Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Authenticity question

SCF Rewards
    Country

Authenticity question

I purchased a lot on ebay for relatively cheap of some cards to complete a set I'm working on.

I'm having some questions on the authenticity of the graphs. I initially asked the seller how they obtained the items, and they said it was in person in games from 2000-2006.

I know players' autographs change throughout the years, but some of these are just ugly. Let me know if you guys have any opinions on them. I'm keeping in mind that players sign quickly during games and don't have the luxury of sitting down and taking time to make their graphs look nice.

I have no reason to believe this seller to lie, and he's really not making any money off of me in this transaction. He has 99.3% positive feedback (two negative out of 400+) on all of his items (most of which are certified autos from the card companies).

Anyways, here are the pics

Olerud - The J looks right, but most Olerud sigs have more neatness of stroke to them and a more defined "O".
    Varitek - His trademark "V" is there. The lines are pretty smooth. This one looks pretty authentic to me.
    Ramirez - This is one of my two big question marks. This Ramirez signature looks nothing like his certified autos of the time period. In fact, it looks like just a bunch of big scribbles.
    Pettitte - Andy's sig is typically all over the place and never consistent, sometimes he even misses complete letters. Still, this one doesn't look too hot.
    O'Neil - This O'Neil doesn't look too bad. It seems rather oddly spaced though.
    Justice - This one looks like a true beauty. While it doesn't exactly match Dave's, it's really damn close.
    Anderson - This one's another big red flag for me. GA usually signed in huge letters, taking up half the card space in the process. This little bundled up number seems off.
    Wells - looks pretty authentic. D looks a little off.
    Hunter - I know he didn't do the double " i " dot during some points in his career. This sig did match a few other examples I've seen online.

Here are the others

Smoltz - John's "J's" are usually pretty crazy. This one is hard to tell.
    Boggs - This looks pretty true to a wade boggs signature. I have a TTM of his that is near identical.
    Helton - Todd's signature can get a bit sloppy. Your opinion is as good as mine.
    Tejada - I have Miguel's auto on this same card from a trusted source. It doesn't look like this one sizewise. This almost seems too small, but I could see a situation where Miguel wanted to target the whiteness of his pants on a relatively dark card.

I look forward to the opinions of others. Also, if someone knows a site that can help authenticate these, I'd appreciate it.

Again, I'm not too upset if these are forged. I didn't pay anything for them, but there were a few tough TTM guys in here that I needed to help complete my set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dscards33's Items on eBay

They all look like they were signed by the same person. The jerky pen strokes are the same on all.

The Tejada, Helton, Smoltz, Hunter, Anderson, Justice, Pettite, and Ramirez look 100% fake. The others could possibly be quick ballpark versions, but if the seller forged some of them, money is he forged all of them. The whole lot is fake in my opinion, and not that poorly executed at that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

thanks for the opinion! I got the same feeling also. I couldn't help but notice that all the signatures were in very odd places too. Like he wanted to hit every corner of each card to make each one of them different.

I'll see if I can get my money back.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think any of them are authentic...some of them I have seen more authentic examples than others, but I agree with the above statement that they look like they were signed by the same person.

No way are the Boggs, O'Neill, Wells, Hunter, Anderson or Tejeda authentic.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country
    Penn State Nittany Lions Kansas City Royals
    Twitter: @rtsjr1 See thebusfan's Items on eBay

smoltz looks like a bad fake for sure

SCF Rewards
    Country

That tejada is ugly. Looks like a scribble. Hope you can get your money back.