Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Hmm a very educated and true statement.Encore

First off, I am not an advocate of teachers carrying a weapon. I do however believe in the right to bear arms.

All the schools in my area have officers on duty at all schools. To say that "if police are present (and nice) in elementary schools, some of that dislike and distrust will disappear" is laughable. A very very small % of kids are influenced by "nice" officers. Kids are influenced by their peers along with the morals and values or should I say LACK of morals and values displayed by their parents. Most of these kids have biological fathers that are in jail and many of their mothers are addicted to drugs and or hanging out on the corner. These kids in turn get into trouble and are sent to a juvie detention center and as they grow older commit more crimes and are introduced into the adult system. They in turn populate someone and the cycle continues.

In the 25 years or so I've worked in law enforcement I've run into three types of parents when dealing with a kid who has just committed a crime. 50% say "why you messing with my kid", 35% say "you take him I can handle him" and the last 15% are good parents who have tried to instill good morals and values. To think that law enforcement can have anything more than a little impact is comical. Values and morals start at HOME. You wanting to put the responsibility onto law enforcement is a joke which falls into the 35% who say "you take him I can handle him".

Also for anyone to say "lock (your weapon) up safely when not in use by the owner" is also ludicrous. If someone breaks into your house you normally do not have enough time to unlock whatever storage you are using. I understand the point not having a weapon accessible to a kid but there are other alternatives.

...Rick

EDIT: "The day we have armed guards in schools, Society has lost." When I grew up if you had a problem you settled it with your fists. Not anymore. Sorry, but society lost a while back.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I believe you're correct however, they would have SOME effect if people didn't insist on throwing their hands in the air and doing nothing.
    Are you assuming I think it would be perfect? I made a point of saying it wouldn't. What it will be, and I'm sire of this, is better than it is now. The police as a whole have taken your approach of "This one thing won't work. Don't bother, just give up." for years and the people have never trusted the police less. Not much can change that NOW, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do better for the future.
    People who just want to give up because there isn't one super simple solution just don't get it.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I came home upset because one of the kids that I thought I possibly got through to was arrested for a more serious crime. Even worse is the kids that I thought I possibly got through to ended up laying face down on some pavement. I went into law enforcement for a variety of reasons. One of which was to try to influence young kids into making good decisions. I myself was a somewhat wild kid as a teenager. I figured if I could turn my life around possibly I could help some kids do the same. Time after time after time I was frustrated seeing kids who I thought were really good inside get mixed up with the wrong crowd and in turn now would have to spend a good part of their life if not all of their life behind bars. It took me a lot longer than most to realize that if I even had a positive influence on ONE kids life I have done something.

The first solution in my eyes starts at home.

...Rick
    Last edited by NY Sports Teams; 12-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Imac7065's Items on eBay

So why have laws against drunk driving? Drunks still do it!

Why have laws saying murder is illegal.. murderer's still kill!

Why have laws against theft... thieves still steal!

Do you really not getting how "out there" your position is?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Imac7065's Items on eBay

it is, what is a police officer? a good guy with a gun. a bad guy with a gun gets even worse until they kill themselves or someone with a gun stops them. i am not big on the nra but i do enjoy personal freedoms.

A police officer is a highly trained officer of the law PAID TO PROTECT.... the NRA nut was saying we should all have guns on us at all times so a "good" person can shoot the "bad" person...

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I cannot tell you the amount of times I came home upset because one of the kids that I thought I possibly got through to was arrested for a more serious crime. Even worse is the kids that I thought I possibly got through to ended up laying face down on some pavement. I went into law enforcement for a variety of reasons. One of which was to try to influence young kids into making good decisions. I myself was a somewhat wild kid as a teenager. I figured if I could turn my life around possibly I could help some kids do the same. Time after time after time I was frustrated seeing kids who I thought were really good inside get mixed up with the wrong crowd and in turn now would have to spend a good part of their life if not all of their life behind bars. It took me a lot longer than most to realize that if I even had a positive influence on ONE kids life I have done something.

...Rick

You're still not getting to it. Get to the kids before someone has to "get through to" and fix them. None of your responses relate to that, you're only going by older kids. You're not reading.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're still not getting to it. Get to the kids before someone has to "get through to" and fix them. None of your responses relate to that, you're only going by older kids. You're not reading.

I hear what your saying. I said a very young kid will have the same beliefs as those who are around them the most, their parents. If the parents do not like law enforcement the kids will not like law enforcement. Most kids mimic what parents do. I don't know any 3, 4, 5, 6 year olds that trust an outsider over a parent. I've never seen it, but it sounds like you have. Also the younger kids look up to their older siblings and will act the same way as their older brothers and sisters.

It sounds like you want society to raise these kids. I know too much money has come out of my paychecks to feed/clothe/ect the kids of deadbeat parents who are able to work but want to leech off the government for everything. As I've said a number of times, it all needs to start at HOME. Until there are responsible parents nothing is going to change.

...Rick

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm not saying I want society to raise kids, but it does take a village. We all have a role in making sure the next generation is better than us. We've forgotten that.
    Parents should be the ones to parent. But if you're going to tell me that a kid isn't influenced by teachers, public figures and the like I think you're mistaken. Kids are influenced by everyone around them. Societies job isn't to raise kids, but to make sure kids have the most good experiences and examples possible. That, to me, means building a repoire with police, as well as others, and vice versa. I would love to see when a police car in the school parking lot didn't result in people saying, "Uh oh, what happened."

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not saying I want society to raise kids, but it does take a village. We all have a role in making sure the next generation is better than us. We've forgotten that.
    Parents should be the ones to parent. But if you're going to tell me that a kid isn't influenced by teachers, public figures and the like I think you're mistaken. Kids are influenced by everyone around them. Societies job isn't to raise kids, but to make sure kids have the most good experiences and examples possible. That, to me, means building a repoire with police, as well as others, and vice versa. I would love to see when a police car in the school parking lot didn't result in people saying, "Uh oh, what happened."

I think the most underrated job in society are teachers. More so teachers in the earlier grades as they have the kids a longer time as opposed to teachers in jr/high school who see kids for an hour. Plus those teachers have kids at a younger age who somewhat easier to change than older kids.

Where I'm from there is no "Uh oh, what happened" because there is a cruiser in the parking lot. Our schools for years have had officers inside because of the violence. It is not shocking at all to have a very young kid bring a knife or a gun on school property.

You talk about repoire, please tell me how a 3, 4, 5 year old feels about police when they see their biological father taken away to jail by them? You say parents should be the ones to parent. That's all well and good if they are a positive influence on the kids but you might as well have no parent if they are do not have good parental skills and instill good morals and values. If you have a biological father in jail and a biological mother strung out on crack the chances of having a child grow up to be a valued member of society is miniscule. My tax dollars go to pay for incarceration of the father and food/clothing/ect for the kids.

I've said it many times, thank God I will not be around for another fifty years. Each and every year society gets worse and worse.

...Rick
    Last edited by NY Sports Teams; 12-22-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

If you're going to judge everything by crack addicts and convicts, we aren't having the same conversation .

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

Strict rules and laws to obtain sellers permits
    Ban sales of ammo on the internet
    Ban assault such as the AR15's and Buswacker- I am sure there are a ton more
    Ban high capacity clips
    Limit the amount of ammo to be purchased by a private individual
    Set tough guidelines at the federal level for penalties for violators
    Require a weapons course and /or test to obtain as gun permit - you have to do this to get a drivers license?
    Limit the number of weapons to a household to 6

Just a start Brandon

It's amazing when you start throwing out common-sense steps like this how quickly the snappy retorts dry up on here!
    (or they start talking lawn darts)
    maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast