Ray Lewis To Retire At Seasons End

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...etiring-season

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis announced Wednesday that he will retire at the end of this season, closing one of the greatest careers in NFL history.

Lewis told the team that "this will be my last ride."

Lewis says "it is time for me to create a new legacy" after 17 NFL seasons.

He's not ready to say if he's going to be healthy enough to play for the first time since tearing his triceps two months ago when the Ravens play host to the Colts in Sunday's wild-card game. All he said was that he's on the active roster.

Sunday will likely be Lewis' final game in Baltimore.

He returned to practice on Dec. 5, and in order for him to be eligible for the playoffs, the Ravens added him to the active roster later in the month.

Lewis has gone to 13 Pro Bowls, been named first-team All-Pro seven times and has been voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year twice.

He led the Ravens to the 2000 Super Bowl when he was the key figure on a defense that set the NFL record for fewest points allowed in a 16-game season.

Lewis had hinted at retirement previously. He said last summer that he couldn't see himself playing past the age of 37. Lewis turned 37 in May.

ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton contributed to this report.
    Im not sure if they dont get it done that he wont change his mind...
    Last edited by WVcoltsfan; 01-02-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Collecting PEYTON MANNING, CAL RIPKEN JR, AUSTIN COLLIE AND CURRENT COLTS
    **IN THAT ORDER, PEYTON TAKES PRIORITY**

Definitely a sad day for Raven fans, I would not be surprise if Reed doesn’t retire too after this season.

I think its a sad day for football fans....he is easily the greatest to play lb
    trade site - Hidden Content
    cowboys site that is no available
    Hidden Content NO LONGER COLLECT...IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING IN MY BUCKET PLEASE PM ME OR ILL TRADE FOR NINTENDO STUFF

I think that he might come back next season. He still got it.

If his decision is final, it will be a sad day for football fans. Truly one of the most dominating linebackers of all-time and a sure-fire 1st ballot Hall of Famer.
    NOT doing 50/50s nor consignments!

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (19)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Sad day . Awsome man and awsome player. He made everyone around him a better man and a better player.
    Hidden Content
    -BECKETT SUPER COLLECTOR JULY 2006 ISSUE#196+NOV 2008 ISSUE #220 i collect Ed Reed,Ravens,Baltimore Colts+ nice stuff
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer View Post
    Definitely a sad day for Raven fans, I would not be surprise if Reed doesn’t retire too after this season.
    I agree 100% that Reed will also be done if Lewis does call it quits.
    Hidden Content
    **Hidden Content **
    Bucket Updated 4/5/14

I remember staring dumbfounded at the TV as the Ravens led by Ray Lewis blanked the Giants in Super Bowl 35... after scoring 41 in the NFC Championship... the Ravens D with Lewis in charge let them have 7... but it was more lopsided than the score indicated. Me and the rest of the NFL fans will miss you Ray! You are a true legend.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

definite 1st ballot, the best to ever do it that I have had the privilege of watching, also I agree that ed reed would probably call it a career when lewis does which is another definite 1st ballot guy walking away. saddens me that I will never get to see ray lewis play live at a bengals ravens game,

If theres one player who has earned retirement with dignity and respect from players and fans its ray lewis. It is a sad day, but I for one am happy hes walking away from the game on his own terms. He will leave a legacy behind him. Im happy with whatever he decides. Hes earned everything he gets and then some. A huge thanks to him for being a class act of the nfl and one hell of a player!
    pc is spectra spectra spectra