Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Female athletes

  1. #1

    Female athletes

    I know that you are wondering what does this have to do with P&R but just sit back and I will explain. I am piggybacking off a thread that I started in the basketball section on why female ballers don't get any love. For example I am a huge basketball fan and watch it year around. During the summer when there is no nba or college games on I like going to wnba games. Yes I understand the most female ballers are not as athletic and cannot dunk like their male counterparts but are still pretty good at their craft. My question is should the wnba or female sports in general capitalize off the sexuality of some of their more attractive players like Candace Parker and Lindsey Harding and encourage them to pose in playboy? Candace already posed in the ESPN the body issue and looked pretty good why not playboy? If you look at female musicians and entertainers what is their main selling point besides their talent? Exactly. Now I am not writing this thread to be sexist or to treat women as sex objects but to be perfectly honest in this society sex sells and money talks that other stuff walks. Just look at how much press Vince McMahon gets when one of his female wrestlers poses in playboy. The wnba is missing out on a huge marketing opportunity. What are your thoughts?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  2. #2


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,366
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Should they? If they want to. Would it help with income for the sport? Yes. Would it bring more credibility and respect? Not a chance.
    They have to decide if they want dignity and respect or $$$$$.
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    Should they? If they want to. Would it help with income for the sport? Yes. Would it bring more credibility and respect? Not a chance.
    They have to decide if they want dignity and respect or $$$$$.
    I have to disagree with you on that. Look at all the female non athletes who posed in playboy. They are just as respected and loved as those who didn't. Most men read Sports Illustrated and Playboy. Since you hardly ever read about the wnba in SI why not promote them in playboy? Without getting in graphic details playboy is not really a porn magazine and it's pictures are almost just like when Candace Parker posed in espn the magazine the body issue. It will show how athletic and in great shape the ladies are in and they will attract a larger fan base. As far as I know only 1 wnba baller ever posed in playboy and she was a fringe player who's career already ended. This is a gold mine for the wnba.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    The WWE thing doesn't carry weight IMO. Just because a WWE Diva poses in Playboy doesn't generate attention for the "sport". I would venture that 99.9% of the people who buy the magazine because a Diva is in it are already WWE fans. Ask any non-WWE fan what they think of Maryse posing in Playboy and I guarantee you that their first response will be "Who is Maryse?"

    Prime example. You say Candace Parker is a WNBA player who posed in the ESPN body issue. I have no idea who she is and couldn't pick her out of a line-up. Her posing in a magazine did little to generate interest or noteriety outside of the sport. The only people who care are the ones who are already fans like yourself.

    Obviously there would be a small amount of generated interest. But do these WNBA players want to get attention and be watched because they have a great jump shot or a great centerfold?

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    The WWE thing doesn't carry weight IMO. Just because a WWE Diva poses in Playboy doesn't generate attention for the "sport". I would venture that 99.9% of the people who buy the magazine because a Diva is in it are already WWE fans. Ask any non-WWE fan what they think of Maryse posing in Playboy and I guarantee you that their first response will be "Who is Maryse?"

    Prime example. You say Candace Parker is a WNBA player who posed in the ESPN body issue. I have no idea who she is and couldn't pick her out of a line-up. Her posing in a magazine did little to generate interest or noteriety outside of the sport. The only people who care are the ones who are already fans like yourself.

    Obviously there would be a small amount of generated interest. But do these WNBA players want to get attention and be watched because they have a great jump shot or a great centerfold?

    Yes they have better jumpshots that you or I but like you said you have no idea who any of them are. They need to do something to market their sport. I know that (I have read an article on this so please do not jump on me for saying this) that the wnba does a huge job working with the gay and lesbian community and promoting their sport among them which I have no problem with them doing that but straight males are what drives sports in this country and they need to do something to get more of them in there.

    Also check out my female basketball players not getting any love on the basketball section:

    http://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...2#post12370362
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    The WWE thing doesn't carry weight IMO. Just because a WWE Diva poses in Playboy doesn't generate attention for the "sport". I would venture that 99.9% of the people who buy the magazine because a Diva is in it are already WWE fans. Ask any non-WWE fan what they think of Maryse posing in Playboy and I guarantee you that their first response will be "Who is Maryse?"
    That pretty much sums it up right there.

    If a celebrity/athlete were to pose for Playboy its not going to bring any new fans to that specific athlete/sport, the only people who are going to be interested in it are the already fans of the person in question. Sure you may get one or two new fans because of the pose but they aren't going to be fans of the sport, they're just going to be fans of what you did.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Red Wings Past Present and Future!


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    Yes they have better jumpshots that you or I but like you said you have no idea who any of them are. They need to do something to market their sport. I know that (I have read an article on this so please do not jump on me for saying this) that the wnba does a huge job working with the gay and lesbian community and promoting their sport among them which I have no problem with them doing that but straight males are what drives sports in this country and they need to do something to get more of them in there.

    Also check out my female basketball players not getting any love on the basketball section:

    http://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...2#post12370362
    So would posing nude become a contractual obligation? I mean if they are going to pimp their bodies for their sport they might as well earn a bonus or something for it, right? Heck, why not just have them all play naked? Problem solved.

    For the record, I oppose any athlete posing nude. If Hines Ward did Playgirl or Tom Brady did gay porn I would be just as opposed.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    So would posing nude become a contractual obligation? I mean if they are going to pimp their bodies for their sport they might as well earn a bonus or something for it, right? Heck, why not just have them all play naked? Problem solved.

    For the record, I oppose any athlete posing nude. If Hines Ward did Playgirl or Tom Brady did gay porn I would be just as opposed.

    I would love to see some of the ladies in the wnba play naked but since this is a family forum I am not going to continue with that line of thought. Also you are comparing apples to oranges talking about Brady or Hines Ward posing in playgirl. The NFL is what it is. None of the ballplayers need to pose in playgirl for marketing purposes. Hell since most of the nfl fans are straight red blodded men they would lose fans if any of them posed in playgirl. Also playgirl despite touted as entertainment for women is really targeted towards gay men and that is not the demographic that the nfl is marketed to.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Would the wnba not be using these women essentially as (please do not get offended) prostitutes if they used the players' bodies to generate more interest - money to the league?

    The reason I don't like the wmba is because they don't have a colorado team, and when I went to a CSU womens basketball it was pretty bad.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    Would the wnba not be using these women essentially as (please do not get offended) prostitutes if they used the players' bodies to generate more interest - money to the league?

    The reason I don't like the wmba is because they don't have a colorado team, and when I went to a CSU womens basketball it was pretty bad.

    I was watching a comedian once and he pretty much said that going to work at a conventional job is akin to being a prostitute. Someone who works a regular job just like a prostitute are doing the same thing. Both are getting up and leaving their house to be paid to do something that they do not want to do. But getting back to your question I don't think that the wnba should pressure anyone to pose nude but they should let it be know that if any of them do decide to do so they will not be shunned but instead celebrated and will ultimately end up with more marketing opportunites and thefore putting more money in their pockets.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •