Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

BBC told to put more lesbian, gay & bisexual people on kids programming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...xualities.html

BBC children's programmes should include more lesbian, gay and bisexual people, a report of the corporation recommends.

A panel of nine experts said youngsters should be introduced to sexual diversity in their early years.

While there has been a gradual increased in the representation of these people, they remain 'still relatively invisible' in the media, they said.

The experts added that the BBC should be 'more creative and bolder in its depiction of such groups of people, taking care to steer clear of stereotypes.'

The report concluded: 'The LGB [lesbian, gay and bisexual] experts feel that the BBC should seek to incorporate the portrayal of LGB people within programming targeted at children, to familiarise audiences through incidental portrayal from an early age.'

Demonstrating positive experiences and outcomes will stop LGB children feeling isolated, it said, particularly in rural areas.

The report commissioned by the broadcaster, which drew on audience surveys and nine 'LGB experts', concluded that all genres of programming should regularly feature non-heterosexual people, with news and drama currently the biggest problem areas.

Of BBC News, the study claimed that too much time was given to 'homophobic' viewpoints.

'As a public service broadcaster and a standard bearer on moral issues, the BBC is asked to reconsider the way in which it is perceived to set up these debates with two extreme perspectives and to be more creative and nuanced in its presentation,' wrote Clare Luke of Solitaire Consulting, who produced the report.

For dramas and soaps, she recommended bolder storylines featuring gay characters, while documentaries were deemed to need more LGB presenters and portrayal of gay people in history.

As for comedy, the report concluded that the 'biggest risk' was LGB people being the focus of a joke.

This was judged as only truly acceptable when the comedians themselves were gay.

Other areas criticised in the report include entertainment and sport, where researchers also believe homosexuals are under-represented on the BBC.

In comedy, it is feared homosexuals could become the focus of cruel jokes. ‘However, if the author or source of the humour is LGB, this is felt to be more authentic or appropriate and so there is more acceptance,’ the report said. In entertainment, gay presenters can act as role models, it said, provided they are there ‘because of their talent as opposed to their sexual orientation’.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it's a great idea.

Homosexuality isn't the boogeyman that some people make it out to be.

It is NORMAL to be gay and if kids see that, they won't bully others for being gay when they grow up.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I think it sends the wrong message to purposely plant gays, lesbians etc onto kid's programming.

It doesn't matter if someone is straight or gay to me, but it seems like it would just confuse a child, and that shouldn't be the goal.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

how would the kids know?

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Hollywood since 1920 has been 25% Gay, it just wasn't revealed. The Entertainment Industry has huge gay input, always has, just making it public will not cause any harm. Kids need to grow up without prejudice.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

how would the kids know?

This is my question. I don't think gays and bis should be kept off children's TV, but I don't think they should be sought out for it either. It should be the best person for the job, quotas be damned.

I have to wonder what the point is. I don't think "it would be confusing for kids" is a valid argument against. Everything is confusing to kids. I just think this isn't an area children's TV needs to cover. And if you're going to cover it, can you not have gay characters without necessarily having gay actors? They are actors after all. Children's TV shouldn't have a sexual preference.

BANNED

Country

No TV has a sexual preference, which is the way if should be.

What Homophobes need to know, is that proper gay people that live and abide by all our laws, and that consistently pay their taxes, and do not commit crimes, are not cruising around grabbing straight drunk men's balls on the sly, or throwing themselves as lesbians at drunk straight women.

They behave with integrity, unlike Catholic Priests, that are flat-out pedos. Homophobic behaviour is purely myopic tunnel vision (double entendre on purpose). People that are born and raised Homophobes need to leave their own county for coffee, that or stop hanging with Hillbillies.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

No TV has a sexual preference, which is the way if should be.

What Homophobes need to know, is that proper gay people that live and abide by all our laws, and that consistently pay their taxes, and do not commit crimes, are not cruising around grabbing straight drunk men's balls on the sly, or throwing themselves as lesbians at drunk straight women.

They behave with integrity, unlike Catholic Priests, that are flat-out pedos. Homophobic behaviour is purely myopic tunnel vision (double entendre on purpose). People that are born and raised Homophobes need to leave their own county for coffee, that or stop hanging with Hillbillies.

I agree with all of that. What I'm saying is we don't need someone saying "I'd rather have sex with dudes" to our kids to teach tolerance, understanding and acceptance.

BANNED

Country

Sexual education, should contain all the Birds and Bees stuff, and should begin with examples from the Animal World. Kids will quickly enough be jolted and thrown into the sexual melting pot as soon as they start puberty, or slightly before.

We need to inform them that reproduction is different than personal sexual preference, and that I am told is still not being taught in schools on any level.

What gives Straight, Homophobic individuals the right to call their lifestyle a lifestyle base on "Traditional Values"

I know many gay people that live their lives based on real "Traditional Values" but have a different sexual preference.

Vive la difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast