Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How did your COLLEGE guys do in the NFL this season?

As a Boise State Broncos fan, this season had some very high highs, and a few pretty big lows. Here's a bit of a recap on how my Boise State guys did this season:

HIGHLIGHTS:

Doug Martin, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Man oh man, what a great season for Dougie. Absolutely killed it for Tampa Bay, with this stat line: 1,454 rushing yards, 11 rushing TDs. Five 100 yard games, including 251 yards in Week 9. Also had 49 grabs for 472 yards and a score. The biggest thing to me was that he held up all season, used almost every down, could do a little of everything, and only fumbled once all year.

Kellen Moore, QB, Detroit Lions.

After going undrafted, the all-time leading winner in NCAA history made and stuck on the Detroit Lions roster, as the 3rd string QB. I'll take it!

Jeron Johnson, S, Seattle Seahawks

Scored a TD scooping up a blocked punt and taking it 3 yards vs. Dallas in Week 9. His score put the Seahawks in the lead for good, winning 27-7.

Billy Winn, DT, Cleveland Browns

Yes, the Browns had highlights this season, at least for Boise State fans. Billy started 10 games for the Browns, recording a sack and an INT.

Quintin Mikell, S, St. Louis Rams

Quintin finished up his 10th season in the NFL, recording a career best 3 sacks, 75 tackles, and 4 forced fumbles. Mikell ranks as the most accomplished NFL player to represent Boise State. He became the FIRST player to play college ball for ONLY Boise State to make it 10 seasons in the NFL.

Kyle Wilson, S/CB, New York Jets

In Kyle's 3rd season, he started 15 games for the Jets, more than he had started in his first two seasons combined.

Finally, one of the highlights has to have been the numbers 19 and 4. 19 represents the number of Boise State Broncos on NFL rosters this season, incuding one on a practice squad, and 20 if you count Korey Hall being placed on the reserve/retired list this season by Arizona. 4 is the number of teams that had TWO Boise State Broncos on them: Arizona, Dallas, St. Louis, and Detroit. Sadly, none of them made the playoffs.

LOWLIGHTS:

Austin Pettis and Titus Young, WRs, St. Louis Rams and Detroit Lions

In what should have been breakout years for both players, both turned in disappointing efforts. Although Pettis closed the season well, catching TDs in the final 2 games of the year, he had just 30 grabs all year for 261 yards. Yes, he did score his first 4 TDs, but considering the WR jobs were wide open all season in St. Louis, his numbers were lower than expected. It also didn't help that he was suspended for the first 2 games of the year for testing positive for marijuana.

Titus Young's Detroit Lions career is all but over after being exiled from the team after Week 10. It was looking promising for him in 2012, with a 9 catch, 100 yard game in Week 7, but continuing issues with team rules, being late or not showing up for meetings, and maturity problems has signaled the end for Titus in the Motor City. Couple that with these numbers: 15 fewer catches, over 200 fewer yards, and 2 less TDs than last year, and it was all downhill for Titus in 2012.

Brandyn Thompson, CB, Washington Redskins

If you are asking yourself, "Who?", it's because although he was drafted in the 7th round in 2012, Thompson didn't stick on the 'Skins roster.

And finally...

3. The number of Broncos in the playoffs this season, making it unlikely for anyone to join Korey Hall and Daryn Colledge of the 2010 Packers as players who played exclusively for Boise and then won a Super Bowl. Technically, Atlanta has Tommy Gallarda, a reserve TE, but he is on IR. Also technically, Chase Baker is a DT on the Vikings practice squad. But the big 3 are Seahawks S Jeron Johnson, Denver OT Ryan Clady, and reserve Bengals S George Iloka.

So how did your college team's NFL guys do in 2012?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (finally organized!) and Hidden Content
    Current Project: 2013 Golden Age Minis Master Set: 683/750 cards (91.1%)

SCF's Resident BOISE STATE Collector
    Matt Ware & Justin Cobbs Super Collector

Not a big college guy, but I did keep my eye on a few of my University of Florida alumni.

Highlights:
    Janoris Jenkins CB-STL Rams
    I still count him, even though he finished his NCAA career at North Alabama. He had 4 INT's, 3 of which he returned for TD's. And one Fumble returned for a TD. Pretty outstanding start to this young man's career, if he can stay out of trouble.

Brandon Spikes LB-NE Patriots
    Despite only starting 14 games in his past two years, this year he started 14 games missing 2 because of injury. Brandon has 57 Tackles, 1 Sack, and 5 Forced Fumbles. Note that he shares the linebacking core with Jerod Mayo, who leads the team in tackles.

Aaron Hernandez TE-NE Patriots
    Aaron had another injury-plagued season, he still managed to put up some nice numbers. Also note he shares starting reps with, arguably the best today, Rob Gronkowski. He still had 51 catches for 483 yards, and 5 TD's.

Carlos Dunlap DE- CIN Bengals
    Carlos despite being the back up, had a pretty impressive season. He had 33 Tackles, 6 Sacks, 1 Interception, 4 Forced Fumbles, and 3 Fumbles Recovered.

Riley Cooper WR- PHI Eagles
    He got to see the field after injuries to DeSean Jackson and put up respectable numbers, especially from a guy who's not supposed to play at all! He had 23 Receptions for 248 Yards and 3 TD's.

Lowlights:
    Tim Tebow QB- NY Jets
    Tim got infamously disrespected in New York. Specifically when in Week 16 they put Jeremy Kerley in to run the Wildcat, and let him do something they haven't let Tim do all year.. throw the ball!!! He was 4th in Passing Yards on the team behind Sanchez, McElroy, and JEREMY KERLEY! Hopefully he will revitalize his career in Jacksonville.

Chris Rainey RC- PIT Steelers
    I got excited when a 5th RD. pick in Rainey made the roster. I thought this was a good sign for the future. However he had trouble holding the ball with 4 Fumbles. A little over a hundred yards on the season, and 2 TD's. On the bright side, he had a 26.5 Return Average on Kickoff Returns. Still with the revolving door at Runningback in Pittsburgh I was hoping for more production from Mr.Rainey.

Great thread idea, it was fun to talk about some of our college favorites!
    Hidden Content
    Bucket fully updated. Looking for any Miami Dolphins.
    #FinsUp
    ANY Dolphin GU/Auto can find a home with me!

Nice! It's definitely a shame about Tebow this season. I definitely think Jax would be a great fit.
    Hidden Content

As a Syracuse fan only 2 guys were relevant
    Dwight Freeney and Mike Williams
    Instead of running away please feel free to counter offer my offers.A deal can always be made

My Bucket
    Hidden Content

For georgia, i was super happy about knowshon moreno making a comeback this season, and aj green had a great year. Staffords year was up and down. kris durham made his way off the lions practice squad and got some playing time in the last few games, partly because of titus youngs maturity issues. blair walsh set a record for most field goals over 50 yards in a season for the vikings. charles johnson justin houston, and geno atkins all reached double digit sacks this year. akeem dent, thomas davis, danell ellerbee all had positive impacts at linebacker for their teams this season. overall a great year for Georgia in the nfl with 5 players making the pro bowl. i would say stafford's inconsistency is the only disappointment
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    looking for UGA autos/rcs in college uniform from 2005 - present, and 2009 knowshon moreno donruss elite rcs

As a Rutgers fan (sigh)...

I liked seeing Ray Rice solidify his spot as a stud running back, and he had possibly the play of the year with that 4th and 29 conversion.

Mohammed Sanu in his rookie season was a real standout with some awesome touchdown catches, and even a touchdown pass.

I didn't pay very much attention to the McCourty bros this season... or Brian Leonard for that matter.

I couldn't believe Russell Wilson's good fortune. I followed Wisconsin last season because my family members attend Wisco... and I loved seeing Russell Wilson get his chance, and thrive.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ajcorleone View Post
    As a Syracuse fan only 2 guys were relevant
    Dwight Freeney and Mike Williams
    I'm not so sure that was true...

Chandler Jones had 6 sacks and played pretty well coming off the edge, and Steve Gregory set career highs in INTs, INT yards, forced fumbles, and scored a TD this year, both for NE. Olindo Mare also stepped in to the wayback machine, scoring 25 points in the last 3 weeks with Chicago.
    Hidden Content

I thought this thread might be a bit more popular... oh well.
    Hidden Content

Carlos Dunlap DE- CIN Bengals
    Carlos despite being the back up, had a pretty impressive season. He had 33 Tackles, 6 Sacks, 1 Interception, 4 Forced Fumbles, and 3 Fumbles Recovered.
    if he could just stay healthy an entire season he is a force on the d line.

Lots of Michigan guys in the NFL but here are the top 4 best performing from this year (in no particular order)...

1. Tom Brady (QB, NE) - Well, he was Tom Brady. 4,827 yards, 34 touchdowns, looking strong going into the playoffs.

2. Stevie Brown (S, NYG) - Pretty unknown defensive back for the Giants. Had a great year. 76 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and 8 interceptions.

3. David Harris (LB, NYJ) - Pretty solid year as he has always had. 123 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 3 sacks.

4. Jay Feely (K, ARI) - Always a solid play at kicker. 25/28 FGM. 61 yard long FG. 25/25 XPM. 100 total points.

Sad to see the following guys not have as good years as they are used to, primarily due to injury: Charles Woodson, Lamarr Woodley, Leon Hall, Braylon Edwards.
    Collecting Green Bay Packers and University of Michigan Wolverines GU and Autographs!
    Tradelist (FT or FS): Hidden Content style="text-align: center;">Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast