Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 43 of 282 FirstFirst ... 33404142434445465393143 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

Actually, it isn't the only way to make money. I've had a lot of success with BIN/BO auctions but I find the key is to price the card reasonably from the start to not scare away potential buyers. With BIN/BO it just takes one buyer willing to pay a decent price, auctions require at least two.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Does it involve moral priniciples? Once again it depends on what end of it you are on. The overall frame work of Ebay and it's bidding prinicpals to me are flawed.

Is it acceptable to be dishonest? That is really what shill bidding is. If you want to get a certain amount of money for an item, list it with a BIN price. Then there is the fact that Shill Bidding is a violation of eBay rules. Of course, you say that (to you) the Ebay bidding principles are flawed. You are using eBay's website, eBay's servers, eBay's programming, eBay's "storefront", and eBay's customers. Flawed or not, eBay sets the parameters for how their product/service is used. eBay is well within their rights to say, "follow our rules, or we will not let you use our service". On a more general note: What would our world look like if everyone got to apply the rules and laws as they saw fit? I believe the tax system is flawed. Does that mean I do not have to pay taxes?
    Last edited by Drewk86a; 05-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

subban7677. Let's responde this way to your comment. In no way am I saying that I will be doing the practice of Shill Bidding. I am saying that I have seen others that do it. I actual know a person who does it and continues to do so. I don't agree with this practice, however his morals which are flaud are saying to do it. I work under a profession that is highly regulated as such, I do work with others in my profession that "skirt" how things are done for there best interests. Do I agree with what they do, no. Do, they - yes.

I am not going to get in a verbal confrontation on how I see things.

I do appreciate the comments from g-force who has provided me with insight on he does things and it seems to be a good practice.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Drewk86a - Not applying my rules on anything. If we look at the "general" prinicpals in the term of the taxes that you set out. Our gov'ts set boundries on paying taxes. However, due to the level of loop holes there are many who avoid this. Once again is it morally right? It depends on the fabric they work with. Also, if one does not openly think the large compnies, gov'ts, etc are not in collusion with the free market system, then a surpise is in store.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I knew this would get the old blood boiling on a Saturday. I will let my record on this form and others stand for itself. At times do you not feel that we need to get up on the soapbox?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

You can't come on a public forum, state something that is at best controversial, and then say you're not going to get into a verbal confrontation. If you get on a "soapbox" and start antagonizing people, you will have to defend yourself.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can understand his frustration, and that's really all that it is. Like g-force said, BIN/OBO are the only way to go if you have a rare card. I always start my auctions out at the lowest price that I will reasonably accept. If you start at 0.99 and let it ride you will be disappointed about 75% of the time.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Well. I have a ton of low end inserts that I have been selling for over 13 years on eBay. I would never consider shilling.

Fast forward to today. Whilst I still move 16% of all cards listed, when I am presented with free listings, I have done so by separating myself in two ways:

1. By not asking for more than a card is worth - (i.e.) I don't sell $1.50 Paramount Inserts for $3.00 just because they are mine.

2. I am shipping 4 cards to Canada from the USA for $1.50 while other morons are charging $6.55 for one card.

I only have to out-think the Sellers I am competing with, once that is done, the business continues to roll in.
    Last edited by centrehice; 05-11-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Not the only way. No.

And auction is an auction. If you have 2 or more buyers..... Auctions can end up going way higher than a seller might expect.

I agree with many of the other posters here though. BIN /BO is a much safer way to sell higher end stuff. Either that or use a reserve on the auction, or start higher than the minimum 99 cents.

And for us buyers, there is an easy way to avoid shillers. Bid at the last second.... Granted that doesn't stop someone putting up a 'fake reserve' first, but it doesn't prevent incrementele bids to raise you to your max.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What an odd statement to make. There are plenty of ways, within the guidelines of the site and following whatever proper moral code one adheres to, to make good money on eBay.

BIN/OBO - you set the parameters as to what price you will accept. You don't have to sell and you don't have to worry about that $100 BV card that came from a $200 box selling for $5 unless you want it to.

Do your research - there are a number of sites out there that allow people to enter information and calculate profit margins, acceptable pricing scales, and more. If you buy a lot at a discounted price and want to turn around and make a profit, there is absolutely no good reason why you cannot do so without spending a relatively short amount of time to get your ducks in a row.

Sell things that interest people - this can at times be difficult to do in this hobby. With so much filler content it can be tough to acquire and accumulate numerous items that will actually sell at a viable price. If you crack a box of 11-12 Pinnacle at $60 and don't hit a main rookie card or superstar auto, you're gonna be in trouble and will lose money. No way around that.

More thoughts to come later.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 43 of 282 FirstFirst ... 33404142434445465393143 ... LastLast