Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Canada wins the Spengler Cup

I'm not sure how many people got up at 6 a.m. to watch this one, but it was a dominating performance by Canada. Entertaining, fast-moving hockey on the big ice, with some of our Euro-based NHLers like Ryan Smyth, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Duchene, Devan Dubnyk, Tyler Seguin and Jason Spezza all having great tournaments. And the play of John Tavares all tournament long was incredible - I'd like to see how his NHL game has matured even since last season.

They thumped a pretty good Davos team that included Joe Thornton, Pat Kane and a lot of skilled forwards. Great hockey, even if it will never get the attention afforded to the World Juniors. Great job by a bunch of guys who are always proud to represent their country.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

Watched a few games of it; Schneider looked pretty good in net for Fribourg, even in a 5-1 loss against Canada. Most of the goals scored in this tournament were of highlight real calibre too. It was phenomenal to watch, even without the big name NHLers. It's one of the best tournaments to watch (minus the ads all over the place).

MUST SEND FIRST ON ALL TRADES

SCF Rewards
    Country

I saw the first period great job by the canucks. what was the final score?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I saw the first period great job by the canucks. what was the final score?

Final was 7-2, after a late goal by Davos.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Congrats to them - it's a very under-appreciated tournament that always gets second billing from a lot of fans. It did have a lot more star power to it this year, so hopefully the added profile will carry over to future years. yay Canada!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have not read a story written about this anywhere...... but I'm pretty sure that with this win, Ryan Smyth becomes the only player to have Gold medals from the World Junior Championship, World Championship, World/Canada Cup, Olympics, and Spengler..... though based on its nature, maybe a little iffy to call the Spengler a truely 'international' tourney.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Actually they mentioned its Bergeron the most decorated, he also has the Stanley Cup.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Actually they mentioned its Bergeron the most decorated, he also has the Stanley Cup.

Bergeron is the first to win the World Juniors, World Championships, Olympics, Stanley Cup and Spengler. Smyth is missing the Stanley Cup, but was part of Canada's 2004 World Cup-winning team.

Too bad Toews didn't play on this Spengler team, he could have joined Bergeron on that list!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yeah, I was looking at the international tournaments only (i.e. no Stanley, Calder, or Memorial Cups).

Again - I don't know that you can really call the Spengler an international touranments. It's club teams from several European Leagues, and a 'Team Canada'.

When you look at just international tournaments, it is Smyth that now has the most unique ones. Bergeron never had the oppertunity for a World Cup (or Canada Cup).

Best I can tell, the only other players to have won WJC, WC, World Cup (or Canada Cup) and Olympic Gold are:

Scott Neidermayer
    Joe Sakic

Igor Larionov
    Sergi Makarov
    Vladimir Krutov
    Slava Fetisov
    Alexi Kastatonov

Smyth would be the only guy from that list to have also won a Spengler Cup - though I suspect the others..... and winning a Stanley Cup.... are just happy with their careers.

There's talk of brining back the World Cup every other year.... Bergeron may still get his chance at that one yet.

Bergeron is the first to win the World Juniors, World Championships, Olympics, Stanley Cup and Spengler. Smyth is missing the Stanley Cup, but was part of Canada's 2004 World Cup-winning team.

Too bad Toews didn't play on this Spengler team, he could have joined Bergeron on that list!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

My problem with the Spengler Cup is that with only 3 teams per division Canada was able to go 1 win and 1 OTL and get a bye to the semis. Then win the semi and final and they are Champions. Too short of a tournament but still entertaining and the players and fans care about it.

The tournament should add a team from the top Finnish and Swedish leagues and expand that way. I heard rumors that the tournament is considering adding an AHL team to it if a deal can be made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast