Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Philadelphia Eagles
    My traders on Flickr

OK, what about something less lethal....a stun gun

If someone steals your stun gun, and uses it on someone else.....should you be charged in the assault?
    Sorry, I only use PayPal goods and I do not ship internationally.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
    (Philippians 4:6)

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

If someone steals your stun gun, and uses it on someone else.....should you be charged in the assault?

That depends. Are you trying to find the line to draw and genuinely add to a solution, or, like Jay, are you just trying to come up with reasons to do nothing?

I would say yes. A stun gun,Ike a gun, only has one real use. So make them registered and if it is used in a crime you are definitely open to charges.

I'll clarify a little, I'm not saying you should always be charged. If you took every precaution and it still get stolen and used I say you should still be chargeable, but not necessarily charged.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm on the fence with this one. I don't think you're going to find anyone ever using something like this and go on a killing spree. As far as I know you don't have to go through any special training to buy or use one (I could be wrong) you just have to be 18. Not exactly sure how I would rate stun guns and pepper sprays, ect. Personally I wouldn't put them any where near the same category as fire arms. If some mass killings start going down with stun guns and pepper spray I guess I'd be far more harsh. It doesn't seem to be an issue however. I do think you should be responsible and keep such items put in proper places.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

So essentially, categorizing all weapons properly is step one?

Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

I'll get some more stupid comparisons out of the way sinc we've already been over the car one. I gun is pretty much in its own category. Not recognizing that is just bringing total bias to the discussion.

If someone steals your potato peeler and kills someone with it.........
    If someone steals a rock from your yard and kills someone with it.........
    If someone steals your chainsaw and kills someone with it........
    If someone steals an apple off your tree and kills someone with it......
    If someone steals your pillow and kills someone with it.........
    If someone steals your belt and kills someone with it.........
    If someone steals your mail and kills someone with it.........

Now the mind blown question is, if someone digs up your body after you're buried (if you decide to be buried) and kills someone with it. Are you held accountable, or your next of kin for not correctly locking your bones up? Give me a break. A gun is NOT any of those things, its a gun. If you cannot understand that aspect of this entire discussion you bring nothing into it but ignorance.

Or we could just blame the ones who commit the crimes instead of blaming the owner that had their property stolen.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Philadelphia Eagles
    My traders on Flickr

That depends. Are you trying to find the line to draw and genuinely add to a solution, or, like Jay, are you just trying to come up with reasons to do nothing?

I would say yes. A stun gun,Ike a gun, only has one real use. So make them registered and if it is used in a crime you are definitely open to charges.

I'll clarify a little, I'm not saying you should always be charged. If you took every precaution and it still get stolen and used I say you should still be chargeable, but not necessarily charged.

While I believe there are things that need to be done to strengthen up the laws to obtain a firearm (ie: more in-depth background checks, better training, closing loopholes in the current laws, etc), requiring everyone to lock up their guns like Fort Knox is a bit ridiculous. I can "maybe" understand small safes or trigger locks, but requiring huge guns safes that cost hundreds of dollars is a bit much. Also, if you obtain your firearm legally and carefully store it, I don't agree with the standpoint of charging them with a crime if the weapon is stolen and used to commit a crime. That is a bit over the top. If someone really wanted to steal something from you......no matter how many precautions you take, they will more than likely get it.

When do we place the responsibility on the criminal? They are the ones who broke into your home, stole your firearm, and used it to commit another crime. The owner of the legally acquired firearm is the victim of a crime (breaking and entering, theft, etc) - why charge a victim as an accomplice in a crime?

As for stun guns, I did some quick research. Most states require no permit whatsoever to possess or use.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Philadelphia Eagles
    My traders on Flickr

I'm on the fence with this one. I don't think you're going to find anyone ever using something like this and go on a killing spree. As far as I know you don't have to go through any special training to buy or use one (I could be wrong) you just have to be 18. Not exactly sure how I would rate stun guns and pepper sprays, ect. Personally I wouldn't put them any where near the same category as fire arms. If some mass killings start going down with stun guns and pepper spray I guess I'd be far more harsh. It doesn't seem to be an issue however. I do think you should be responsible and keep such items put in proper places.

I do not completely agree with you. While a stun gun will not kill you, it will incapacitate you. Thus, making someone vulnerable to other crimes (ie: rape, theft, heck....even murder)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Philadelphia Eagles
    My traders on Flickr

Or we could just blame the ones who commit the crimes instead of blaming the owner that had their property stolen.

I agree with this

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

No one says charge the gun owner and let the criminal walk. He's still getting punished for his crime, the gun owner is just charged for his negligence.

How about this, if your gun is stolen and proven to be used in a crime you aren't charged, but you do lose your right to own a firearm because you were negligent in you keeping of it.

I'm just sick of the constant calls to do absolutely nothing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Philadelphia Eagles
    My traders on Flickr

No one says charge the gun owner and let the criminal walk. He's still getting punished for his crime, the gun owner is just charged for his negligence.

How about this, if your gun is stolen and proven to be used in a crime you aren't charged, but you do lose your right to own a firearm because you were negligent in you keeping of it.

I'm just sick of the constant calls to do absolutely nothing.

What degree of negligence are you talking about?

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast