Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 29 of 282 FirstFirst ... 19262728293031323979129 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I appreciate your thoughts regarding this, for sure a different perspective from mine. My reason is very clearly stated in my explanation, however I didn't create this thread looking for validation from other people.

Your comment raised some more thoughts about Ebay's DSR program, specifically the Shipping and Handling DSR. As a seller I should be allowed to charge whatever I like, and yes if that means doubling my money, well I will never apologize for making money. To penalize a seller for successfully completing a transaction on Ebay simply because the buyer was unhappy with their decision to purchase the card is ludicrous. When I am looking to purchase a card on Ebay, and the price, whether it be the actual price of the card or the actual price for shipping and handling, I feel is to high then I don't purchase, simple as that, I move on. So if I'm charging more then what the market feels is normal then they won't buy, that is what the penalty should be and would be, if I wanted to sell I would need to adjust my prices.

But to penalize us after completing fast successful transactions based on the purchasers own OPINIONS(ie what each individual feels to be fair shipping and handling), but they still leave me a shining positive feedback makes very little sense.

This makes me think about the "Nanny State" and if any of you know what I'm talking about then you will understand the reference. Ebay is like government, all the little peons need to be controlled and protected from themselves.

You can certainly charge whatever you like. But if you are making money on shipping then buyers have every right to be upset. As someone who does a ton of both buying and selling, I know the cost of supplies and shipping and all that stuff. If I pay $4 for a card to be shipped to me within my own country, I expect there to be a reason behind it. Knowing that you sell a lot, I'm imagining you buy your mailers in bulk. Considering what I pay, I'll give you a rough estimate of between 12 and 15 cents a mailer. Top loaders and soft sleeves are practically a dime a dozen so there's really only a tiny additional cost there. Shipping within Canada is less than $2, so in total, you're maybe spending two bucks. And yet you're charging me four.

So why am I paying you extra money? For fun?

When I buy, I do factor shipping into my final bid price. My decision to purchase the card is indeed based on the total price. But if I'm basically giving free handouts to someone just because they feel like overcharging me, I certainly will take issue with it. Personally I contact the seller and question why the shipping price was so high compared to the actual costs incurred, but other people don't always do that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Rick,

You were forced to buy?????? Who forces you to buy a rare card that you feel is overpriced or the selller is asking to much for shipping?

There appears to be a few peons that need protection.

I'm going to disagree with if you feel the price is too high than move on. I collect HOF game-used cards. When trying to complete the task of getting a game-used card for every HOF'er who has one many times you need to pay whatever you can get it. Some HOF'ers have very few game-used cards, many times 400 or fewer have been produced. Some of the cards you very rarely see up for bid so you need to grab it when you can or be forced to check eBay each and every day. I've made the mistake of only checking once a week believing it would be a seven day auction and many times a card was listed with a three day auction or a BIN. Many times I had to buy a card with a higher cost for shipping than I would have liked but I was forced to buy it since I did not want to check eBay every day to see if a card was listed.

You said yourself " I should be allowed to charge whatever I like, and yes if that means doubling my money, well I will never apologize for making money". With that said you are acknowledging that if you double your money on shipping all is well and good. As a buyer who does not sell I look at what the actual cost of shipping would be in determining how many stars a seller will get. If a seller is charging double what it actually cost to ship he/she will receive the appropriate star rating. I could care less about receiving brand new penny sleeves, team bags or top loaders. I've bought enough cards that I have top loaders coming out my bottom loader. As was stated if you recycle penny sleeves, team bags and top loaders you can save on cost. Every card I receive goes into a new penny sleeve. I don't know how long that card has been sitting in someone else's penny sleeve. I ask you this, why should someone who charges double of what it actually cost to ship receive the same rating as someone who charges something more in line with the actual cost or even offers free shipping? I know if I were a seller I would not be happy if someone gave me the same rating as someone who charged double the cost. JMO.

...Rick

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thefiorecollection's Items on eBay

posted in wrong spot. sorry.

either way I agree with the person who said to just make free shipping and add the cost to the total.

if you provide free shipping + 1 day handling + don't talk to the buyer, it actually grays out 3 of the DSRs and only leaves "item as described"

rest count towards free 5's
    Last edited by FioreSA; 03-23-2013 at 04:11 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rick,

You were forced to buy?????? Who forces you to buy a rare card that you feel is overpriced or the selller is asking to much for shipping?

There appears to be a few peons that need protection.

Possibly "forced" is not the correct word but I feel it is. For instance, this year a game-used card came out for Billy Southworth. There are a total of 17 game-used cards produced for him. Anyone who has a HOF game-used collection must pick the card up if they want a complete set of all HOF'ers who have game-used cards. If someone charges $10 for shipping and I want my set complete I must pay it. No one is holding a gun to my head but when you have put a lot of time and effort and money into building the set I feel I'm forced to dole out what the seller is asking for shipping.

You still did not answer my original question. Should someone who charges double what the actual cost of shipping is receive the same rating as someone who charges something more in line with the actual cost or someone who offers free shipping? You will never convince me that the rating should be the same. As a buyer I'm not one who needs my card shipped the very next day. I hope most people have lives outside of the hobby and if they can't make it to the post office the next day that's fine with me. I'm also fine with someone who only ships once a week. As long as my card is shipped within seven days I'm good to go. I pay immediately after the bidding ends.

...Rick

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

To quote ebay policy on shipping charges:

What you can charge

Actual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.
    Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any.

Related fees: Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees shouldn't be added

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

What you can charge

Actual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.
    Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any.

Related fees: Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees shouldn't be added

So, essentially, anyone trying to say you shouldn't take the toploader etc into consideration is totally wrong. Good molto know.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Yes very good to know, thank you for sharing.

What you can charge

BANNED

Country
    See hockey_99's Items on eBay

everyone wants free cards???

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

So, essentially, anyone trying to say you shouldn't take the toploader etc into consideration is totally wrong. Good molto know.

That's correct, shipping supplies/materials can be included.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

One thing to think about though, is that if I recall correctly, you deal mostly with early 2000 and prior cards, correct? Those are generally pretty thin cards, compared to GU and stuff like that. Because for someone like myself, sending multiple GU cards, or thicker patch cards greatly impacts the cost of shipping.

I've sent 40 plus G-U Cards and even some of those absurd thick ones. Not even a sniff of a problem. $1.50 to both Canada and Europe.

Page 29 of 282 FirstFirst ... 19262728293031323979129 ... LastLast