Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

SCF Rewards
    Country

Jim "The Net Detective" Carey and Blaine "The Blocker" Lacher are two great examples of hype cranking up the price of cards. I remember how they were both pretty much neck and neck for, "Who will be the greatest goalie of the future?" I'm truly fascinated by their stories of how they fell into oblivion.

To make a long story short, Jim Carey was apparently always one of the best at every level of hockey through his life and career and very rarely lost. When he encountered the pressure of the play-offs, it got to him and he didn't do so well. Since he had never truly faced adversity before, he didn't know how to bounce back. Eventually his lack of mental skills in how to come back from failure destroyed his confidence and career.

Blaine Lacher is a slightly different story. After his incredible run in the NHL lockout shortened 1994-95 season, Blaine went back to his home town of Medicine Hat, Alta. with what he perceived to be a fat contract. I was in "The Hat" right before the '95-96 season due to business and I ended up chatting with boys at the local watering hole. The subject of hockey came up, one of the guys asked if I collected hockey cards, I said, "Ya. You?" To which he laughingly responded, "Naw. But if you have any Blaine Lacher cards, you should sell 'em all". I asked him, "Why?" and he replied, "Well, I don't know if you know, but he's from here [I didn't know that] and he just spent every single day of the summer drinking and ****ing everything he saw". Now, at the time I just sloughed this off as some jealous "buddy" beaking off, but as the '95-'96 season went on I started to realise that maybe that drunk dude knew more than I gave him credit for.

Blaine's fall from grace was so fast though, that I remember not even having enough time to think about selling his stuff off. Before I knew it, he was down in the minors and forgotten about forever. That year Jim Carey won the Vezina, stunk it up in the play-offs and in a bizarre twist was eventually traded to the Bruins in 1997. Oh, Boston - you and your goalies :-)
    Last edited by Fatty McGee; 12-18-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spellings

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bobbybruins's Items on eBay

Yes, the Bruins and there goalies. Had Bill Ranford but wait, trade him for Andy Moog. Wait, we made a mistake, let's get Ranford past his prime back.

Another fine one Hannu Toivonen.

Jim "The Net Detective" Carey and Blaine "The Blocker" Lacher are two great examples of hype cranking up the price of cards. I remember how they were both pretty much neck and neck for, "Who will be the greatest goalie of the future?" I'm truly fascinated by their stories of how they fell into oblivion.

To make a long story short, Jim Carey was apparently always one of the best at every level of hockey through his life and career and very rarely lost. When he encountered the pressure of the play-offs, it got to him and he didn't do so well. Since he had never truly faced adversity before, he didn't know how to bounce back. Eventually his lack of mental skills in how to come back from failure destroyed his confidence and career.

Blaine Lacher is a slightly different story. After his incredible run in the NHL lockout shortened 1994-95 season, Blaine went back to his home town of Medicine Hat, Alta. with what he perceived to be a fat contract. I was in "The Hat" right before the '95-96 season due to business and I ended up chatting with boys at the local watering hole. The subject of hockey came up, one of the guys asked if I collected hockey cards, I said, "Ya. You?" To which he laughingly responded, "Naw. But if you have any Blaine Lacher cards, you should sell 'em all". I asked him, "Why?" and he replied, "Well, I don't know if you know, but he's from here [I didn't know that] and he just spent every single day of the summer drinking and ****ing everything he saw". Now, at the time I just sloughed this off as some jealous "buddy" beaking off, but as the '95-'96 season went on I started to realise that maybe that drunk dude knew more than I gave him credit for.

Blaine's fall from grace was so fast though, that I remember not even having enough time to think about selling his stuff off. Before I knew it, he was down in the minors and forgotten about forever. That year Jim Carey won the Vezina, stunk it up in the play-offs and in a bizarre twist was eventually traded to the Bruins in 1997. Oh, Boston - you and your goalies :-)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for the story!

It's so obvious that the reason of Jim Carey's decline was his two very weak playoffs (just thanks of this that Olaf Kölzig became a NHL star, just imagine if Jim Carey actually was as good at playoffs as he was in regular seasons so maybe Olaf Kölzig never became anything other than a back-up goalie, he's a very loyal person so he would accepted that fate if ever had happened)

The story of Lacher is just plain sad to read, but there are SOOO many who couldn't handle the pressure to be a star (especially in a real hockey city like Boston) and of course all those $$$ especially when if he or she was growning up in a fairly poor family, to becom rich uickly can be devastating for some peoples.

I really liked both goalies when I was a kid in middle of 90's, I decided to start collecting both ones again for the behalf of my younger self who never would afford those cards when Carey was equally expensive as Brodeur or even at almost same level as Roy!

In european soccer there are so many examples, even with one-goal-wonders, one-match-wonders, two-three-matches-wonders or even one-dribble-wonders etc, it's just enough to scoring just one fab goal against a big team to receive ridiculously amounts of $$$ and mostly of those players was very poor before ended up as tragically figures and had short lives when they wouldn't be able to handle the limitless flow of cash, drugs, sex, cars abd of course the pressure...
    Sorry a bit OT....but it's amazing that so many who couldn't bouce back or regaining back their confidence when their only job is just to be a athlete and has plenty of time to building up the confidence....

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Jim Carey, Tim Cheveldae and Bob Essensa.

In their prime, combined, the 3 of them could not stop a beach ball.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Speaking of Bruins goalies, Essensa has been the Bruins goalie coach since 2003.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well... maybe during the play-offs. But remember, in his prime Jim Carey DID win the Vezina. They don't hand that out to just anyone.

BANNED

Country

Well... maybe during the play-offs. But remember, in his prime Jim Carey DID win the Vezina. They don't hand that out to just anyone.

"Sooner or later, the sun shines on every Dog's Arse"

BANNED

Country

Throw in Jon Casey while you're at it.

All this guy did was YELL! In rinks that were only half-full, he was louder than the home team fans he was playing against.

BANNED

Country

How sad is it then that I watched two of those guys as starting goalies for the Jets?

BANNED

Country

I lived in Wpg. for a total of 8 1/2 years (unfortunately) and was forced to watch Essensa play on a nightly basis. Good grief he was horrid.

I am a Red Wing Fan and and original Saskatchewan lad, so I saw Cheveldae play for the Blades and I didn't think he would be worth a damn in the "Bigs", and I didn't want the Red Wings to draft him. Jimmy Devellano could not be swayed, and the idiot got a 7 year Sunburn (from the goal light going on so often) between Detroit and Adirondack before they realized he was far king useless.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345