Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Let's talk about HELL...

So this is it....this is the MOST important reason why so many people choose to believe in religions.

They fear HELL!

It's not about wanting to go to heaven.....it's about AVOIDING hell.

I clearly remember being a christian and thinking...."I really don't care about heaven, I'm just terrified of burning for eternity".

Anyways, this fear is the driving force to NEVER question the things about the religion.

Think about it.

If someone held a gun to your head telling you that the only thing you have to do is believe in me, you wouldn't question this because you fear that the second you do, the person holding the gun will shoot you.

Hell is the biggest reason why I despise religion.

It's not god that bothers me, it's not the bible, it's not the inconsistencies, it's the terrorist tactic of telling people that if you don't believe you will go to hell forever and ever regardless of what type of person you were.

I'm sometimes told as an atheist, that the reason I turned into an atheist is because I choose to ignore the warning of hell, I want to live a "sinful" life and I don't want to be "accountable" to god.

This is purely nonsense.

When I do something bad (such as lying, cheat, or steal) I AM accountable!

I'm accountable to those I have hurt directly and indirectly......and the "moral" thing to do is NOT to ask forgiveness to god, it's to ask forgiveness to those I have hurt.

Hell, is nothing more than a control mechanism, to keep the sheep from wandering off....it is the "Big bad wolf" that will devour you if you have the notion to think for yourself and question why the things are the way they are.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

So this is it....this is the MOST important reason why so many people choose to believe in religions.

They fear HELL!

It's not about wanting to go to heaven.....it's about AVOIDING hell.

I clearly remember being a christian and thinking...."I really don't care about heaven, I'm just terrified of burning for eternity".

Anyways, this fear is the driving force to NEVER question the things about the religion.

Think about it.

If someone held a gun to your head telling you that the only thing you have to do is believe in me, you wouldn't question this because you fear that the second you do, the person holding the gun will shoot you.

Hell is the biggest reason why I despise religion.

It's not god that bothers me, it's not the bible, it's not the inconsistencies, it's the terrorist tactic of telling people that if you don't believe you will go to hell forever and ever regardless of what type of person you were.

I'm sometimes told as an atheist, that the reason I turned into an atheist is because I choose to ignore the warning of hell, I want to live a "sinful" life and I don't want to be "accountable" to god.

This is purely nonsense.

When I do something bad (such as lying, cheat, or steal) I AM accountable!

I'm accountable to those I have hurt directly and indirectly......and the "moral" thing to do is NOT to ask forgiveness to god, it's to ask forgiveness to those I have hurt.

Hell, is nothing more than a control mechanism, to keep the sheep from wandering off....it is the "Big bad wolf" that will devour you if you have the notion to think for yourself and question why the things are the way they are.

Have you ever considered religions that dont have a hell per se like the big 3 do?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Have you ever considered religions that dont have a hell per se like the big 3 do?

Yes....I have considered them.

By the way, Jews don't believe in hell since it was never mentioned in the Old testament.

In the end I noticed that the ones that don't believe in hell care more about being a good person simply because that is a reward in of itself (such as Judaism and Buddhism) and they don't do the things they do to go to heaven or avoid hell.

I'm against Judaism because they still guide their life with the horrific rules of the OT.

And Buddhism is indeed a nice religion (one of the few I have nothing bad to say) I just don't see any reason to join them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

What if you are secure in knowing your going to hell?

SCF Rewards
    Country

What if you are secure in knowing your going to hell?

???

Are you talking about Pascal's wager?

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

There is no such place as Hell. Put down the Kool-Aid.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

why are you so intrigued with something you don't believe in nor can prove either way?

you cannot disprove the big 3, nor the OT or NT

SCF Rewards
    Country

why are you so intrigued with something you don't believe in nor can prove either way?

you cannot disprove the big 3, nor the OT or NT

Because it is the biggest reason why people fear to think about the things they believe in.

Even I did.

I was always afraid to question god because I thought that was a one way ticket to hell.

I may not be able to disprove any religion but the evidence is skewed against them, furthermore, all religions CAN'T be correct (since they are mutually exclusive) however, all of them COULD be incorrect.

There is no such place as Hell. Put down the Kool-Aid.

Actually I'm an atheist, and I don't believe in hell, but in this thread I'm playing devil's advocate (lol, no pun intended).

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Jay, he's putting forth a viewpoint and basically telling people to challenge it. That tells me he's trying to figure things out and this is his way of opening discussion. That's a good thing.

Alex, I couldn't agree more on this particular. The concept of hell makes no sense at all. The Bible says God cast Satan to earth, not hell. It says a lot of things, but hell isn't really mentioned. Lots of fire, even a lake made of it, but not an eternal damnation to a place of torture. The wicked shall be thrown into the lake of fire and destroyed, not tortured forever by Satan, because he too shall be destroyed.
    Judaism has no hell. Neither do Jehovah's Witnesses. The idea that God is loving but will torture you forever is ridiculous.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

my opinion is what we think of as hell is man made, but there is a place besides Heaven you can go when your body dies and your soul is judged. there is no doubt, Jesus even spoke of it himself.
    Hell that is filled with demons and torture is as man made as the devil with his pitchfork.

Alex, I am still waiting for a logical discussion on the basis of human evolutuion
    wickabee, point taken

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast