this.

I was a huge fan of this set this year but it looks like I'll pass next year. I'm really disappointed, this was such a great set.
    1911 T205 Gold Border Chicago Cubs: 47.36% (9/19)
    Ron Santo: 6.65% (51/767)
    I am always willing to negotiate
    Follow me on Twitter @Hidden Content

ewww 1990
    Hidden Content
    have 4036 different cardinals cards
    Also looking for cheap base of
    Sale, F.Freeman, Moustakas, Kimbrel, Kershaw, Rizzo, Trumbo

They can't all be winners....

I'll take all of your 90s then! Just joking but seriously.
    1. Collecting Chipper Jones' 1999 MVP Season
    2. 1978 Topps #45 Mark Fidrych, 1965 Topps #19 Gates Brown, 1969 Topps #472 Jim Price, 2003 Topps Gallery HOF #22 Ernie Harwell BB
    3. All RCs of Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Steve Avery
    4. Topps 1990 set

I like the 1990 set as well. Not a fan of 85 though, very boring.