Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vaughanbetts's Items on eBay

I love reading this thread each year more than any other. I had a lot on my list last year, most of which involved spending less time on the hobby overall. I did that by focusing very specifically on which cards I collect and not straying from that AT ALL. That move alone helped loads.

I busted a little wax, but not much, as I could never bring myself to spend serious cash on something I knew I wasn't going to keep anyways. I do love the thrill of busting more than I love the joy of snagging something that I really wanted off eBay or wherever, but option two just makes more sense for me. I have the occasional temptation to buy a tin of The Cup, but I'm so scared of getting nothing to make it close to worthwhile.

I'm not really sure what exactly to make as a resolution for this year. I have times when I wonder if I should give it up all together. I definitely don't WANT to, not even a little bit, but I sometimes wonder if it's the best move in the long run. I really don't know where I stand with that, so in the meantime I'm just continuing my RC collecting and wondering if someday I'll get up the nerve to sell them off as they have hot streaks.

If I ever do sell the cards off, I would like to use the funds to do something really cool that I wouldn't ever normally take the money to do. Maybe fly to a mewithoutYou concert or something.

I guess I'll just resolve to have the hobby take even less of my time this year, and to keep thinking about what to do about my collecting over the long term. If anyone has any insight, feel free to share.

Thanks everyone,

svbetts

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See harpercollector's Items on eBay

Thanks for the great read. Only time will reveal to yourself if staying in the hobby is a good choice. Do you happen to still have that Backstrom RC collection haha :)

I love reading this thread each year more than any other. I had a lot on my list last year, most of which involved spending less time on the hobby overall. I did that by focusing very specifically on which cards I collect and not straying from that AT ALL. That move alone helped loads.

I busted a little wax, but not much, as I could never bring myself to spend serious cash on something I knew I wasn't going to keep anyways. I do love the thrill of busting more than I love the joy of snagging something that I really wanted off eBay or wherever, but option two just makes more sense for me. I have the occasional temptation to buy a tin of The Cup, but I'm so scared of getting nothing to make it close to worthwhile.

I'm not really sure what exactly to make as a resolution for this year. I have times when I wonder if I should give it up all together. I definitely don't WANT to, not even a little bit, but I sometimes wonder if it's the best move in the long run. I really don't know where I stand with that, so in the meantime I'm just continuing my RC collecting and wondering if someday I'll get up the nerve to sell them off as they have hot streaks.

If I ever do sell the cards off, I would like to use the funds to do something really cool that I wouldn't ever normally take the money to do. Maybe fly to a mewithoutYou concert or something.

I guess I'll just resolve to have the hobby take even less of my time this year, and to keep thinking about what to do about my collecting over the long term. If anyone has any insight, feel free to share.

Thanks everyone,

svbetts

SCF Rewards
    Country

Spend my money alittle smarter, I've only bought a single box so far this year, and while I do plan on getting a couple more (if hockey returns) I'd prefer to buy more singles than take my chances on a bad box. I've bought a couple nice auto's over the passed few weeks for alot less than I'd have spent on a box of series 1, that will actually hold there value for more than a few weeks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vaughanbetts's Items on eBay

Thanks for the great read. Only time will reveal to yourself if staying in the hobby is a good choice. Do you happen to still have that Backstrom RC collection haha :)

I sure do! Check it out in my bucket whenever you want. I've got every rookie PC separated by player, so they're easy to see. I keep it 100% up to date too, by scanning everything as I get it in the mail. It's easy and quick that way.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be spending the money in other ways. The one thing that helps that though is knowing that I can always recoup the money if I need or want to.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow you have some nice stuff, feel free to shoot me a pm if you're ever wanting to move some of that stuff :)

I sure do! Check it out in my bucket whenever you want. I've got every rookie PC separated by player, so they're easy to see. I keep it 100% up to date too, by scanning everything as I get it in the mail. It's easy and quick that way.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be spending the money in other ways. The one thing that helps that though is knowing that I can always recoup the money if I need or want to.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Let's bump this up to remind people of what they said!
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jaccob Slavin, Ryan Dzingel, Brogan Rafferty, Derek Whitmore, Blackhawks, & 2003-04
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Let's bump this up to remind people of what they said!

Hahah great idea I've kept mine so far!

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

1 - Spend more time/money at my LCS and less on eBay

I have been keeping this one.
    2 - Spend a little less on the hobby overall

I have actually been doing this too!
    3 - Focus on quantity over quality in my Danny Watkins collection

I haven't really touched this PC in awhile.
    4 - Finally decide if I'm keeping or losing my Canucks RC collection

Keeping a psuedo version of this one. Added lots to it this year so far.
    5 - Make some real progress on the Canucks-OPC/OPCP collection

Nowhere near as much as I'd like
    6 - Stop getting sucked into retail purchases

Only retail purchase that wasn't a loose pack was a box of 87-98 Beehive

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

-I have to finish my Man Cave / Hall of Fame and I have to see what all I've got and I have to catalogue it somehow.

Still a work in progress, 14,000 items in my photobucket so far, some of it listed properly. The room is always "almost done".......things get moved around, things on the wall move as I try to use the amount of wall space better.

-The "hobby" has become an obsession / hoard for me and that just ain't healthy. Last year I worked more hours and earned more money than ever and all I've got to show for it is the same debtload and piles of cardboard that the godforsaken cat won't leave alone! So..........I quit, cold turkey.

I lasted a month. But I've cut down a LOT, paid off a chunk of credit card debt, the vacation in October is half paid for, I'm on target to enjoy my eventual slip into dementia......

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

1. Keep on enjoying the hobby. Definitely on the right track.
    2. Trim the Carey Price collection down to ~200-250 cards. It's getting there, just sold a huge insert lot last week.
    3. Keep building up the Josh Gorges and Max Pacioretty collections. Gorges is definitely in the lead here.
    4. Depending on when we see NHL hockey again, start at least 1 new Canadiens RC PC collection. Brendan Gallagher 2013-14!
    5. Get a Maurice Richard memorabilia card. Working on it.
    6. Pick up 2-3 of the History of Hockey art/memorabilia cards that I suggested to Dr. Price that were included in the set. So far I've already got a "The Captain Returns" of Saku Koivu incoming. Slacker.
    7. If the 2011-12 season is cancelled, I might just continue building up my San Francisco 49ers PC at the expense of new hockey card acquisitions. Dodged that one, but still have some cool Colin Kaepernick stuff.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast