Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Chicago sued for alleged discrimination against black teachers

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-sued-a...235647817.html

The Chicago Teachers Union has sued the nation's third largest school district, saying Mayor Rahm Emanuel's campaign to reform or close underperforming public schools discriminates against African-American teachers and staff.

The federal lawsuit filed on Wednesday and announced on Thursday is the latest battle with the city since teachers staged a week-long strike in September. It alleges that more than half of the tenured teachers fired in the most recent round of school closings and turnarounds were African American.

But blacks make up less than 30 percent of the tenured teaching staff in the district and 35 percent of the tenured teacher population in the failing schools, the lawsuit claims.

The suit in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois seeks an immediate moratorium on any additional school closings in the city.

Emanuel, a former top White House adviser to President Barack Obama, and the school district are expected to close more schools in the coming years because of declining enrollment and a huge budget deficit.

The school district has until the end of March 2013 to say which schools it wants to close, and it has appointed a commission to study the matter.

The district's enrollment has fallen nearly 20 percent in the last decade, mainly because of population declines in poor neighborhoods. The district said it can accommodate 500,000 students, but only about 400,000 are enrolled. About 140 schools are half empty, according to the district.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

So if I am reading this correctly, the union's position is that teachers should be retained or fired based on race and not on their ability to teach?

And people wonder why their kids are getting a poor education...

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

So if I am reading this correctly, the union's position is that teachers should be retained or fired based on race and not on their ability to teach?

And people wonder why their kids are getting a poor education...

Yup. Using schoolchildren as weapons in a political fight is just wrong. This is a good example, as is the fight over "abstinence only" (non) education in southern states. As long as kids are being used in political fights they will get dumber and dumber and dumber.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Yup. Using schoolchildren as weapons in a political fight is just wrong. This is a good example, as is the fight over "abstinence only" (non) education in southern states. As long as kids are being used in political fights they will get dumber and dumber and dumber.

CHURCH!!
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Really sad to see the teachers thinking about politics instead of finding a way to keep their jobs and the schools opened. SAD

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Really sad to see the teachers thinking about politics instead of finding a way to keep their jobs and the schools opened. SAD

Teacher's union, not teachers. The teacher's union here in BC is a major problem. Constant strikes and the whole bit. Thing is, if you talk to individual teachers, very few actually want to strike or think it will make a difference. After talking to teachers, one has to wonder how they got a vote to strike. Either they're all liars or some fishy business is going on with union heads in these "votes"

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Actually it is the teachers (and union) that are trying to keep their jobs and the schools open for unjustified reasons.

First and foremost, any teacher that is failing to do their job and properly educate their students should be shirt-collared and tossed out the front door. The idea that teachers fail their students, fail their community and fail to do anything remotely like what they were hired to do and then expect to keep their job is a joke. I don't care if they are black, white, blue, purple or rainbow colored, if you are a poor teacher you should be fired AND have your license revoked.

Second, the school enrollment has declined by 20%. Ask any business manager what he would do if his customer base declined by 20% and his immediate response will be to cut payroll. That is just common sense. These teachers thinking that the schools should stay open and every teacher should keep their job when there are no students is just plain ignorant.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I can agree to that as long as parents who send their kids to school with no discipline or respect lose their kids. Both sides have a responsibility and if teachers' jobs are on the line then parents should be held accountable as well.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I can agree to that as long as parents who send their kids to school with no discipline or respect lose their kids. Both sides have a responsibility and if teachers' jobs are on the line then parents should be held accountable as well.

As a teacher, I would love to see parents held accountable for their children's actions, but my success as a teacher is only slightly inhibited by disrepectful students as I have a strong discipline presence in my classroom and avenues to deal with trouble students. Using a disruptive student as an excuse for doing a poor job for an entire year is a cop-out in my opinion.

For the record, I am an Alternative Education teacher. 100% of my students are the disruptive, troubled, unmotivated and have some history with drug/alcohol/tobacco abuse and I have no problem teaching. A good teacher doesn't allow children to dictate and control the classroom.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm not talking about using one student as an excuse. I'm talking about keeping people accountable.