Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Noob question #2

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

Noob question #2

Ok, sort of a noob question about card/set values.

In a Becketts, they will list a set of cards at XXX.XX value, and then the standout cards from the set for their own values.

Are the values of the standout cards included in the overall value of the set, or are they considered above and beyond the set value. For example:

I have 3 complete sets of the 89 Upper Deck Baseball, each listed at $60 in Becketts. Each of these sets have a KGJr. rookie card in them, listed at $40 value. Iam trying to asses the overall value of my collection (just for my own knowledge) and want to know how this is handled.

So does the value of the set supersede the value of the individual cards when they are part of the set?
    Am I getting to anal about it? Should I even worry about it?

I am into collecting more for set building/PC collections than for resale or for profit, but like I said, it is sort of interesting to know.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sets before would go for a lot more money but now many people don't want them so you actually have more value most of the time if you break up the set except for a select few. More people are interested in the Griffey RC versus somebody wanting the whole set with common players. So a complete set in your example would book for $60. That is every card in the set placed in a box. The $40 is what just a Griffey card is worth. If you added up every card individually you would probably get more than $100. That's why it is sometimes better to sell high demand cards from a set instead of selling the whole set. People who want just one card out of 800 don't really want to pay the higher shipping cost for a complete set. Kinda weird I know but that's how it goes now. Sets before were king but now not so much.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

Sets before would go for a lot more money but now many people don't want them so you actually have more value most of the time if you break up the set except for a select few. More people are interested in the Griffey RC versus somebody wanting the whole set with common players. So a complete set in your example would book for $60. That is every card in the set placed in a box. The $40 is what just a Griffey card is worth. If you added up every card individually you would probably get more than $100. That's why it is sometimes better to sell high demand cards from a set instead of selling the whole set. People who want just one card out of 800 don't really want to pay the higher shipping cost for a complete set. Kinda weird I know but that's how it goes now. Sets before were king but now not so much.

yeah, that doesn't surprise me now. Still, that is pretty much the info I was looking for. I will still pursue sets for my own pleasure, but will probably set the values as individual card values.

two weeks till I get to break my first boxes in 20 years. Waiting for 2013 Bowman Chrome Baseball to come out...whoo hoo!!! Also waiting for Topps regular as well....

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Beckett isn't really used anymore, but as far as set values are concerned you will make more money selling the individual cards than selling the entire set b/c there really aren't that many set builders nowadays. Not as much as 5-10 yrs ago at least.