Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

If you have any screw-down cases left over from the 90s, throw them out!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

If you have any screw-down cases left over from the 90s, throw them out!

why is that? I have tons of things in screw-down cases...I have not noticed any damage or change to the cards

SCF Rewards
    Country

I also just started collecting about a year and a half ago. I started out buying simple blasters of Series 1 I think, which are around $20. Me and my friend went into it together, and the first thing you'll be shocked by are the prices. When I saw a box for $70, I was baffled! (This is before I saw anything remotely high end, lol). But now, the prices aren't so bad to me as I've learner you can easily get your money back, but just a easily get NOTHING back. Luckily, I don't generally sell, I just hope for PC Cards and the rest go into trading. I really have no idea about return value for me. Anyways, all I can say is don't be turned of by the prices of hobby boxes. ! I still haven't bought any box over $100, and you still get really nice stuff which is cool if you don't have tons of money to spend!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

why is that? I have tons of things in screw-down cases...I have not noticed any damage or change to the cards

There is a decent chance, with newer more glossy cards especially, that over time the card will stick to the top cover, and if you try to remove the card it will peel. One-touch cases are the way to go.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

When trying to make a trade, don't get upset if it doesn't happen. Too often we see a deal that couldn't be made turn into a fight between the two traders. It sucks when it happens, but when a deal isn't there, just accept it and move on.

Like you said, hobby not retail.

And keep to the trading rules/etiquette. It's not tough to figure out what they are.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks everyone for the helpful pointers. Would love to keep hearing more. This is great.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

Make sure you have read and understood the site rules, it help to not get into trouble. One of the rule is the Must Send First rule. This mean that until you reach 20 positive feedback you will need to send you end first even when selling cards. My suggestion to you is to trade/sell only to traders with 30+ feedback. That should keep you safe from scammer. I see two type of scammer here. Those who come and try to make many trade or sell many cards and make all pay or send right away and then disappear for the site. The other would be those who will take the time to reach 20 feedback and then make as many trade/sales as possible and leave the site. On rare occasion a member will have a great feedback and do the same but if you stick to 30+ feedback until you can send at the same time, that should get you started well. I say 30 because it safer but at least 20 + is a good way to prevent this from happening to you. I was always prudent and never had to loose one card or 1$ yet. So take your time.

If you intend to trade here only, I suggest you take a look at the SCF Inventory application as it's great to keep track and upload image of your best trade or personal collection (PC). The trand is a lot on collecting players now days, more so then collecting set was more the trand back then. Now there is so many sets that collector seam to find collecting players more fun but set collector are still out there. They usually tend to collect insert set more then base sets.

With auto and memorabilia the base card lost of lot of interest and for many, they don't even keep them but player collector still like to have them for their players.

I got a lot of card since I sarted to collect cards in the 60's so I use card box to put my cards in. For the insert, auto, RC memorabilia and serial cards I put them in top loader. I do not use the bigger case because they will not fit into the card box. I used 3200 count cardbox to put the best cards as it can hold card in top loader. I do not use binder as I am a bit old fashion and like pile of cards. With them in top loader I can manipulate them and not damage them. Having the card in a close boxe prevent dust, light and odeur to get to the cards and keep them in mint condition. This is why I prefer this method. When you start the box will look empty but in time it will fill up. Also I use card board a bit taller the a card and fold it on top of a top loader lenght and will write the year and set name to sperate the cards. So If I open a 2012-13 artifacts then I make a tab and put the hit there. Since I put base card in a 5000 count box, I do a other label for the base card. This way if you search a card, once you get to have a few, they are easy to find. Using the inventory also make it easy later to pull card member may like if you are organise.

I got a few display but every time I fill it up, I always end up putting them back into the boxes, so now I do not sue the display much. In the end it'se more fun to hold the cards and for card like memorabilia or tick card, in addition to the top loader I put them into a team bag that will prevent the card from falling out of the top loader. Same for all expensive cards. This is more then enough to protect a card as I find the snap on a bit expensive and they do not fit into the boxes as they are too wide and high. One more reason not to use them.
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect

SCF Rewards
    Country

When trying to make a trade, don't get upset if it doesn't happen. Too often we see a deal that couldn't be made turn into a fight between the two traders. It sucks when it happens, but when a deal isn't there, just accept it and move on.

This is great advice. When I first started doing online deals years ago I would get annoyed if things didn't work out while trying to set up a deal. I've since realized that this is just a hobby & supposed to be fun so I try not to let silly little things bother me.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

This is great advice. When I first started doing online deals years ago I would get annoyed if things didn't work out while trying to set up a deal. I've since realized that this is just a hobby & supposed to be fun so I try not to let silly little things bother me.

Exactly. And I find that trades tend to come in bunches with nothing in between said bunches. That can get frustrating too.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I got a few display but every time I fill it up, I always end up putting them back into the boxes, so now I do not sue the display much. In the end it'se more fun to hold the cards and for card like memorabilia or tick card, in addition to the top loader I put them into a team bag that will prevent the card from falling out of the top loader. Same for all expensive cards. This is more then enough to protect a card as I find the snap on a bit expensive and they do not fit into the boxes as they are too wide and high. One more reason not to use them.

Thanks for taking the time to write out all that. What's this "team bag" you speak of?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast