Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. #31
    I love reading this thread each year more than any other. I had a lot on my list last year, most of which involved spending less time on the hobby overall. I did that by focusing very specifically on which cards I collect and not straying from that AT ALL. That move alone helped loads.

    I busted a little wax, but not much, as I could never bring myself to spend serious cash on something I knew I wasn't going to keep anyways. I do love the thrill of busting more than I love the joy of snagging something that I really wanted off eBay or wherever, but option two just makes more sense for me. I have the occasional temptation to buy a tin of The Cup, but I'm so scared of getting nothing to make it close to worthwhile.

    I'm not really sure what exactly to make as a resolution for this year. I have times when I wonder if I should give it up all together. I definitely don't WANT to, not even a little bit, but I sometimes wonder if it's the best move in the long run. I really don't know where I stand with that, so in the meantime I'm just continuing my RC collecting and wondering if someday I'll get up the nerve to sell them off as they have hot streaks.

    If I ever do sell the cards off, I would like to use the funds to do something really cool that I wouldn't ever normally take the money to do. Maybe fly to a mewithoutYou concert or something.

    I guess I'll just resolve to have the hobby take even less of my time this year, and to keep thinking about what to do about my collecting over the long term. If anyone has any insight, feel free to share.

    Thanks everyone,

    svbetts
    I'm still in the midst of gutting my extensive high end rookie collection (2001-2010 and all my other mid-high end cards too). I'm still keeping a few, but almost all are going. Take a look around and let me know what you like! Hidden Content

  2. #32
    Thanks for the great read. Only time will reveal to yourself if staying in the hobby is a good choice. Do you happen to still have that Backstrom RC collection haha :)

    Quote Originally Posted by svbetts View Post
    I love reading this thread each year more than any other. I had a lot on my list last year, most of which involved spending less time on the hobby overall. I did that by focusing very specifically on which cards I collect and not straying from that AT ALL. That move alone helped loads.

    I busted a little wax, but not much, as I could never bring myself to spend serious cash on something I knew I wasn't going to keep anyways. I do love the thrill of busting more than I love the joy of snagging something that I really wanted off eBay or wherever, but option two just makes more sense for me. I have the occasional temptation to buy a tin of The Cup, but I'm so scared of getting nothing to make it close to worthwhile.

    I'm not really sure what exactly to make as a resolution for this year. I have times when I wonder if I should give it up all together. I definitely don't WANT to, not even a little bit, but I sometimes wonder if it's the best move in the long run. I really don't know where I stand with that, so in the meantime I'm just continuing my RC collecting and wondering if someday I'll get up the nerve to sell them off as they have hot streaks.

    If I ever do sell the cards off, I would like to use the funds to do something really cool that I wouldn't ever normally take the money to do. Maybe fly to a mewithoutYou concert or something.

    I guess I'll just resolve to have the hobby take even less of my time this year, and to keep thinking about what to do about my collecting over the long term. If anyone has any insight, feel free to share.

    Thanks everyone,

    svbetts

    Hidden Content
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR Stephen Harper, Frazer McLaren, Nicklas Backstrom, and any Lacrosse cards!



  3. #33
    Spend my money alittle smarter, I've only bought a single box so far this year, and while I do plan on getting a couple more (if hockey returns) I'd prefer to buy more singles than take my chances on a bad box. I've bought a couple nice auto's over the passed few weeks for alot less than I'd have spent on a box of series 1, that will actually hold there value for more than a few weeks.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by BackstromCaps19 View Post
    Thanks for the great read. Only time will reveal to yourself if staying in the hobby is a good choice. Do you happen to still have that Backstrom RC collection haha :)
    I sure do! Check it out in my bucket whenever you want. I've got every rookie PC separated by player, so they're easy to see. I keep it 100% up to date too, by scanning everything as I get it in the mail. It's easy and quick that way.

    Sometimes I wonder if I should be spending the money in other ways. The one thing that helps that though is knowing that I can always recoup the money if I need or want to.
    I'm still in the midst of gutting my extensive high end rookie collection (2001-2010 and all my other mid-high end cards too). I'm still keeping a few, but almost all are going. Take a look around and let me know what you like! Hidden Content

  5. #35
    Wow you have some nice stuff, feel free to shoot me a pm if you're ever wanting to move some of that stuff :)

    Quote Originally Posted by svbetts View Post
    I sure do! Check it out in my bucket whenever you want. I've got every rookie PC separated by player, so they're easy to see. I keep it 100% up to date too, by scanning everything as I get it in the mail. It's easy and quick that way.

    Sometimes I wonder if I should be spending the money in other ways. The one thing that helps that though is knowing that I can always recoup the money if I need or want to.

    Hidden Content
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR Stephen Harper, Frazer McLaren, Nicklas Backstrom, and any Lacrosse cards!



  6. #36
    Let's bump this up to remind people of what they said!

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerHawks View Post
    Let's bump this up to remind people of what they said!
    Hahah great idea I've kept mine so far!

    Hidden Content
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR Stephen Harper, Frazer McLaren, Nicklas Backstrom, and any Lacrosse cards!



  8. #38


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,361
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    1 - Spend more time/money at my LCS and less on eBay
    I have been keeping this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    2 - Spend a little less on the hobby overall
    I have actually been doing this too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    3 - Focus on quantity over quality in my Danny Watkins collection
    I haven't really touched this PC in awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    4 - Finally decide if I'm keeping or losing my Canucks RC collection
    Keeping a psuedo version of this one. Added lots to it this year so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    5 - Make some real progress on the Canucks-OPC/OPCP collection
    Nowhere near as much as I'd like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    6 - Stop getting sucked into retail purchases
    Only retail purchase that wasn't a loose pack was a box of 87-98 Beehive
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  9. #39
    -I have to finish my Man Cave / Hall of Fame and I have to see what all I've got and I have to catalogue it somehow.

    Still a work in progress, 14,000 items in my photobucket so far, some of it listed properly. The room is always "almost done".......things get moved around, things on the wall move as I try to use the amount of wall space better.



    -The "hobby" has become an obsession / hoard for me and that just ain't healthy. Last year I worked more hours and earned more money than ever and all I've got to show for it is the same debtload and piles of cardboard that the godforsaken cat won't leave alone! So..........I quit, cold turkey.

    I lasted a month. But I've cut down a LOT, paid off a chunk of credit card debt, the vacation in October is half paid for, I'm on target to enjoy my eventual slip into dementia......
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content , you FAVORITED a complaint? Did you even read any of it???

    Hidden Content Hidden Content We thought you were a Pierre-Marc Bouchard fan.

  10. #40
    1. Keep on enjoying the hobby. Definitely on the right track.
    2. Trim the Carey Price collection down to ~200-250 cards. It's getting there, just sold a huge insert lot last week.
    3. Keep building up the Josh Gorges and Max Pacioretty collections. Gorges is definitely in the lead here.
    4. Depending on when we see NHL hockey again, start at least 1 new Canadiens RC PC collection. Brendan Gallagher 2013-14!
    5. Get a Maurice Richard memorabilia card. Working on it.
    6. Pick up 2-3 of the History of Hockey art/memorabilia cards that I suggested to Dr. Price that were included in the set. So far I've already got a "The Captain Returns" of Saku Koivu incoming. Slacker.
    7. If the 2011-12 season is cancelled, I might just continue building up my San Francisco 49ers PC at the expense of new hockey card acquisitions. Dodged that one, but still have some cool Colin Kaepernick stuff.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 204 Unique Cards + 8 1/1's!!!

    Also collecting: Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and many retired legends!




Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •