Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See swaney21's Items on eBay

Alarming Autograph Story, Had To Share!

I know it's been quite a while since I've been around here, but when I heard this story, I HAD to share with all my friends & fellow SCF members.

A friend (as well as a co-worker) of mine is the mother of a professional athlete. I won't say who the player is because I don't want to out his mother for admitting this. So, this lady told me she was going to visit her son for the holidays and I asked if she could get one of my cards of her son signed for me while she was with him. She told me that she should be able to get it signed for me, even though she tried not to ask him to sign things often because he doesn't like it. So she returned and had my card signed for me, but the thing that blew me away was this:

She obviously isn't familiar with how autographed trading cards work... she was telling me that while she was visiting him, one of the card companies had sent him sheets of "hologram sticker things, that looked like address labels" to sign for them to put on their cards... and HIS WIFE was helping him sign them to get the process over with quicker. This is a scary thought, and apparently it's not just counterfeit game used material cards we now need to watch out for!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bayareajavy's Items on eBay

now that's scary but not shocking at all

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Oklahoma City Thunder Los Angeles Dodgers
    See 22chrisbrown29's Items on eBay

Hey! Good to see you! I just meandered back to the site myself :D

That doesn't surprise me at all...this is actually something that has been reported a number of times in the past. I know Errict Rhett had someone signing some of his cards back in 1993 (or 94) ...The signature rookies brand I believe. Also, there was some speculation that Walter Paytons (wife I believe) helped him sign some of the 1997 UD Legends autographs (I don't know that this is true, but it was rumored).

I would imagine this goes on much more than anyone realizes. Not sure why the players wouldn't realize that this is a no-no, especially these days. I know back in the 50's and earlier many of the baseball players would have the clubhouse guys or secretaries sign their stuff, but it wasn't a big money thing like now.

Thanks for sharing and good to see you!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't see the appeal of autographs in the first place but buying an autograph...well lets just say that to me it makes no sense. I can see standing in line for a favorite player at a show (I'd never do it but I can see it) or standing in an autograph pit (or whatever they may call them) at a game waiting for players or something like that but buying one...Like I said I just don't understand the appeal. I mean I understand why people do it but I just don't get why its such a big deal.

This is why I would never put stock in any autograph I didn't see signed in person. In addition to having absolutely no personal attachment you don't even know if the player signed it. I suppose this will be the new game used uproar that will shake the card world. I don't know if players are obligated to sign these things but if I were a player I'm not sure if I would care too much about signing these things. A company sends you a couple of hundred return address labels and sas "here, sign these" They don't even have the courtesy to send the cards themselves, at least that would be an improvement They have to know that 90% of their autos will be sought after to be sold not to mention being used as an enticement to sell the product in the first place. Yeah, eventually a fan will get one but a half a dozen people will have flipped it before he does. Send me a card in the mail with a polite request for a signature and I'll send you one via return mail. Stand in line to see me and I'll say a few words, shake your hand and sign your card or whatever. Stand outside the bus loading area as I'm leaving a game and I'll sign your cards or your hat or your mini helmet or your breast (if that's what you want.) or whatever. See me out to dinner an politely ask me to sign your napkin and I'll do it. In every one of these situations I will be most appreciative of your support and I won't charge you a dime for it. But somehow I'm just not going to be too concerned if a card company uses my card as a hostage in the attempt to sell a 500 box of cards. or if a guy buys up all my cards hoping that I go off someday and he can make a fortune on it. I might jot down a couple of letters that, upon close scrutiny, may resemble my initials but I'm probably not going to put a lot of time or thought into it. I probably would not have someone else do it but maybe I'd just get a stamp made, does that count?

On the other hand, I see the story of Jamal Charles taking all kinds of heat for seeking out Peyton Manning's autograph in the parking area after a game and I wonder what is the big deal. Here is a guy who is not going to just turn around and stick the thing on ebay, and a guy who, if anyone could, afford to buy one off ebay (it was for his mother or so he says but who care if it was for himself) and he is taking time to get it personally signed and he is getting blasted for it. I think its great. I think that is what an autograph should represent. To me it shows a great deal of respect for Manning that one of his peers would make the effort to do that. I understand the whole "I never get a chance to see these players" thing and that's fine. If getting a piece of cardboard with a little avery return address label on it that might have the chicken scratch that may or may not resemble a signature of a player who may or may not have actually signed it makes you happy then hey, go for it. It's just not for me.

I'm sorry, that's a bit harsh. I'm sure every fan would like to have an IP autograph of his favorite player in his collection but you know as well as I do that IP autographs are only worth something to the people getting it signed. To anyone else they don't trust it and they think its a fake. Unless it come from a reputable source and some outside authority tells us its real we don't believe it. Well, as it turns out maybe we cant even believe it then.
    Last edited by sschind; 12-22-2012 at 10:24 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey! Good to see you! I just meandered back to the site myself :D

That doesn't surprise me at all...this is actually something that has been reported a number of times in the past. I know Errict Rhett had someone signing some of his cards back in 1993 (or 94) ...The signature rookies brand I believe. Also, there was some speculation that Walter Paytons (wife I believe) helped him sign some of the 1997 UD Legends autographs (I don't know that this is true, but it was rumored).

I would imagine this goes on much more than anyone realizes. Not sure why the players wouldn't realize that this is a no-no, especially these days. I know back in the 50's and earlier many of the baseball players would have the clubhouse guys or secretaries sign their stuff, but it wasn't a big money thing like now.

Thanks for sharing and good to see you!

It's been too long, GREAT to see you're still messing around here... hope all is well! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

There is a reason why Topps sends a rep to the player to get the cards autographed. While I wouldn't say having somebody else sign a card for you is coming among other companies it probably does happen. Though I'd be curious as to when Topps implemented the paying a guy to view somebody to sign autographs started because there was a screw up with an autograph card in 2005 signed by the wrong guy.

This would actually be a great thread topic to make. Just list all the autograph cards throughout history that have had a "controversy" of other people signing them (or forgeries) surrounding them.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Just out the lazy player. Its too bad he has to be such a jerk when he could be a role model.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

i remember TNA (wrestling) one of the female wrestlers had paid someone to sign some of her cards for her....she was later fired over it if i remember correctly. back in 2007 i think

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nextspeed's Items on eBay

No surprise, but pretty pathetic considering that the card companies paid for these athletes to sign these sticker sheets, actual cards, etc. for them. TTM would be more understandable (still unacceptable though), but not when they're getting paid to sign. That is why I am a huge fan of IP autographs, knowing that I have personally obtain the autograph from the athletes themselves to go into my collection without any authenticity questions nor issues.

SCF Rewards
    Country

No surprise, but pretty pathetic considering that the card companies paid for these athletes to sign these sticker sheets, actual cards, etc. for them. TTM would be more understandable (still unacceptable though), but not when they're getting paid to sign. That is why I am a huge fan of IP autographs, knowing that I have personally obtain the autograph from the athletes themselves to go into my collection without any authenticity questions nor issues.

Absolutely... Things like this and some of the revelations about not so authentic game worn memorabilia cards is one thing that kinda' pushed me away from the hobby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast